• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong apologizes for being disrespectful - "that was not correct"

A humbled Armstrong also took the opportunity to publicly apologize to riders he slighted in an interview published in John Wilcockson’s new Armstrong biography, calling last year’s Tour “a joke.”

“The Tour was a bit of a joke this year,” Armstrong told Wilcockson. “I’ve got nothing against Sastre or Christian Vande Velde. Christian’s a nice guy, but finishing fifth in the Tour de France? Come on.”

On Tuesday, Armstrong said he regretted those comments.

“As reported in the press, I was disrespectful, to Carlos Sastre, to Christian Vande Velde, to the guys who were a pressure in last year’s Tour,” he said. “And that was not correct.”

Armstrong was clear about something else, he’s riding to win this Tour, but said there’s room for both he and teammate Alberto Contador until things become sorted out in the mountains.

“There are two ways to define leader within this team – you can be strongest, or you can be leader because you have experience, age, the trust of the other riders. That might be my role,” he said. “I said to Alberto, let’s ride perfect and make this race almost impossible to win for others. I think we can say we accomplished that today.”

http://www.velonews.com/article/94681

Maybe he's reading this forum?

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Well, finally he did the right thing, which surprises me to no end.

If only he would appologise to Bassons and Simeoni and he would actually get a lot of love from quite a few "haters". Almost there Lance :p

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Good timing for that apology: just before the mountains. Makes sense :)

Maybe realizes despite the enormously strong team that it's better to be without a vindictive Sastre or Van Velde when it comes to crunch time.

*Sastre was prob. going to be riding esp. energetically (at all costs) against both Lance and Riis/Saxo. Now he just has one target to handle, LOL.

A

Anonymous

Franklin said:
Well, finally he did the right thing, which surprises me to no end.

If only he would appologise to Bassons and Simeoni and he would actually get a lot of love from quite a few "haters". Almost there Lance :p

...and Betsy Andreau

pmcg76 said:
Kudos to Lance for apologizing, I will give gredit when its due. Are we finally seeing the Lance we were promised when he announced his comeback last year. I agree if Lance was like this all the time, there would be a lot less dissenters.
Lance Armstrong is a human being, therefore he is complex.
You can't put him in either the "arrogant *******" or "decent guy" box, though both characteristics are facets of him. And you too, perhaps.

A

Anonymous

I wonder if maybe he felt something while Contador was pulling that gave him the idea that maybe his time is past?

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I wonder if maybe he felt something while Contador was pulling that gave him the idea that maybe his time is past?

Honestly, I think he knows he does not have the climbing form Contador has but has decided to go all out until Contador definitively stamps his dominance (assuming he does so). Until then the competitor in him is pulling out all of the stops but will do it in a way that doesn't undermine Contador at all. Once and if Contador shows the dominance (which I suspect he will) I believe he will concede with class and support Contador for the win (1st priority) and still strive for the podium (2nd priority). He just isn't going to roll over and play super domestique to Contador without Contador showing that "he is the man" and head and shoulders above him in GC ability. Contador's chance to do just that is looming.

Ninety5rpm said:
Lance Armstrong is a human being, therefore he is complex.
You can't put him in either the "arrogant *******" or "decent guy" box, though both characteristics are facets of him. And you too, perhaps.

Most of these guys have never been around alpha/elite competitive athletes before. They think these guys are, or should be, wired just like their fantasy world choir boy. Look how many of them fell for the physcological red herring issued today in the form of an apology. Nice guys but an LA type would crush them before they knew what hit them.

A

Anonymous

byu123 said:
Honestly, I think he knows he does not have the climbing form Contador has but has decided to go all out until Contador definitively stamps his dominance (assuming he does so). Until then the competitor in him is pulling out all of the stops but will do it in a way that doesn't undermine Contador at all. Once and if Contador shows the dominance (which I suspect he will) I believe he will concede with class and support Contador for the win (1st priority) and still strive for the podium (2nd priority). He just isn't going to roll over and play super domestique to Contador without Contador showing that "he is the man" and head and shoulders above him in GC ability. Contador's chance to do just that is looming.

You know, I think you might be right.

A

Anonymous

SpeedWay said:
Most of these guys have never been around alpha/elite competitive athletes before. They think these guys are, or should be, wired just like their fantasy world choir boy. Look how many of them fell for the physcological red herring issued today in the form of an apology. Nice guys but an LA type would crush them before they knew what hit them.

Oh dear, another fanboy who believes that just because he likes Lance Armstrong, everyone who doesn't is a loser.....will people like this ever break from the cliche?

A

Anonymous

SpeedWay said:

You and Lance Armstrong have never been around a pissed off Viking. Nice guys, but an Erik the Red type would split your skulls, couple with your wives, and leave your fields fallow......

See, my heroes are REAL bad asses.....

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Oh dear, another fanboy who believes that just because he likes Lance Armstrong, everyone who doesn't is a loser.....will people like this ever break from the cliche?

Something like the doping chatterboxes who think that everyone who doesn't hate Armstrong is a blind fanboy?

Cliche for cliche.

Thoughtforfood said:

Once you buy a vowel, you'll get a clue. Until then, you're like a kid with a question who'll unfortunately have to wait till he grows up to get an answer.

A

Anonymous

SpeedWay said:
Once you buy a vowel, you'll get a clue. Until then, you're like a kid with a question who'll unfortunately have to wait till he grows up to get an answer.

Once you quit sniffing chamois, you will leave the forum like every other fanboy. Until then you are a clueless hero worshiper of a one nutted fraud who will never win the Tour again. Dang.

A

Anonymous

TrapperJohn said:
Something like the doping chatterboxes who think that everyone who doesn't hate Armstrong is a blind fanboy?

Cliche for cliche.

No, he really is a blind fanboy. I don't know what you are, and don't actually care.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
You and Lance Armstrong have never been around a pissed off Viking. Nice guys, but an Erik the Red type would split your skulls, couple with your wives, and leave your fields fallow......

See, my heroes are REAL bad asses.....

LMFAO, ****ed off viking???? It just keeps getting better.:p

A

Anonymous

frizzlefry said:
LMFAO, ****ed off viking???? It just keeps getting better.:p

Glad to make you laugh. That was my intention. :) (that is if you do realize the post was meant to be surrealistic in nature. If not, you are just a dumbass who cant read sarcasm when it is staring them in the face.)

TRENDING THREADS