• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andy Schleck and dope

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not Andy, but this reminds me of another picture I've always been curious about.

rlckl1.jpg

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
All I've got to say about that little mark, It better damn well be from doping! I want to see Andy win the Tour and do whatever needs to be done to do that! ;) :D

D-Queued said:
Not normal.

Not for a trained phlebotomist. So rule out ABP.

The other notable detail is his race number. That is a lot of drag from poor placement. Simple to fix.

Two ways to compensate for that in the peloton.

1. Natural gifts
2. Other

I'll go with Other.

Dave.

You do realize that most trained phlebotomist, at least in the US, are barely high school educated, near dropouts that work for some huge testing lab, LabCorp/Quest, and pay next to nothing right?

Believe me, most are no better than an amateur at drawing blood and bruising.

You give too much credit to some people and their expertise...anybody can bruise up from a needle jab.

Salaries for phlebotomists in our area start at $12 per hour. Experienced phlebotomists make $19 per hour. Wow, impressive, just above McDonald's wages.

zigmeister said:
You do realize that most trained phlebotomist, at least in the US, are barely high school educated, near dropouts that work for some huge testing lab, LabCorp/Quest, and pay next to nothing right?

Believe me, most are no better than an amateur at drawing blood and bruising.

You give too much credit to some people and their expertise...anybody can bruise up from a needle jab.

Salaries for phlebotomists in our area start at $12 per hour. Experienced phlebotomists make $19 per hour. Wow, impressive, just above McDonald's wages.

Wow, you just slagged an entire profession.

Nice.

Dave.

A lot of truth might be said in jest, but so is a lot of garbage.

While the statistics provided may be true, it doesn't really matter as being a good phlebotomist has less to do with education and salary and more to do experience gained drawing blood from thousands of different patients with thousands of different venous network shapes/sizes and morphologies.

Back on topic, I guess we'll have to see how Andy does in July and then come revisit this.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/andy-schleck-not-ready-to-give-up-on-cycling

Did he really need to mention Ricco and Di Luca in his denials?

It seems like the Schleck of 2009-2011 is long gone, but the 28-year-old still believes that he is in there somewhere. “I want to succeed again. I won a Tour de France on paper and I have won stages. I was Andy Schleck, I was someone, I want to become that again,” he explains.

“I do everything to succeed, I train a lot and I’m leaner. I cannot do more than my best. I don’t know if I will get back on the podium at the Tour. If I fail, I won’t become depressed. I am happy that I have done everything to get there.”

Schleck’s brother Fränk returned to racing this season after a yearlong ban for the diuretic Xipamide, but Andy denied that he had ever been involved in doping, adding that he believed that anti-doping measures are "more effective" now. “I gave a lot to the Tour and I have never hurt the bike. I’ve never done crap, unlike others,” Schleck said. “Guys like (Riccardo) Riccò and (Danilo) Di Luca did stupid things and they may encounter problems later, because they only have the bike in their lives.”

Does he mean Frank had never been involved in doping, or himself?

del1962 said:

You'd think he'd be more angry at the doper who stole his moment in the sun on the top step TdF podium. "On paper" indeed.

For whatever reason Di Luca and Ricco are the punching bags for the other riders. Not sure I totally understand it but it matters little.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
del1962 said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/andy-schleck-not-ready-to-give-up-on-cycling

Does he mean Frank had ever been involved in doping, or himself?

I think he maybe meant this mentality to do anything and everything to succeed, even dope and then dope even harder like Riccó and Di Luca are extreme examples. Maybe that's what he meant by "they only have the bike in their lives"... who knows

red_flanders said:
You'd think he'd be more angry at the doper who stole his moment in the sun on the top step TdF podium. "On paper" indeed.

For whatever reason Di Luca and Ricco are the punching bags for the other riders. Not sure I totally understand it but it matters little.

He could have mentioned Armstrong, Bruyneel or Riis rather than Ricco or Di Luca

May 26, 2010
Visit site
del1962 said:
I mentioned Bruyneel and Riis because they are two managers Andy worked under at least during his succesful years and are well known dopers, and Armstrong because he is more famous than Ricco/Di Luca (even in Luxembourg)

Expecting Schleck to dump on former team mates or DS is not going to happen.

I guess Schleck is still hoping for some miracle for 2014, but i would be surprised if he finishes the season and gets a team for next year.

del1962 said:
He could have mentioned Armstrong, Bruyneel or Riis rather than Ricco or Di Luca

If there is anyone on this forum who really should not be making a "Rider x is suspicious because he didn't criticize Lance and Brunyeel" argument, it is you :rolleyes:

You can't spend 3 years throwing insult upon insult at anyone who suggests that your favourite rider defending Lance was suspicious, then turn around and start arguing that a mere refusal to call Armstrong a doper, casts doubt on Schleck.

In fact if I remember correctly, Schleck isn't the first recent TDF winner to attack Di Luca but not Armstrong.

But I'm sure you'll find a reason to believe that these standards do not apply for the other one:rolleyes:

i think he was more using them as examples of guys who "have nothing except the bike" and that mentality caused them to dope, which is probably partly true. i dont really see how he's throwing them under the bus. most omerta keepers have said much worse about them.

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
zlev11 said:
i think he was more using them as examples of guys who "have nothing except the bike" and that mentality caused them to dope, which is probably partly true. i dont really see how he's throwing them under the bus. most omerta keepers have said much worse about them.

I read it as, "I've had success in the past, but I'm not as desperate to have success in the future as those two riders were'.

GuyIncognito said:
Every year this guy 'magically' finds form around this time.

I seriously entertain the possibility that his all-round level is his normal one and he's a super responder

Let me catch you up here.

We don't discuss super responders anymore.

In this new era of clean cycling, we have crazy adaptive physiology.

JV1973 said:

But my opinion? My opinion is he's clean. I think he's got some crazy adaptive physiology. ...

Scheckette's brother Frank didn't have this, unfortunately, and had to resort to artificial enhancement. Frank is old school.

Andy got the good genes, though.

Dave.

TRENDING THREADS