• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andy Schleck?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Schleck has looked worse than usual this year but if that means he won't perform in the TDF, how will Basso and Sanchez go ? I think Wiggans will do okay even if he does not hold his current form. Though according to him, he still has improvement in him. I think Wiggans should do a top 10 or better. Top five might be a stretch.

This is why i brought this up.
How can expect to do well when he really hasn't seen how he is going in race situations.
This is just an educated fan's observation, Andy is doing some unusual prep even for this day and age where cherry picking reigns supreme.
Not a Contador fanboy, nor Evans, but their prep seems a bit more logical.
I seriously think the lack of results has something to do with charging.

The difference between you and I is that I don't give a damn about this Tour de France sh*t.

You sound like Frenchmen. All about Tour de France and stage races.

I'm only concerned with the classics. What has Ullrich ever done on the classics? Nada. What has Contador done so far on the classics? 9th in Liège. Tremendous !

Even on the Eroica, in early March - a very special race not really suited to his characteristics -, he can perform !!!!!

Discipline of training? But everybody knows that no training session can emulate the rhythm of a race. This is why Ullrich and Armstrong were such big jokes.

Drinking? He's right to do it. I won't blame him. :D:D Merckx whiskied his way across the Atlantic to Mexico before breaking the Hour record, anyway.

There are a lot of consistent riders these days? Yeah and I like that. The mug era of cycling (1996/2005) seems over !

first. there is no way schlecklet is clean.

if there was no blood doping contadope would wallop schlecklet. contadope -- at least -- wins throughout the year. schlecklet's performance at the vuelta last year where he was nowhere -- despite stated intentions to help his brother -- was stunningly awful. no one dips in form that much without help. he was not soft-pedalling this year in california. however, i fully expect him to be absolutely flying up bigger mountains come the tour.

schlecklet's astounding jumps in form are completely ridiculous and are endemic of the farce that pro cycling has become.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Big Doopie said:
first. there is no way schlecklet is clean.

if there was no blood doping contadope would wallop schlecklet. contadope -- at least -- wins throughout the year. schlecklet's performance at the vuelta last year where he was nowhere -- despite stated intentions to help his brother -- was stunningly awful. no one dips in form that much without help. he was not soft-pedalling this year in california. however, i fully expect him to be absolutely flying up bigger mountains come the tour.

schlecklet's astounding jumps in form are completely ridiculous and are endemic of the farce that pro cycling has become.
With that you mean the last 20 years?

I really don't see what's so special about Andy. He finished 8th in Californa, without even really trying outside the first MTF. That's perfectly normal for a Tour-contender, most of them weren't even racing that early before the Tour. That after last year's Tour he decided he rather spends long hours in a pub instead of training is a shame, but hardly prove of being a big doper that would be beaten by Bertie in a clean race.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
papisimo98 said:
This is why i brought this up.
How can expect to do well when he really hasn't seen how he is going in race situations.
This is just an educated fan's observation, Andy is doing some unusual prep even for this day and age where cherry picking reigns supreme.
Not a Contador fanboy, nor Evans, but their prep seems a bit more logical.
I seriously think the lack of results has something to do with charging.

To the blue - you seem to think that preparation is a "one size fits all" - it isn't.

Contador is the exception - he is usually competitive in all races he rides. But last year he rode the first part of the season took a break and then ramped it up to peak at the Tour (even then he was not at 2009 level).
You say Evans prep is a bit more logical - yet his prep this year is totally different to last year - and this year is close to the way Schleck has prepared..

Schleck has been consistent with his prep as in other years. Build up to be competitive for the Ardennes Classics, take it easy for a few weeks then build up for the Tour. He is exactly where he was last year at the TdS - about 80-90%.

Publicus said:
In 2009 and 2010, he rode 3,000 and ~2400, respectively, more kilometers than Contador. Contador finished 1 and 2 in the UCI Pro Tour Rankings, compared to 4 and 13 for Andy. And so far this year, Andy's raced 36 days and covered 5,617.1 KM compared to 42 and 6,695 KM for AC. Andy currently sits 33rd and AC sits in 2nd in the UCI World Tour Rankings. So it's basically whatever already knows: Andy uses races for training and building toward his two goals. AC trains away from races and uses to race.

If your numbers & the source are correct-the evidence cannot be denied on why ASchleck will never beat AC- and what comes to light is the Quality of Training, discipline and Attitude one has over the other-regardless the amount of Km all year round. If we go back to what basic training calls for- I hardly comprehend how Andy pretends to "improve & surpass" Alberto, when he barely "tests himself" and "pushes his regimen" to a challenging level than the one he's currently using...

hfer07 said:
If your numbers & the source are correct-the evidence cannot be denied on why ASchleck will never beat AC- and what comes to light is the Quality of Training, discipline and Attitude one has over the other-regardless the amount of Km all year round. If we go back to what basic training calls for- I hardly comprehend how Andy pretends to "improve & surpass" Alberto, when he barely "tests himself" and "pushes his regimen" to a challenging level than the one he's currently using...

I grabbed the information from Cycling Quotient so I presume it is correct. And I agree.

movingtarget said:
Schleck has looked worse than usual this year but if that means he won't perform in the TDF, how will Basso and Sanchez go ? I think Wiggans will do okay even if he does not hold his current form. Though according to him, he still has improvement in him. I think Wiggans should do a top 10 or better. Top five might be a stretch.

I don't see how Basso will be a top contender at the TdF. He's been terrible in recent racing. At least Andy Shleck is much better off than Basso.

Dr. Maserati said:
I didn't catch todays stage - but it sounds like he had a good workout.
But I expect him to put in numerous attacks or accelerations to test his climbing legs before the week is out.

I would hardly call what he does for most of the season soft pedaling.

The Tour is rightly his (& his teams) priority.
But as you mentioned he is competitive in the Classics but also continues his season after the Tour (although how seriously is another question).
I like how Contador likes to be competitive in the races he enters but last year he ended his season once the Tour was over (even before he knew about his +ve)

Andy competes for less than 4 weeks out of the season. The rest he's tooling around mid pack. The Tour and the Ardennes, that is his competitive season. For someone with his level of talent you would think that he would have a Paris-Nice, Basque Country, Dauphine, Tour de Suisse or Catalonia under his belt but no.

TeamSkyFans said:
it worked for lance.

Even Lance was competitive in the Dauphine, Tour de Suisse, Tour de Georgia/Tour of California (not that they are on the same level as the first 2 so don't flame me! :) ) and occasionally in the Ardennes. Andy is virtually invisible for a rider of his caliber for huge stretches of the season.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Angliru said:
Andy competes for less than 4 weeks out of the season. The rest he's tooling around mid pack. The Tour and the Ardennes, that is his competitive season. For someone with his level of talent you would think that he would have a Paris-Nice, Basque Country, Dauphine, Tour de Suisse or Catalonia under his belt but no.

i wonder what a sponsor sees in such a rider? no wins means no big publicity? not going get much publicity from 3 weeks of the year considering Contador is going to be the man everyone is talking about.

are LeopardTwek still in the hunt for a major sponsor?

Echoes said:
The difference between you and I is that I don't give a damn about this Tour de France sh*t.

You sound like Frenchmen. All about Tour de France and stage races.

I'm only concerned with the classics. What has Ullrich ever done on the classics? Nada. What has Contador done so far on the classics? 9th in Liège. Tremendous !

Even on the Eroica, in early March - a very special race not really suited to his characteristics -, he can perform !!!!!

Discipline of training? But everybody knows that no training session can emulate the rhythm of a race. This is why Ullrich and Armstrong were such big jokes.

Drinking? He's right to do it. I won't blame him. :D:D Merckx whiskied his way across the Atlantic to Mexico before breaking the Hour record, anyway.

There are a lot of consistent riders these days? Yeah and I like that. The mug era of cycling (1996/2005) seems over !

3rd in Fleche Wallone.
You seem confused. Wins matter and comparing Contador's wins with Andy's makes Andy seem like the slacker that he is. Yes Andy has an LBL to his credit but what other major wins other than his 2 stage wins from last year's Tour one of which was obviously gifted? For me he is ultra-talented but his results don't reflect that. For the 2nd most talented stage racer in the world he sure doesn't have any significant overall victories under his belt unless you consider Tour of Luxemborg "significant".

Benotti69 said:
i wonder what a sponsor sees in such a rider? no wins means no big publicity? not going get much publicity from 3 weeks of the year considering Contador is going to be the man everyone is talking about.

are LeopardTwek still in the hunt for a major sponsor?

He is the golden boy of stage racing. He was anointed as the heir apparent and that was confirmed when Trek took on Leopard. With Cancellara and the Schleck Bros they have marketable commodities that are beloved by most of the LA fan base. Contador is the anti-Lance, due to his inability to kow-tow upon LA's return to the sport and will always be that to that contingent of fans. Andy represents the hope that Contador can be defeated in the Tour and thus face his deserved comeuppance.:D

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:

If you are going to make this about reults then you could most riders in that bracket;
Boonen competes for 4 weeks of the season.
Cancellara competes for 4 weeks of the season.
Even Gilbert competes for 4 weeks of the season.

Angliru said:
Even Lance was competitive in the Dauphine, Tour de Suisse, Tour de Georgia/Tour of California (not that they are on the same level as the first 2 so don't flame me! :) ) and occasionally in the Ardennes. Andy is virtually invisible for a rider of his caliber for huge stretches of the season.
You appear to have fallen for the "whats good for one rider must be good for all" - it is not.
Also - you are ignoring that the Dauphine/Swiss are right before the Tour - these were races Armstrong needed to be competitive in to be on target for the Tour.
In LA's early Tour wins he would look to test himself in AGR, taper back and build up for the Tour - which is pretty similar to what Schleck does.

Dr. Maserati said:
If you are going to make this about reults then you could most riders in that bracket;
Boonen competes for 4 weeks of the season.
Cancellara competes for 4 weeks of the season.
Even Gilbert competes for 4 weeks of the season.

You appear to have fallen for the "whats good for one rider must be good for all" - it is not.
Also - you are ignoring that the Dauphine/Swiss are right before the Tour - these were races Armstrong needed to be competitive in to be on target for the Tour.
In LA's early Tour wins he would look to test himself in AGR, taper back and build up for the Tour - which is pretty similar to what Schleck does.

Look at their results (wins) and look at Andy's. His aren't exactly impressive for such a talent, especially major stage races.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
Look at their results (wins) and look at Andy's. His aren't exactly impressive for such a talent, especially major stage races.
What major stage races does he go in - and why does he go in them?
Tirreno is to prepare for the Classics - which he does quite well at for a non classic type rider.
California is during his down time.
Suisse is just to hone his form for the Tour.

He is a genuine Tour contender - it would be foolish for him (and his sponsors) to concentrate on lesser events.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
3rd in Fleche Wallone.
You seem confused. Wins matter and comparing Contador's wins with Andy's makes Andy seem like the slacker that he is. Yes Andy has an LBL to his credit but what other major wins other than his 2 stage wins from last year's Tour one of which was obviously gifted? For me he is ultra-talented but his results don't reflect that. For the 2nd most talented stage racer in the world he sure doesn't have any significant overall victories under his belt unless you consider Tour of Luxemborg "significant".

When did Andy ever win the Tour of Luxembourg? I don't think he's ever won a stage race as a professional. Not even a lightly regarded one.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
movingtarget said:
He may be boring but it's all about the Tour isn't it ? He rode well in Liege but totally outclassed by the Gilbert as was everyone else. He worked hard yesterday but soon as Cunego caught him he lost interest. I still think it was a good workout for him. He is the opposite of Contador and Evans. He does not see every race as a possible win. Seems to work for him re TDF time as his form in July is usually good.

Basically, what's happened in tennis and golf has happened in cycling--the top contenders make so much money that they don't have to regularly produce results. As long as they do well in the TdF everything is fine.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
sometriguy said:
I know that training for a grand tour is complicated (to say the least), but I don't believe how you can race well in July if you never "race" the rest of the year. Racing can't be mimicked in training.

It seems that he should go for a W at some multi stage race during the year....

If he doesn't like "suffering on the bike", then he is probably in the wrong sport. AS needs to grow a pair, not to mention learn to shut his mouth!

Whenever I go to look at his palmares it seems pretty laughable compared to all of his main competitors
I get a laugh out of members of cycling forums critiquing how Andy Schleck prepares for the Tour de France. Team owners could mine this place for some undiscovered DS talent. Same thing here at this time last year. We may not like his comments and/or his apparent disdain for most races on the calendar, but the guy showed up fit and ready to challenge the champion last July, and he came pretty close to dethroning him. I'm also confused as to how a guy can pull off consecutive second places in the Tour de France if he doesn't know how to suffer on a bike. Either he's the greatest natural talent in the world, he has sole access to a wonder drug, or the guy actually puts in enough hard kms to get the job done. Which version makes the most sense?

personally, i am laughing at all the talk of schleck, contador and armstrong's tour prep as if it was about what type of intervals they were doing.

you do realize that with those three it has all to do with their doping cycles and flying under the radar of controls and passport. whether they perform(ed) at a given race depends simply on that.

of the three contadope appears to be perhaps the most naturally talented though even that is hard to tell.