• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1949 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Electress said:
LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
Lexman said:
Bertie won't continue : on sporza they told the story that Bertie drank a glass of wine earlier in the Vuelta and said, in a fe days/or a week or so I can do that every day....

he's out of the peloton in 3 days from now and you may thank whatever you believe in that you have seen him live and or on television in action, He alone makes Sky tremble ...
Yeah. I don't think Contador is completely done with cycling. He's just longing for life after cycling. Can't chase La Decima forever
This; he obviously still enjoys racing and cycling but he is just tired of the sacrifices, he wants to have a normal life. I really don't think anything can convince him to continue till next year's Giro. But I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a comeback in 2019 because he misses the racing and feels he cut his career short, I don't think it's likely, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I don't think he'll come back. I think he'll understand he cannot hope to repeat the experience he is having now. Bear in mind he also saw Lance's comeback at close range.

But I agree I think he's tired of the sacrifice.
Well maybe he just knows 2 things about coming back

Don't pick the team with your successor
Don't be an ********
You don't need to double the post. A mod is trolling us :surprised: :D
Tomorrow rui costa will win

Re:

Frankschleck said:
anyone think he will backtrack on his retirement :D

I don't think he'll "un-retire", but you never know. I really think after the disappointments of the previous few years, he is really enjoying this Vuelta. I think he knows in his heart and mind that he still has the force and form to be the best in the world, especially after this last week. He will certainly be disappointed in the Andorra stage, but that's racing and he's done everything he can to stay in it. Who knows what the next 2 days will bring!

Life is a numbers game, and it is also based on time.

Time is of the essence. That's what they say. And this especially seemed so as we watched the clock, waiting, waiting, and then waiting some more, for Alberto Contador to arrive at the finish of stage 3. It was the stage that ruined the 2017 Vuelta. Apparently.

Because it is written, that that stage made the race all the more incredible.

Being the 2017 edition, it makes perfect sense that it was stage 17 that told us all that we needed to know. About not just who the great one was for this era, but for this race. We saw the climbing; we saw the cadence. We saw that nobody could live with that, just as they hadn't been able to on so many occasions, so many times before.

And for those of us who could see it....we already knew.

3:34. Three, Three, Four.

Three Giro's. Three Tour's. Four Vuelta's. Won on the road. For what else could it possibly mean?

Stage 18 emphasised it all the more; as the time gap stayed the same. A warning to the sky, rather than from it, of the carnage that lay ahead.

And of the outcome.

That Alberto Contador will win this bike race.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

gregrowlerson said:
Life is a numbers game, and it is also based on time.

Time is of the essence. That's what they say. And this especially seemed so as we watched the clock, waiting, waiting, and then waiting some more, for Alberto Contador to arrive at the finish of stage 3. It was the stage that ruined the 2017 Vuelta. Apparently.

Because it is written, that that stage made the race all the more incredible.

Being the 2017 edition, it makes perfect sense that it was stage 17 that told us all that we needed to know. About not just who the great one was for this era, but for this race. We saw the climbing; we saw the cadence. We saw that nobody could live with that, just as they hadn't been able to on so many occasions, so many times before.

And for those of us who could see it....we already knew.

3:34. Three, Three, Four.

Three Giro's. Three Tour's. Four Vuelta's. Won on the road. For what else could it possibly mean?

Stage 18 emphasised it all the more; as the time gap stayed the same. A warning to the sky, rather than from it, of the carnage that lay ahead.

And of the outcome.

That Alberto Contador will win this bike race.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Re:

portugal11 said:
Tomorrow heavy rain on angliru. Contador has a chance!!
Is rain good for him though? I have heard quite often that it's difficult to ride out of the saddle on super steep gradients if the road is wet. I mean, the road was wet on stage 17 too and he smoked everyone but still, maybe he would have been even better in dry conditions. Hard to imagine but I doubt guys like for example flecha who talked about that disadvantage for riders like Contador just make these things up.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Gigs_98 said:
portugal11 said:
Tomorrow heavy rain on angliru. Contador has a chance!!
Is rain good for him though? I have heard quite often that it's difficult to ride out of the saddle on super steep gradients if the road is wet. I mean, the road was wet on stage 17 too and he smoked everyone but still, maybe he would have been even better in dry conditions. Hard to imagine but I doubt guys like for example flecha who talked about that disadvantage for riders like Contador just make these things up.
It is perfect. He adapts better to those conditions than almost everyone in the peloton.

Gigs_98 said:
Will anyone not cry on Sunday?

I surely will.....but life goes on.

What I've learned from watching Legends leave the scene is that they have added to my life experience and I appreciate and admire them to this day. My list is Very Short, Alberto is the first addition since Pantani. Hopefully before I leave this earth I'll get to see another of Legendary status, fingers crossed.

Meanwhile Enjoy what he has to give us 3 more times!

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
3 more days... how will I cope? :(

With 1 minute (1.17) Alberto reaches the 3rd or 4th place
With 2 minutes Alberto reaches the second position.
With 3 minutes (3.35 ") he wins the Tour
----------------------------
Reminder: the losses of Alberto in the TTT + Andorra = 3.25 "

EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE YET :) :) :) :)

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Just heard Julien Bernard interviewed..."very proud to be working for Alberto on his last tour; he's a real champion and a super bloke to work for; always thanking his team mates."

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Ariane said:
Just heard Julien Bernard interviewed..."very proud to be working for Alberto on his last tour; he's a real champion and a super bloke to work for; always thanking his team mates."
.....Also said they had no particular plan for today, but were going to 'play it by ear'!

TRENDING THREADS