• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Aleksandr Vlasov discussion thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think for Primoz Roglic, sadly, it will be difficult to go for the TdF win in 2022 - because of his knee back problems. Vlasov, however, certainly has chances to beat Pogacar and win the TdF 2022.

Pogacar is the five star favourite for the Tour, and I would give Vlasov four and a half stars.

Let‘s wait what the next weeks will bring, but at the moment, I‘d say Vlasov is the rider who has good chances to beat Pogacar.

Enric Mas, for example, certainly won‘t beat Pogi. He is not strong enough. Vlasov in top shape, however, could be on a level with Pogacar.

One thing is for sure: Vlasov won‘t start the Tour 2022 to go for the podium. He will start to win it. We‘ll see if it‘s possible… :)

I think for Primoz Roglic, sadly, it will be difficult to go for the TdF win in 2022 - because of his knee back problems. Vlasov, however, certainly has chances to beat Pogacar and win the TdF 2022.

Pogacar is the five star favourite for the Tour, and I would give Vlasov four and a half stars.

Let‘s wait what the next weeks will bring, but at the moment, I‘d say Vlasov is the rider who has good chances to beat Pogacar.

Enric Mas, for example, certainly won‘t beat Pogi. He is not strong enough. Vlasov in top shape, however, could be on a level with Pogacar.

One thing is for sure: Vlasov won‘t start the Tour 2022 to go for the podium. He will start to win it. We‘ll see if it‘s possible… :)

Nah, too high expectations. Vlasov is very good, but Pogacars climbing ability is at another level. Pogacar needs to have bad luck in order for Vlasov to beat him.

Roglic in top shape is also still better than Vlasov. And I think Martinez is a tad better as well for the time being because I don’t think that Martinez has been dropped by anyone yet this season. So for now I think a podium for Vlasov would be ambitious enough heading into the tour.

Nah, too high expectations. Vlasov is very good, but Pogacars climbing ability is at another level. Pogacar needs to have bad luck in order for Vlasov to beat him.

Roglic in top shape is also still better than Vlasov. And I think Martinez is a tad better as well for the time being because I don’t think that Martinez has been dropped by anyone yet this season. So for now I think a podium for Vlasov would be ambitious enough heading into the tour.

Agree, Martinez could be very dangerous in this year‘s Tour.

For BORA, a podium with Vlasov would be really good, I agree. Buchmann was 4th and Kelderman 5th, for them. Podium would be the next step…

Vlasov has failed to consistently show the ability to be at the pointy end in 30+ minute climbs - He needs to develop his endurance to be a serious GC contender.

He also been a young rider still developing.

He has been 11th and 4th in the two GTs he has finished.

He has been showing another level this year... wouldnt be too farfetched at all to see him getting on the podium, but the competition will be a lot tougher in the Tour. His first time riding the Tour also.

Vlasov has failed to consistently show the ability to be at the pointy end in 30+ minute climbs - He needs to develop his endurance to be a serious GC contender.
Yesterday was close to a 30 minute climb. The day before was a 30+ minute climb. When he was in top-shape he won on the Ventoux. He almost won on the Angliru.

He has struggled on occasions, but he was also very good on occasions.

Wait, what? Theres no chance at all Vlasov has the ability to go head to head with Pog at the moment. If Pog is the 5 star favourite, Roglic has 3,5 stars and Martinez, Vingegaard and maybe Vlasov sits at 3 stars.

Reactions: AlfaLum
Today he closed that gap with ease to Fuglsang. Those two seem to be the strongest at the moment.

It will be interesting ho good Vlasov goes now in the high mountains. Also there's no time to but everything in tomorrow. Of course because of the TT they have to get rid of Kung and Thomas but I think after everything we saw from him this week that should be doable. I'm more interested if Bora is setting up a mountain train for him and if they control the break.

Could be that they also want to give Großschartner and Higuita a chance. They have only 2 domestiques left after Wandahl abandoned so they probably will ask too much of Haller and Palzer ton control the race until the last mountain. It probably depends on how bad they want to win it.

I think people kind of underestimate Vlasov for the Tour at the moment. I would see him as the one guy that sits in his own tier behind Pogacar, Roglic and Vingegaard. All other possible guys for a Top 5 have more questionsmarks in my opinion. I still wouldn't count Ineos out but i can only see Martinez being strong enough. Mas is always there but had a bad year. O'Connor is in good form so he will be in the running. All others (Haig, Caruso, Quintana, Thomas, Yates brothers) would really suprise me in the Top 5 if no one of the favourites crahses out.

For Vlasov it will be an interesting task to come through the first week without any time loss. I don't know if he has done cobbles up until now and he and the team look a little bit shaky in the Paris-Nice Crosswinds. Will they give him the full team support in the first week with probably Bennett in the race and Politt dreaming of a stage win in the Roubaix stage?

For Vlasov it will be an interesting task to come through the first week without any time loss. I don't know if he has done cobbles up until now and he and the team look a little bit shaky in the Paris-Nice Crosswinds. Will they give him the full team support in the first week with probably Bennett in the race and Politt dreaming of a stage win in the Roubaix stage?

Bennet is probably expecting van Poppel, Mullen and maybe even Archbold to be there. That makes the team weak for GC work.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Bennet is probably expecting van Poppel, Mullen and maybe even Archbold to be there. That makes the team weak for GC work.
I think they will bring Bennett. But judging by his current display of form it is just a nomination to avoid further fallout with one year still on the contract. If Vlasov shows the numbers to be competitive in the GC and Bennett can't even hold the wheel of his leadout man that will have influence on the team nomination and the allocation of forces within the race (i hope). Vlasov should get more help even if those guys also go for the stage win on select stages.

I think Vlasov could profit from a helper of Hindley's quality, but among the possible candidates there isn't anyone who can be expected with him in the last parts of a hard stage anyway. So I guess it doesn't matter much. His team won't have the responsibility of controlling stages. If he gets two good doms to help him get some bottles or a spare bike I think he's going to be fine on his own. He really seems in great form, let's see how he ends Suisse. I am already dreaming of O'Connor and Vlasov on the podium. :tearsofjoy:

My favorite lineup would be
Vlasov, Schachmann, Konrad, Großschartner, Politt, van Poppel, Haller and Kämna

Enough help for the hills, flat and classic stages for Vlasov. They could even go stage hunting with really strong riders, if Vlasov isn't racing for the top3.

But I think they will take Bennett. But he surely doesn't deserve a train.
Vlasov, Schachmann, Konrad, Großschartner, Politt, van Poppel,Bennett and Kämna/Haller

My favorite lineup would be
Vlasov, Schachmann, Konrad, Großschartner, Politt, van Poppel, Haller and Kämna

Enough help for the hills, flat and classic stages for Vlasov. They could even go stage hunting with really strong riders, if Vlasov isn't racing for the top3.

But I think they will take Bennett. But he surely doesn't deserve a train.
Vlasov, Schachmann, Konrad, Großschartner, Politt, van Poppel,Bennett and Kämna/Haller

I'm absolutely sure they'll go for the podium with him.

Hopefully he recovers well in time for Le Tour. The line-up discussed by Fasser would be excellent. On paper, Vlasov should be one of the best GC contenders for the Roubaix stage. He should have good support (Van Poppel, Pollitt), he is very good at positioning and is good at flat terrain.

I have him as the 4th overall favourite after Pogacar and the duo from Jumbo. Possibly in the same level as the INEOS riders, but I don't have much confidence in Thomas, especially given how crash prone he is. I'm intrigued by Martinez but he is a bit of unknown in terms of three week racing.

As for the rest (A.Yates, Caruso, O'Connor, Mas, Haig) if Vlasov shows in the high mountains the same level as in his 2022 season, they should be below Aleks in overall terms.

My only doubts with him come in the high mountains, he underperformed in Giro 2021. However, he looks much better this year.

TRENDING THREADS