• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

All round bike, what to get...

A

Anonymous

Well, in about three months time i am going to get the redundancy cheque for about 9 years work...

Much of it is going to be spent on next years holiday, and a few other bits n bobs, maybe going to roubaix, etc.. but, finally after ten years off the bike its time for me to find a new one..

The following criteria...
looking around the £500-£700 mark.. ideally the £500 end cos then i can afford the garmin that i really want... We dont have a massive amount of money, and this is probably the one chance in the next few years to get one, but i dont want to spend too much.. the wife says its your money you earnt it, but im the sort of person who feels guilty spending £50 on myself...

a) Im not going to start serious road riding again, but i do love the feel of a road bike, its what im comfortable with...
b) however, i do a lot of riding with the wife so a serious performance bike is not needed.. it needs to be good enough that i want to go out and ride alone for three four hours when i need a break (this comes back to my anxiety).. but it doesnt need to be top level, especially as it will make her feel a bit awkward
c) riding with her we do a mixture of sensible cycle ways, some road, some more muddy off road

my initial thought is the boardman..
either the performance version £500
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_502571_langId_-1_categoryId_165534
or the team version £650
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_502585_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

i cant find much difference between the performance and the pro to justify £800...
can i justify £150 on the performance version over the standard version...???? that would pay for the garmin.. :D

and what other things are there in that price range that are comparible...

im thinking this is probably what will be most suited to me...

(i do love my crappy old £200 touring bike.. poor thing has had too many miles put on it though.., and the peugot.. one day i will rebuild it)

and yeh.. i know £500-£650 on a bike isnt much compared to what some people have... but i aint proud.. its about getting back on the bike seriously, rather than a hundred k a week, and on a bike i love.

A

Anonymous

ok.. ive been through the full specs for the performance and team versions and the differences are below...
sviec4.jpg

is the £150 price difference justifiable...?

and then what else is there in that price range...?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Dim, never ridden either of these bikes. they do look versatile though.

I'd say that losing approx 1.5 pounds of weight for £150 extra is good value. I think that the big difference will be in the ride characteristics between a straight blade aluminium fork (likely to be harsh) versus the curved carbon fork (likely to be less harsh, especially with the steel steerer).

if you're riding off road, make sure that here's enough clearance on the fork and chain stays to fit a decent pair of cross tyres!

bon chance!

A

Anonymous

off road here is nothing overly serious.. gravel, occasional shallow mud with odd tree roots etc, but not serious off road..

ive never used disc brakes in my life, what are the fundemental differences between mechanical and hydraulic...

the price range is fairly key.. i know how much im getting, and about £800 is set aside to get the wife the handful of driving lessons she needs to finish learning to drive, and a very cheap first car that she can kill the clutch on.. so a similar price for a bike for me...

looking at those prices the £649 one leaves me a bit of room afterwards to buy a few bits, the £500 means i can have the garmin edge i dream of (which yes, i know £200 for sat nav is ridiculous and excessive.. do i really need one, no, i dunno..

if anyone knows of bikes in the boardman price range would appreciate it.. its gonna be two months before im ready to buy it..

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Make sure you test ride the bike

I would never buy a bike I haven't test ridden. I worked at a shop that sold a lot of bikes similar to the ones you are looking at. In the US, though, so they were Cannondale and Specialized. You'd be surprised how different bikes can have a totally different feel, even when apparently very similar. I agree with Lug that, in general, a carbon fork will be much smoother than an aluminum fork but I've ridden bikes with aluminum forks that I would choose over other bikes with carbon forks. You won't know until you try it.

As to the disk brake differences, it doesn't sound like you will see much of a difference with the riding you will be doing. Hydraulics tend to require less hand effort and have better feel than mechanicals which you will notice on long downhills and steep technical sections. That being said, the Juicy 3's aren't my favorite hydraulics so for my money I would probably choose the BB5s.

YMMV.

A

Anonymous

my gut is with the cheaper option, but, this is the first big money purchase for 20 years, so its going to be a long think over the winter.. the advatanges of the cheaper option gives me room to invest in slightly more robust tyres something like the Specialized Armadillo which should fit ok on those wheels, and a few other bits and bobs...

Going to have a look at what specialized bikes are available that are similar...

Our local bike shop in the city is almost 100% trek...

the comparable lower end trek seems to be the valencia which spec wise doesnt seem close to the lower level boardman
http://www.1stgearcycles.com/store/...fjH5fCvEWBkHYarDO2atO16khJVhOuDSTXHDHJzyAErTv

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Closest to what you are looking at in the Specialized is the Sirrus, but it doesn't come with disk brakes. In Cannondale I was thinking of the Quick, but it doesn't come with disks either. Between the two I liked the Quick.

Maybe this is the bike for you? :)

Stylin!
vanmoof_no3_highdef_smallsiProduct.jpg

No more loose hanging cables! No more rusty dynamo’s dangling in your spokes! No more lights stolen off your bike! VANMOOF has arrived. Current model with the technical upgrades; Brooks saddle,...

* Schwalbe road cruiser tires
* 28”or 26” anodized alu rims
* Antirust stretch proof chain\
* Solar lights
* 13 kg

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Dim,
You guys have Craigs List in the UK? Have a look there.
My friend spent $7,500 on a Colnago Mapei Team bike. I couldn't believe it!
IT"S A BICYCLE!!! Not to mention he seldom rides anymore.

For what it's worth, I would go for good value. Depending on how much riding you do, I'd go with what would suit your needs. Five or six years ago, I finally replaced my Schwinn Le Tour with a $900 Bianchi Brava. I've put 16,000 miles on the Bianchi. Great bike for the money. Keep in mind it's not the bike, it's the engine.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Dim a couple of things to think about.

1 the carbon fork is worth a lot and adds a level of comfort and performance.
2. hydraulic brakes are a very nice up grade as well, I have a set of mech disks and really they are not that great (good thing they are on the wifes bike:)

I also have a garmin 705 and I think it is worth every penny!!

I understand the money thing but will you miss that 150 in three months?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Are you absolutely sure you'll never want to run a drop bar again Dim?

The reason I ask is there's quite a bit of coin tied up in converting a flat-bar hybrid to a drop-bar...just in the shifters and brakes alone (especially if you run hyd disks). FWIW I don't think mech disk brakes are all that bad if properly tuned and would save you some money if you convert to a drop bar...

I think for what you describe a solid CX bike would work well. Like thisperhaps?

Wholeheartedly agree with everyone's recommendation to test ride first...

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

flyor64 said:
Are you absolutely sure you'll never want to run a drop bar again Dim?

!

im trying to avoid it..

at the moment cycling has one purpose, recreational riding with the wife, in which case i feel happier with flat bars, she doesnt feel like shes out of place, or riding with someone good or something, i want her to feel comfortable..

im off work sick still, and redundancy will happen in the next two weeks so theres going to be certainly a few months resting up, and getting ready for the next phase in life, so when that money comes i want riding to be a bigger active part.. now i do ride on my own in the day, but the heap of junk im on, doesnt really cope too well with me going out doing 30-50k+ (and the gearing is awful, i live in one gear 90% of the time), so its finding something that is suitable for me to do some semi-serious riding on, but also double as a nice recreational bike, that doesnt make her feel out of place...

drops.. i just dont trust myself.. i dont want to be back living on the bike, riding 50k every day, i want cycling to be a bigger part of my life, but i dont want it to dominate like it used to..

my gut is also towards disc brakes.. we did a bit of touring this year for a couple of days, and we want to more next year, so they may be a bit more suitable for bad weather, and pannier mounts..

the money is going to be fairly tight.. we are getting about 3k, there is 800 going aside for her last few driving lessons, about 800 total budget for me, and the rest to our summer holiday so that if for some reason im not working in the new year, then at least we still have our summer holiday (trust me after teaching all year she really needs it)..

the only thing i really need to cover from the budget outside of the bike, is a new lock.. my current lock is the recommend 10% of the value of my bike.. ;)
The garmin 705 ive decided is an unneeded luxury that can be bought when im back working again..

that specialized has just given me bicycle horn though :D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dim,

At least from a frame perspective, what about a 'cross bike? It would give you the road geometry but the ability to ride off-road. Some 'cross bikes come with disc brakes, but do you really need them? Stopping power is very good, but I haven't been in too many situations, particularly on the road, that I've thought I needed disc brakes. There is the additional weight of disc brakes to consider as well.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
my gut is with the cheaper option, but, this is the first big money purchase for 20 years, so its going to be a long think over the winter.. the advatanges of the cheaper option gives me room to invest in slightly more robust tyres something like the Specialized Armadillo which should fit ok on those wheels, and a few other bits and bobs...

Going to have a look at what specialized bikes are available that are similar...

Our local bike shop in the city is almost 100% trek...

the comparable lower end trek seems to be the valencia which spec wise doesnt seem close to the lower level boardman
http://www.1stgearcycles.com/store/...fjH5fCvEWBkHYarDO2atO16khJVhOuDSTXHDHJzyAErTv

for the love of god, dim, please don't swap to the armadillos. i thought that they were a good choice a few years back but they are a POS. buy conti 4 seasons gatorskins which come in 23/25 or 28's i think. they're not "cheap" but they're not so expensive that you break out in a sweat when you produce your bank card. the ride difference is lightyears apart.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Hey Dim,

For me, that SS Felt is a great looking bike for the money and it is well suited to any road/weather conditions. A simple (and cheap) change of gearing and you could spin along at a pace suited to your wife's comfort. I agree with Elapid, disc brakes have their advantages but I have never considered them advantageous on the road. If you do get a bike with discs, I have found the Avid BB5 mechs to be powerful enough, light, reliable, and very easy to maintain.

Good luck and I hope whatever you choose suits your needs.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
mkkrvq.jpg

What about this for half the price? Plenty of scratch left for a Garmin and no drop bar. And with a steel frame/fork you will probably be more comfortable than an aluminium frame and carbon fork.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
mkkrvq.jpg

What about this for half the price? Plenty of scratch left for a Garmin and no drop bar. And with a steel frame/fork you will probably be more comfortable than an aluminium frame and carbon fork.

ah hell...I want that...:D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Hi Dim,

At least from a frame perspective, what about a 'cross bike? It would give you the road geometry but the ability to ride off-road. Some 'cross bikes come with disc brakes, but do you really need them? Stopping power is very good, but I haven't been in too many situations, particularly on the road, that I've thought I needed disc brakes. There is the additional weight of disc brakes to consider as well.

I'm with Elapid on the idea of a cross bike - in part for the reasons he says there. Another major reason why I'd push for a cross bike is that I've found that dollar for dollar (or pound for pound in your case) they are generally a better deal than a higher end hybrid. The main areas of difference/added value seem to be around having carbon forks (definitely worth the money -an alloy fork will shake your fillings out!!) and generally better group sets and wheels. You'll also get a bit lighter bike for the same money - not into "weight weenie" territory, but enough that you'll notice it over the hills.

A lot of alloy framed cross bikes also come with lugs that will take racks and so forth (although obviously not on a carbon fork), so you could do some touring with it too.

As for your comment about not trusting the drops - again, a number of cross bikes come with the bar top levers. That'd give you the best of both until you get comfortable with drops again.

I'm a big advocate of a cross bike as a good "one bike solution". I used mine (a Cannondale X6 - which is the equivalent of the CX9 Tiagra in the UK) over the last year for racing (cross and a little bit of road racing), training on road and dirt, commuting (including as a "snow bike") and as a trail bike on the sort of trails that you mentioned and some dedicated MTB trails. It took all of the punishment and more besides - the only problem was the seat rails bent, although I think that was as much about dodgy 'cross remount skills as anything!! It also provides a good platform for upgrading as time goes on - mine is now fully Campag geared with Ritchey fork and finishing kit and lovely hand built wheels ... it has given me a bike better than the top model (costs about C$3k) for a total outlay - including my original off the shelf bike - of about C$1800 ...

Oh, only thing though - if you do go for a cross bike, pick this brand, not the Specialized ... http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/10/CE/model-0XR3.html ;)

As for the disc brake question - yeah, they'll stop a bit better and for what you're after the BB5's will be fine (I've ridden my friend's Chilli Con Crosso with discs on it and they've got enough grunt for our "training race" cross circuit), but again as another poster has said, they may actually be more than you need for what you're after in a bike ...

Ahh, the joys of bike buying, ay?? So many decisions ... so much conflicting advice ... But, hey, at least it's a chance to go and try out heaps of bikes! :)

A

Anonymous

elapid said:
Hi Dim,

At least from a frame perspective, what about a 'cross bike? It would give you the road geometry but the ability to ride off-road. Some 'cross bikes come with disc brakes, but do you really need them? Stopping power is very good, but I haven't been in too many situations, particularly on the road, that I've thought I needed disc brakes. There is the additional weight of disc
brakes to consider as well.

going to have a look at some cross bikes.. damn things have changed.. the road bike i bought in 1988, the choices then where road, road, or road, pretty much..

weight.. hmmmm.. ok ive just weighed the existing bike.. 21kg :D, weighed the old peugot frame and thats just over around 10kg without wheels.. so, anything around the 10-12kg mark is going to feel like a feather.. im frankly amazed at the mileage ive done on it without killing myself (and bear in mind i might have buckled the front wheel ever so slightly so i did about 300k with a rubbing brake until i straightened it out.. ;))

discs.. well.. ive never had them before.. i thought you only got them on motorbikes till a couple of years ago..

im gonna take a look in our local shop over the next few days just to get some ideas, they are 99% trek, which i dont know how i feel about it, but if anyone knows of some good treks, or even some BAD treks, would be interesting to know.. something about a trek just doesnt appeal to me.. i dont know why.. over here they seem to be a bit of a rich lawyer or banker bike for showing off, and not much else..

kiwirider said:
As for your comment about not trusting the drops - again, a number of cross bikes come with the bar top levers. That'd give you the best of both until you get comfortable with drops again.

its not so much trusting drops, as not trusting myself...
im perfectly at home on drops, i feel like my body was made to be at that angle and i should have come out of my mother holding handlebars.. but i dont trust myself not to suddenly vanish for 100k a day and have a wife wondering where i am.. ive tamed a lot of things but not my addictive personality..

theres probably a saying that you cannot be out on a bike too much.. my wife didnt invent that saying.. she loves riding and cycling, but she also apparently likes seeing me sometimes..

edit: looked at some treks.. they dont grab me.. i think i do want drops.. grrr...

A

Anonymous

flyor64 said:
I think for what you describe a solid CX bike would work well. Like thisperhaps?

Wholeheartedly agree with everyone's recommendation to test ride first...

Good luck!

i actually really like it, but its running at 849 over here.. hopefully in january it will have come down. .its look like im reduntant from 2nd december so it may be as soon as jan :D

A

Anonymous

badboyberty said:
Have you looked at the Kona Dew Drop? It's a hybrid with drop bars. We sell a few of them, cheaper than a cross bike or a classic tourer but still rideable in a headwind.

http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=dewdrop

Don't know what they cost in England but should be near your budget.

had a look.. £550 on evans, but they are avialable in a few places in the uk for about £400..

its a got a few good reviews, including somebody from devon who has found it fine for the devon countryside..

the only thing i cant find out is the weight, a couple of reviewers have said its a bit heavy (but then again, when youve been riding a 20kg plus bike, 12kg will feel light as anything..) any idea on the weight?

a few people have critisism on the back cassette and the gearing.. i do want to head back towards a road gear, the current bike is driving me nuts, i just cant get any speed, but at that price its something easily replacable i guess.. 48/38/28 11-34 sounds fine just perhaps could be a bit tighter.. i cant see the 28 front ring being used much.. and much beyond 28 on the back.. will hit the three bike shops we have, have a look and see about getting certainly the rear changed over

only worry really is perhaps its too cheap.. after budgting 600-800 total that leaves me with loads to spare... the garmin comes back into the equation.. :D if you recommend it i will see if i can have a look at one locally and give it a go.. i dont mind saving money..

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Do take a look at the Cannondale Cyclocross. My commute bike (with a chile seat on the back) is a Cannondale Cross frame that I had built up with Campagnolo. Their low-end component mix isn't awful and is a good price. Bianchi still makes a steel one that is even cheaper (my wife rides one as a daily commute bike). I see us each having good bikes as avoiding the cost of a second car.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Only speaking for myself; I had no idea how nice hydraulic brakes were until my last mountain bike (no worries about stopping - great on long downhills); and if I was planning on road riding on less than smooth roads over distance I think I would like the carbon forks. This is going to be a pleasure/health item that will last a decade or more. I think spending the money up front (especially when it is not in your personality) hurts for a little while - settling for something less that might be £15 per year for the decade you will be riding this bike is something you might regret with every ride. Of course budgeting may rule otherwise. Good luck with your decision.

TRENDING THREADS