• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andre Cardoso positive for EPO

He wasn't riding any worse when he was on JV's all singing all dancing clean team

I'm being unfair, JV's team doesn't persistently shout in everyone's eyes HAVE WE MENTIONED WE'RE CLEAN TODAY BECAUSE WE TOTALLY ARE. Only Sky do that. Oh and Marc Madiot.

My initial reaction is, how can a rider be so stupid to get busted for EPO in the modern era of cycling. Will likely be ostracised now, just another lamb to the slaughter in the ongoing pantomime. Meanwhile the UCI are showing that they have doping under control ahead of the tour!

NGLb3.gif

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Zubeldia will probably have no problem with this. Cardoso would be a pretty meaningless mountain domestique anyways in this race, so no harm.
He would likely have been Contador's 2nd best domestique in the mountains behind Pantano, so not meaningless at all.
I'm happy for Zubeldia, but he's not going to be as valuable as Cardoso, not even close.

2nd time one of Contador's most important domestiques gets popped just before the Tour. Coincidence?

From his facebook page:

Today, I received notification from the UCI that my A Sample, from a urine test done at my home on June 18th, tested positive for Erythropoietin. I have requested to the UCI that my B sample be tested as soon as possible.
Getting the chance to ride at the pinnacle of professional cycling is the greatest honor I could ever hope for, and I was looking forward to doing my best for my team and myself at the Tour. I believe in clean sport and have always conducted myself as a clean athlete, but I realize that this news puts a dark cloud on not just myself but also on our sport and my team, teammates and staff. Before anything else, those people are my friends and colleagues for whom I have unlimited respect, and under no circumstances would I ever do something that could put them, their families or their reputations in jeopardy.
I am fully aware that I will be presumed to be guilty, but it's important to me to say that I am devastated by this news and I wanted to state that I have never taken any illegal substances. I've seen firsthand through my career the awful effects that performance enhancing drugs have had on our sport, and I would never want to be a part of that. I've always tried to be a constructive influence in the peloton and on young, aspiring cyclists. It is my great hope that the B sample will come back as negative and clear me of any wrongdoing.
Until then, I hope that those who know me, trust me when I say that I'm innocent, and that my colleagues and cycling fans everywhere don't judge me too quickly during this difficult time.

TL;DR: I'm clean bla bla bla I'm clean

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:
Zubeldia will probably have no problem with this. Cardoso would be a pretty meaningless mountain domestique anyways in this race, so no harm.
He would likely have been Contador's 2nd best domestique in the mountains behind Pantano, so not meaningless at all.
I'm happy for Zubeldia, but he's not going to be as valuable as Cardoso, not even close.

2nd time one of Contador's most important domestiques gets popped just before the Tour. Coincidence?
Im pretty sure both Felline and Mollema will be of more use, Cardoso is basically just a follower in case of a mechanical, very equal to Jesus Hernandez.

So he's gone through the customary first phase. Deny, deny, deny. Gives him time to prepare the next phase, the excuse phase. All so predictable. Meanwhile it helps avoid any riders being questioned on it as they have to let the process take its course etc etc etc

Re:

DFA123 said:
Wow, what kind of WT rider gets busted for EPO these days?

Perhaps thought he would be OK pushing the boundaries a bit on the back of an altitude camp in Tenerife.

pushing the boundaries is the case. Maybe he and his doctor got crossed lines in what dosage he should be taking? and it happened at an unfortunate time of a test. His timing couldn't have been worse.

TRENDING THREADS