• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andreas Kloden's Final Bid For Another Coveted Top 10 Tour Finish, 'Official' Thread

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Yep. Vino and Menchov did the right thing, Basso, Kloeden, Horner and Evans can't be far away. Maybe one more season for Cadel.

Bit harsh on Cadel putting him in that group, I also don't want to see Basso listed there either but sadly his time is running out, perhaps one showing in a gt later this year will show us if he should go on to 2014.

The Principal Sheep said:
Bit harsh on Cadel putting him in that group, I also don't want to see Basso listed there either but sadly his time is running out, perhaps one showing in a gt later this year will show us if he should go on to 2014.

Maybe but I can't see Evans racing in 2015 and he will probably have lost a few more percentage points by then. Still a great competitor.

gregrowlerson said:
Good result for Klodi last night in Belgium; 4th on the stage and 4th overall. Life in those old legs yet!

Cadel Evans claims that the worst position a cyclist can finish is fourth; but all Klodists know that the worst position is really eleventh ;)

Nice job indeed ! Klodi might get some new ambitions with that? What's next for him, TDS ?

Ah, I was just being silly, thinking that manafana is basing Klöden's TT maximum on his Belgique 20th. Contador has also been very ordinary in TTs this season but will be up with the best in July no doubt... For some GC riders TTs are a good indication of true form, I'd put Contador, Evans, Hesjedal and Sanchez in that category.

Of course Klöden has been very average in TTs, relatively speaking, since the 2011 Spring. Perhaps the sensible view is that his TT is average because he's just not good anymore, and being top5 on a hardish road stage says he's in reasonable shape. But in the case of Andreas I will always be the optimist and reason that he did very well to get a good result on the Ardennes stage when his true form (as indicated by the TT) is poor.

Bavarianrider said:
:rolleyes:

2004: 3rd in both TTes

Klöden's been time trialing well for years, apart from the last couple of ones. He meant Contador.

I really want to see a worthy GT farewell from Andreas Klöden. It's all been pretty anonymous since 2009, even though he's been doing well in several week-long races. The most stylish rider in the world ™ deserves one last great performance. Let's hope his contract runs out this year (anyone?) and that we will get the semi-annual Klöden-can-actually-be-bothered-in-order-to-renew-his-contract boost.

TDS must be next for Klodi with him not being named for Dauphne. Can always hope for a podium in this race, especially with Froome, Porte, Contador and Rodriguez racing in France.

I don't believe that Klodi can return to his ITT form of 2011 and earlier ever again. But consistent performances could still reward him with a top ten result in the TDF. His seasons form is better this year than last, when he came eleventh...

I think that Radioshack will enter the race with Schleck as leader, then Zubeldia, then Kloden, but there may not be much between them all. It's possible that Andreas could become their highest placed rider on GC; Fingers crossed ;)

I think he's half a shot of a top3 in Switzerland. Never know who is going to show up in prep mode only. The MTT actually helps him imo, against Van Garderen/Costa anyway. Brings Dan Martin into it but if it was an MTF instead he would dominate that (and his ITT is improving). Stage 3 is probably the most dangerous.

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Correct me, if I am wrong, but I belive that Klöden in the last seasons has used the preparation-race to train instead of going for a good result. It might be the case in Switzerland this year too.

HCl+HN03 said:
Correct me, if I am wrong, but I belive that Klöden in the last seasons has used the preparation-race to train instead of going for a good result. It might be the case in Switzerland this year too.

and he used last year's TdF to prepare for?

GBR 1 WIGGINS, Bradley (SKY PROCYCLING) 87:34:42
GBR 2 FROOME, Christopher (SKY PROCYCLING) + 3:21
ITA 3 NIBALI, Vincenzo (LIQUIGAS-CANNONDALE) + 6:19
BEL 4 VAN DEN BROECK, Jurgen (LOTTO BELISOL) + 10:15
USA 5 VAN GARDEREN, Tejay (BMC RACING) + 11:04
ESP 6 ZUBELDIA AGIRRE, Haimar (RADIOSHACK-NISSAN) + 15:43
AUS 7 EVANS, Cadel (BMC RACING) + 15:51
FRA 8 ROLLAND, Pierre (EUROPCAR) + 16:31
SLO 9 BRAJKOVIC, Janez (ASTANA) + 16:38
FRA 10 PINOT, Thibaut (FDJ-BIG MAT) + 17:17
GER 11 KLÖDEN, Andreas (RADIOSHACK-NISSAN) + 17:54

Dazed and Confused said:
and he used last year's TdF to prepare for?

GBR 1 WIGGINS, Bradley (SKY PROCYCLING) 87:34:42
GBR 2 FROOME, Christopher (SKY PROCYCLING) + 3:21
ITA 3 NIBALI, Vincenzo (LIQUIGAS-CANNONDALE) + 6:19
BEL 4 VAN DEN BROECK, Jurgen (LOTTO BELISOL) + 10:15
USA 5 VAN GARDEREN, Tejay (BMC RACING) + 11:04
ESP 6 ZUBELDIA AGIRRE, Haimar (RADIOSHACK-NISSAN) + 15:43
AUS 7 EVANS, Cadel (BMC RACING) + 15:51
FRA 8 ROLLAND, Pierre (EUROPCAR) + 16:31
SLO 9 BRAJKOVIC, Janez (ASTANA) + 16:38
FRA 10 PINOT, Thibaut (FDJ-BIG MAT) + 17:17
GER 11 KLÖDEN, Andreas (RADIOSHACK-NISSAN) + 17:54

I think the answer to that is obvious: