• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

André Greipel Discussion Thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Lexman said:
so will he stay at Lotto-Soudal, Lotto doesn't have a replacement worthy of him, no one (Debuscchere, Debuyst, Hofland,...) is a certainty for some sprint victories...

They will go for Ewan if they don't find an agreement with Greipel.
If they find some extra money and they get Greipel to earn less, they might even go for Ewan next to Greipel.

Re: Re:

Samamba said:
Lexman said:
so will he stay at Lotto-Soudal, Lotto doesn't have a replacement worthy of him, no one (Debuscchere, Debuyst, Hofland,...) is a certainty for some sprint victories...

They will go for Ewan if they don't find an agreement with Greipel.
If they find some extra money and they get Greipel to earn less, they might even go for Ewan next to Greipel.

My understanding is Ewan is more likely to stay at Mitchelton Scott - It's also a case of many teams having a leading sprinter, so there aren't that many opportunities for Ewan to move - Will say that Greipel has chosen an interesting program pre TDF in which he's avoided the leading sprinters - Greipel will need luck to win a stage at the TDF.

movingtarget said:
yaco said:
EF would be a good team for Greipel - They already have a decent sprint squad - Mitchelton Scott lose Ewan and they could be interested.

A 36 year old sprinter probably doesn't fit in with Michelton's plans. A 25 year old one didn't...........

You are missing the point. Ewan was a priority resigning for MS but he chose to leave. They need a sprinter and Ackermann would be a perfect fit.

yaco said:
search said:
according to today's Het Nieuwsblad, Ackermann will stay with Bora, and Greipel may sign for Cycling Academy

I am surprised that Ackermann would stay at Bora - How does he test himself at a GT when he's behind Sagan and Bennett.

Don't underestimate his integration within the team. He's close to Schwarzmann for example and seems to fit perfectly personality wise. He was slowly build by Bora and if they continue that I think he will end up a better Sprinter than Bennett in 2-3 years. Good decision from him, he is doing well and fitting perfectly.
Also he isn't doing a GT this year if i remember an interview with him correctly. So next year it'll probably be 3 Gt's with 3 different Sprinters.

WKA311 said:
yaco said:
search said:
according to today's Het Nieuwsblad, Ackermann will stay with Bora, and Greipel may sign for Cycling Academy

I am surprised that Ackermann would stay at Bora - How does he test himself at a GT when he's behind Sagan and Bennett.

Don't underestimate his integration within the team. He's close to Schwarzmann for example and seems to fit perfectly personality wise. He was slowly build by Bora and if they continue that I think he will end up a better Sprinter than Bennett in 2-3 years. Good decision from him, he is doing well and fitting perfectly.
Also he isn't doing a GT this year if i remember an interview with him correctly. So next year it'll probably be 3 Gt's with 3 different Sprinters.

Well then I can see Bennett changing teams after his contract expires in 2019 - I rate Ackermann highly but it's unfeasible to have three quality sprinters in a team, especially with Sagan a lock each year for the TDF.

TRENDING THREADS