• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 2013 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I started watching in 09 and didn't really start liking Contador till 11. The previous years I was rooting for Schleck.
I guess thats kind of common. Contador was just too perfect from 2008 till 2010. Schleck more the underdog. So I was rooting for Schleck too, especially in 2010 when he really came close. But still in the Astana fight it was all Contador for me vs. Armstrong.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
For me Contador was the lesser (by far) of two evils in 2009.

I rooted for him to beat Armstrong.

However, after his 2010 DQ and his complete lack of repentance, he lost all respect as far as i was concerned, and it was imperative that he had to go.

I find it significant that he never again won a stage of the TDF, wore yellow even for a day, and never even podiumed. i was relieved when he finally retired.

Now, if only we could get rid of valverde...

...then we could enjoy cycling.

But stay wary.

Always.

Reactions: Cookster15

However, after his 2010 DQ and his complete lack of repentance, he lost all respect as far as i was concerned, and it was imperative that he had to go.

I find it significant that he never again won a stage of the TDF, wore yellow even for a day, and never even podiumed. i was relieved when he finally retired.

But stay wary.

Always.

I have noticed you have been very outspoken on these matters for a number of years - well done. I have sympathy for your point of view. There is considerable group think in these forums which I think is reflective of some of the problems in the sport and professional sport in general - linked to fan expectations of what is acceptable. I am not sure we will ever see the answer here but at least it’s on the record.

Reactions: Big Doopie

But stay wary.

Always.

He was close on a couple occasions. Who knows what would have happened in 2014 or if he didn't try all the different attacks to try and gain time. Without Froome/team Sky in 2013 Contador most likely wins but that's how the cookie crumbles. It was also sad he couldn't officially win a stage in the Giro.

He was close on a couple occasions. Who knows what would have happened in 2014 or if he didn't try all the different attacks to try and gain time. Without Froome/team Sky in 2013 Contador most likely wins but that's how the cookie crumbles. It was also sad he couldn't officially win a stage in the Giro.
It's hard to say. Of course Sky and Froome played a big role on roasting Berto on the climbs, causing him to burn out and lose more time than necessary, OTOH Quintana wouldn't have had Sky train chasing him down. But it's crazy to think Berto was second on GC going into the final mountain stage. In my mind he was miles behind that Tour, which he was behind Froome of course, but if not for Froome and Sky he'd be battling it out with Quintana for the victory.

It's hard to say. Of course Sky and Froome played a big role on roasting Berto on the climbs, causing him to burn out and lose more time than necessary, OTOH Quintana wouldn't have had Sky train chasing him down. But it's crazy to think Berto was second on GC going into the final mountain stage. In my mind he was miles behind that Tour, which he was behind Froome of course, but if not for Froome and Sky he'd be battling it out with Quintana for the victory.

He wouldn't have attacked anywhere near as much as he did (most likely because closer in GC time) and Tinkoff was really good overall and Kreuziger and Contador were inseparable. It would have been close with Quintana.

Reactions: Poursuivant

Joaquin Rodrigues also helped out big time against Contador that tour. On the crosswinds stage, when Froome was down to like 1 other rider, Purito sent his team to chase at the front. May have cost Conta 2 minutes

Reactions: TourOfSardinia
I started watching in 09 and didn't really start liking Contador till 11. The previous years I was rooting for Schleck.

I just rewatched 2011 TdF stages 18/19. That was one of the best back to back mtn stage combos I can recall and what a wide open field compared to the Sky domination that followed. Contador was just such a graceful rider. Schleck had a great race too. I don't think Evans gets enough credit for winning. He played it cool, was strong when he needed to be.

• Love
Reactions: Simurgh
I guess thats kind of common. Contador was just too perfect from 2008 till 2010. Schleck more the underdog. So I was rooting for Schleck too, especially in 2010 when he really came close. But still in the Astana fight it was all Contador for me vs. Armstrong.
I was a big fan at the start of my cycling following of Cadel Evans being an Aussie it was the exposure here. Evans and Contador had heaps of great battles, probably even more than Shleck. Became a huge Contador fan after all of this, loved his style. Still love cadel for his grit and grinding never give up attitude and the same for Contador.

I just rewatched 2011 TdF stages 18/19. That was one of the best back to back mtn stage combos I can recall and what a wide open field compared to the Sky domination that followed. Contador was just such a graceful rider. Schleck had a great race too. I don't think Evans gets enough credit for winning. He played it cool, was strong when he needed to be.
Evans definitely knew his limits and worked well within them. Reminds me of a guy on Jumbo....

Hmmm.

Interesting.

Good post.

I didn't want to deprive anyone of the joy of googling "Contador" and seeing the news of his triumph but...
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/alberto-contador-sets-new-everesting-record/

Says he was doing it as a test of his company's bike and he specifically set up the parameters of the ride around that test. 1km repeats of a 12% average grade, hit a high speed of close to 60mph / 100 kmh so was absolutely flying. Get the man back in the peloton!

TRENDING THREADS