• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Alto de L'Angliru V Monte Zoncolan. Which climb is harder?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which climb is harder?

• Can't compare

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
Libertine Seguros said:
I would love that. Especially if there was no actual mountain, just an engineering marvel of a road that climbs to over 1000m altitude from sea level, on struts.

You could even have a roof on it, and make it into a mountain velodrome! It'd make me care a lot more about Six Days, I can tell you that!

The idea is to build an actual mountain http://www.diebergkomter.nl/ and should be at least 2000 m high.

Libertine Seguros said:
They're building it in Flevoland? That's just too funny. Please tell me there'll be a road there to teach the new Dutch youngsters how to climb :D

The location (like all other plans) isn't set this seems to suggest building it of the coast. With a connection to the mainland. Kan jou imagine that stage combining a long straight road in the wind with a mountaintop finish?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
no crostis said:
The day before the 2009 race, I went up Angrilu in a heavy rain. Started raining as I stepped out of my car in La Vega, rained harder all the way up. Used a 39-27 gear. No stops, except when my foot came off pedal on the hard part. I had to clip in one side, lean on the rock, clip in other foot to get started again! That section is called 23.5%. At the bottom back in La Vega, I ordered a glass of wine and a donut. A guy offered to pay for it, and we talked. He was/is Checu Rubiera's uncle. Obviously he's a local Asturian, and said that section is really 27% but they don't claim it to keep UCI from not allowing it.

2010 Giro, I did the Zoncolan, 34-27 gear. (my mechanic convinced me to drop to the compact). Again, no stops; but easier gear.

I voted them equally difficult.

This is insightful. It appears that both climbs are very close in difficulty. The difference, IMO, would likely lie in the type of weather on the day of the climb for the racers - wind, heat, rain.

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't need to be a hurricane. Few years back I was walking the streets of Dublin one april night, the headwind was so hard you really had to make an effort to walk into it. If you've never been to a place that's really exposed to wind, on a really windy day, it can be hard to imagine.

(As opposed to places that are sheltered from the worst winds because of topology, like mountain ranges or valley tops.)
I don't know if those two mountains really get the worst kinds of winds, though?

Eshnar said:
well, when you're going at 10 km/h or so the wind isn't a big deal. Unless it's a hurricane :D
Not true.

Just outside the city here there is a molehill, I would say not more than 3/4%. Which normally slows you down, but since it's so short it is nothing. However, in february, i went up there and got flattened by headwind storm. I seriously couldn't go faster than 12/13km/h (on a racebike) :eek:

If that was a 20% slope I would go backwards

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Not true.

Just outside the city here there is a molehill, I would say not more than 3/4%. Which normally slows you down, but since it's so short it is nothing. However, in february, i went up there and got flattened by headwind storm. I seriously couldn't go faster than 12/13km/h (on a racebike) :eek:

If that was a 20% slope I would go backwards
in a 20% slope I always go backwards anyway :D

but I understand your point

Come May 26 2012, we will have a new climb to compare with these two monsters.

It cannot match Zoncolan's epic 6km @ 14.9%, but its first 6km are @ 12.5%.

Its hardest section, right at the top, is 800m @ 16.75%, this is again beaten by Angliru's 17.3% kilo, or Zoncolan's 1.5km @ 18%.

On a whole, the official stats register it at 11.4km @ 10.5%. But this one features a brief descent, so we must go deeper.

The first 8km see a gain of 920m.

After an 800m descent, there are two final kilometres before the pass, with a gain of 263m.

Adding the two sections together, we have 10km @ 11.8%*

*using data from Salite, RCS have calculated the start of the official climb 600m earlier, if we were to include that section, we would get a number almost identical to Ovaro, 10.6km @ ~11.5%

This is very competitive with Ovaro's 10.5km @ 11.5%. Of course, the descent is still there, so that brief respite must be taken into account. Plus, the extreme gradients of Zoncolan and Angliru have to be recognised as providing an additional challenge.

I think we can consider this a more consistent cousin of Zoncolan, and if not on par in terms of difficulty, very close to the mark.

There will be no waiting for Stelvio.

Mortirolo is still I think the most famous Giro climb. Id say the Zoncolan is harder, but Mortirolo gets usually put in the best place possible for a climb, 30k from the end. Maybe 1 day well see Zoncolan- Crostis:D

I agree, Giro 20 will be something else. Fingers cross the GC is still close them though Im afraid Liquigas might ruin it with their team tt up the mountain. Would be better if Basso was chasing pink, like last time we had the Mortirolo, and them whittling the group down to about 6 for the Stelvio, where Basso will drill it.

The Hitch said:
Mortirolo is still I think the most famous Giro climb. Id say the Zoncolan is harder, but Mortirolo gets usually put in the best place possible for a climb, 30k from the end.
I'd say the best thing Mortirolo has to offer is... Aprica.
A MTF to the top of Mortirolo would be pointless. I still dream to see Zoncolan used as a pass someday.