• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

André Greipel Discussion Thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He was solid earlier in the year. 3x top 6 in Australia. He crashed in february and dislocated his shoulder. Crashed again on stage one.
Not really sure if he will make it through the 3rd week but if he recovers he might be able to get a result on the last day. I think he has shown that he still has the speed to get some results when he is healthy but he isn´t willing to take any risks.

He crashed hard at 60km/h at 3km on stage 1 and hurt his knee. He couldn't really sprint after that, but he said that it gets better. On Stage 5 he worked for Hofstetter, because the finish was good for Hofstetter. So just bad luck at the moment. I don't know if he has the speed for a top5.

Greipel to retire at the end of the year, still had a contract with ISN for next year so surprising in some ways.

Congrats on a great career and perhaps we'll still see him involved in pro cycling: "I hope to somehow stay in cycling."

It's only three months ago he declared that he would retire after the 2022 season, so perhaps the Tour has been harder for him than he thought it would be. But yeah he has had a great career, and the two victories this season have at least secured that he's not retiring as a mere laughing stock.

It's only three months ago he declared that he would retire after the 2022 season, so perhaps the Tour has been harder for him than he thought it would be. But yeah he has had a great career, and the two victories this season have at least secured that he's not retiring as a mere laughing stock.

Perhaps the obvious lack of a proper lead-out train is one of the reasons? His sprinting isn't a high priority on the team. I love him and hate that he's retiring, but he depended on a train as much or more than any of the elite sprinters.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS