• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 2003 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Let's forget Lance. I subscribe to the Velocast podcast and Ashley House (Eurosport commentator) had a short interview with Alberto in English. Unfortunately it's behind a paywall, but I always get a kick listening to Alberto speak English. He's really improved and I hope that he will do some Gran Fondos or other rides where he can mingle with fans. He's just a great guy and I miss his racing style. That said, I'm very happy that he's enjoying life beyond racing.

Re: Re:

Lequack said:
Carols said:
Lequack said:
Carols said:
Lequack said:
If you're angry about Lance now then read this (from another user on the forum):
"MSNBC reported Armstrong cleated $1 million in sales for his podcast and merchandising in the 3 weeks of the Tour :cool:"

Meanwhile Sky reigned in just about 700k in prize money and they were by far the best earning team, the top 5 being:
Team Sky €728,630
Sunweb €245,280
LottoNL-Jumbo €190,980
Quick-Step Floors €145,070
Bora-Hansgrohe €125,900

Source: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/how-much-money-riders-win-tour-de-france-254417

What does Lances cheating (as always) and team TdF earnings have to do with Alberto Contador? Just asking :)

Well by creating controversy he gains viewers and more cash :)
It's a great marketing strategy.

Who Lance? This is the Alberto thread.

Yes but the last two pages have been about Lance for some reason.

Which is why it would be real nice if it stopped and returned to Alberto :)

Re:

benzwire said:
Let's forget Lance. I subscribe to the Velocast podcast and Ashley House (Eurosport commentator) had a short interview with Alberto in English. Unfortunately it's behind a paywall, but I always get a kick listening to Alberto speak English. He's really improved and I hope that he will do some Gran Fondos or other rides where he can mingle with fans. He's just a great guy and I miss his racing style. That said, I'm very happy that he's enjoying life beyond racing.
Would you mind providing a short summary of the interview?

LaFlorecita said:
benzwire said:

The interview took place before Stage 17. They discussed the race to that point and what he thought of the main riders. He said that the situation with Froome and Thomas makes it very interesting for us as spectators. He said he didn't think Froome was at the same level as previous Tours, but that it may be due to having the Giro in his legs (along with Dumolin). Ashley also mentioned that Alberto rode the last climb that morning and broke the Strava record by 8 minutes, even after being stuck behind a truck at some point. They both had a good laugh about it. Asked if he thought he would have the record by the end of the day, Alberto said no. "Noooo.... I put out big watts, a big surprise for me. I tried to go bah, bah, bah, bah! And then in the final I had good numbers, I did 55 minutes I think, but I think today the winner will come in with 51, 52.."
I tried to do that verbatim, so imagine it in his voice :D . The guy just sounds happy and I really hope he continues to do more interviews and media in English.

benzwire said:
LaFlorecita said:
benzwire said:

The interview took place before Stage 17. They discussed the race to that point and what he thought of the main riders. He said that the situation with Froome and Thomas makes it very interesting for us as spectators. He said he didn't think Froome was at the same level as previous Tours, but that it may be due to having the Giro in his legs (along with Dumolin). Ashley also mentioned that Alberto rode the last climb that morning and broke the Strava record by 8 minutes, even after being stuck behind a truck at some point. They both had a good laugh about it. Asked if he thought he would have the record by the end of the day, Alberto said no. "Noooo.... I put out big watts, a big surprise for me. I tried to go bah, bah, bah, bah! And then in the final I had good numbers, I did 55 minutes I think, but I think today the winner will come in with 51, 52.."
I tried to do that verbatim, so imagine it in his voice :D . The guy just sounds happy and I really hope he continues to do more interviews and media in English.

Thanks! He does seem very happy in retirement :).

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Tour de Hongrie is in progress, and Polartec-Kometa is racing here, and Alberto Contador is visiting the race!
He's going to give the start signal tomorrow, and is already in Hungary, which is good, because he'd just given an interview on the national TV.

There were pretty usual questions about his retirement and how happy he is for Moschetti's win (very), and his foundation (they were good questions, but he said nothing new), but there were interesting ones too.
They asked him if his team is going to show the same attacking style as him. His answer was a little evasive, like he was flustered by being singled out and praised so, but he said he hopes to encourage it.
There was a strange question about getting to the top with his team, and he was again evasive, like he was too modest and didn't want to talk about big things like going pro, even though that was what they wanted to hear.
He's going to visit a hungarian continental team to give some advice (Pannon cycling team is also sponsored by Kometa) and also to learn new things. (haha, very nice of him to say so.) Both him and Basso hinted at looking around for hungarian talents, which I personally find pretty exciting. I know it might just be PR, but here in Hungary, it's a big thing that he and Basso came here for the Tour de Hongrie, and they plan to come back (Kometa has huge interests in Hungary). Apparently he's having projects with Kometa.
He was speaking Spanish and it was translated to Hungarian, so the translation might be off at some places, but it seemed mostly OK to me.
All in all, I really liked the interview, he seems to be happy and confident.

Thanks a lot for providing a summary, I came to post that he appeared on Hungarian TV :D
I've noticed he often gets a bit uncomfortable/embarrassed when asked personal questions, he doesn't like to talk about himself too much it seems.
I'll be watching for him in tomorrow's highlights.

It would be cool if they could add a Hungarian rider to their roster. They are at the right race to spot potential talent ;)

Re:

Simurgh said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/alberto-contador-the-real-star-of-the-vuelta/

Great article to read, one year after his farewell in Madrid. A true hero, and a great legacy, he leaves behind. In some decades, I am sure he still will be in the minds of cycling fans, young and old like, just as when we think of Hinault, Merckx, Anquetil, Pantani (too young to have witnessed any of them, unfortunately) and others.

Indeed he will be remember long after we are all dust in the wind.

Looking at the Vuelta we've had so far, boy is a rider with the attitude of Contador Missing!!! Feel good Attack, feel bad Attack, feel meh Attack! :)

Carols said:
Simurgh said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/alberto-contador-the-real-star-of-the-vuelta/

Great article to read, one year after his farewell in Madrid. A true hero, and a great legacy, he leaves behind. In some decades, I am sure he still will be in the minds of cycling fans, young and old like, just as when we think of Hinault, Merckx, Anquetil, Pantani (too young to have witnessed any of them, unfortunately) and others.

Indeed he will be remember long after we are all dust in the wind.

Looking at the Vuelta we've had so far, boy is a rider with the attitude of Contador Missing!!! Feel good Attack, feel bad Attack, feel meh Attack! :)
It is articles like these that give me goosebumps, and probably always will. He has been sorely missing this season.

Re:

Simurgh said:

<3
Man, just remembering that Vuelta gets me all emotional

Dm6DVakX4AAPLuL.jpg

Dm6AxaBW4AAyzch.jpg

25iavc5.png

https://twitter.com/lavuelta/status/1039924828797591552

Re:

Simurgh said:
Bola del Mundo surely is longer than a 15 minute climb, right? :confused: remember in 2012, how I was so afraid that he had blown up that last day up la Bola, with both Purito and Valverde riding away from him!
The Bola del Mundo is just the structure at the top I believe, the climb includes the Puerto de Navacerrada, and then the goat track up to the top. So this is just that final section.

Edit:
ColladoBola.gif

Re:

Simurgh said:
Bola del Mundo surely is longer than a 15 minute climb, right? :confused: remember in 2012, how I was so afraid that he had blown up that last day up la Bola, with both Purito and Valverde riding away from him!
As far as I remember, it was first towards the end of the climb that Valverde distanced Alberto. So I was never really afraid of him losing the Vuelta that day. And Rodriguez was even further away in the overall, so not a threat.

His 2012 ascent time is 14:13, so it's really quite impressive that he's still in such good shape.

Cance > TheRest said:
Simurgh said:
As far as I remember, it was first towards the end of the climb that Valverde distanced Alberto. So I was never really afraid of him losing the Vuelta that day. And Rodriguez was even further away in the overall, so not a threat.

His 2012 ascent time is 14:13, so it's really quite impressive that he's still in such good shape.

Who is it in your new profile pic?

Cance > TheRest said:
Simurgh said:

Well, obviously a difference between end of a stage at the end of a 3-week race and a solitary training ride, and possibly he didn't go quite as fast on the Puerto de Navacerrada. But yeah, he's clearly still very fit, but that's hardly surprising, he looks quite lean and wasn't exactly worn out when he retired last year.

tobydawq said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Simurgh said:

Who is it in your new profile pic?
Vinicius Rangel Costa

TRENDING THREADS