• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Anna Kiesenhofer: Mathematician, amateur cyclist, Olympic champion thread

So she was offered a pro contract at Lotto a few years ago, but she declined, right?
She took it up but didn't enjoy racing in the péloton, didn't have the same freedom to split time with her studies as she had liked (the WWT commitments meant Lotto weren't able to do as they had done with, say, Pooley in 2014) and they parted ways mid-season, going back to racing Gran Fondos and occasional championships performances as she had been before. She was noticed largely because of that win on Mont Ventoux in l'Ardêche in 2016 on the national squad, and it's not like she's been away from pro races since as she did finish on the podium of l'Ardêche last year too. I suspect we may see her on a few Austrian national teams doing occasional races when she wants to, I think as the Olympic champion there might be more invites extended to them as a result but she'll pick and choose her calendar around what suits her.

I mean, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that somebody (probably a non-World Team) offers her a deal that works for her, but it would need to be something akin to what Kristin Armstrong had at Twenty16 / Twenty20 (where she was part of ownership and would come in to selected races just to do what she needed to get into the frame for Olympic selection, then letting nepotism get her the rest of the way) or what Mara Abbott had at Wiggle-Honda (where she was officially on the squad but was to all intents and purposes a mercenary for a couple of set races, and spent the rest of the time riding back at home in America where she was comfortable) for her to be interested.

A post doc at Lausanne University earns something like 80000 CHF per year (and as we can see, can train and ride bikes in a good level). Hard to see earning so good in the pro peloton before this race.
Almost anywhere you'd probably need to divide that number by at least 3 these days, although there may still mythical European countries where junior academics are rumoured to be able to earn a living wage or more.

Almost anywhere you'd probably need to divide that number by at least 3 these days, although there may still mythical European countries where junior academics are rumoured to be able to earn a living wage or more.
Errr... I think your information may be incorrect here.
Anywhere else in Europe I would agree that post-doc academic positions are badly paid but this is Switzerland we're talking about here, so I think that number could be correct.

She took it up but didn't enjoy racing in the péloton, didn't have the same freedom to split time with her studies as she had liked (the WWT commitments meant Lotto weren't able to do as they had done with, say, Pooley in 2014) and they parted ways mid-season, going back to racing Gran Fondos and occasional championships performances as she had been before. She was noticed largely because of that win on Mont Ventoux in l'Ardêche in 2016 on the national squad, and it's not like she's been away from pro races since as she did finish on the podium of l'Ardêche last year too. I suspect we may see her on a few Austrian national teams doing occasional races when she wants to, I think as the Olympic champion there might be more invites extended to them as a result but she'll pick and choose her calendar around what suits her.

I mean, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that somebody (probably a non-World Team) offers her a deal that works for her, but it would need to be something akin to what Kristin Armstrong had at Twenty16 / Twenty20 (where she was part of ownership and would come in to selected races just to do what she needed to get into the frame for Olympic selection, then letting nepotism get her the rest of the way) or what Mara Abbott had at Wiggle-Honda (where she was officially on the squad but was to all intents and purposes a mercenary for a couple of set races, and spent the rest of the time riding back at home in America where she was comfortable) for her to be interested.
She also won the Coppa d'España in 2016 while getting her PHD and living in Catalunya, so he was probably the best rider on the spanish domestic scene that year.
About the wages in Switzerland, yes they are high, but so are the costs of living. In the end you're making a bit more than you'd in an other country, but not that much.

While you won't get rich in academia it's also about following your passion and doing what you love (at least on paper), at least in my experience.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Anywhere else in Europe I would agree that post-doc academic positions are badly paid but this is Switzerland we're talking about here, so I think that number could be correct.

Probably my issue being in the UK, but whenever I see salaries I assume it's after tax. This is before tax, which makes more sense. I knew they were well paid but I didn't think they are that well paid!

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS