• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong comments on Contador feud; "It was deliberate" - link in text.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
Because he's old and getting older. "Time waits for no man."

Edit: Poulidor was still competitive at 40 though not as good as he was when younger. I don't think even WonderLance is immune to the effects of time and he certainly didn't look to me to be anything close to the Lance of 2002 in 2009.

True, he wasn't what he was before. But we were looking at him after a break of 3 seasons. 3 years of accumulated aging were visible to us all at once rather then seeing a slow but steady faltering.

Next year (like Basso) I expect a slight increase in performance due to simple race time. After long time off, I think any rider... Vino, Rasmussen, Basso or Armstrong... would need a full season to be completely back in the groove. With Lance that would likely be offset with a decrease in performance due to age... but I'd think the result would more likely be to break even in terms of performance rather then lose ground.

kurtinsc said:
While I expect A. Schleck and Contador to beat Lance handily... where does the belief that Lance will get worse from this past year come from?

We all know the team will sacrifice for him... because that's what he demands from a team. And we know many of those guys are pretty strong riders. I don't see any reason he wouldn't be in the mix for 3rd again next year.

He'll be 38 and 10 months by next year's TdF. The team can sacrifice all it likes, but the days of the USPS/Discovery train shredding the field and Lance springing to action are over. They can't ride a tempo that will shred AC, AS, FS, Wiggins, etc., and Lance doesn't have that top end kick any more (though I predict that he and Carmichael will tell us all that he has it bac around June (he didn't have it in 2004/2005 either, but that won't stop them from saying it anyway)). This is just the opening salvo of convincing himself and the world that he has what it takes to win.

kurtinsc said:
True, he wasn't what he was before. But we were looking at him after a break of 3 seasons. 3 years of accumulated aging were visible to us all at once rather then seeing a slow but steady faltering.

Next year (like Basso) I expect a slight increase in performance due to simple race time. After long time off, I think any rider... Vino, Rasmussen, Basso or Armstrong... would need a full season to be completely back in the groove. With Lance that would likely be offset with a decrease in performance due to age... but I'd think the result would more likely be to break even in terms of performance rather then lose ground.

Possible but AC and AS should get better. And there is no TTT to help pad his time. He lost chunks of time in the mountains and was never really there to cover the big moves. That doesn't bode well when he's going to have the job of covering AC's attacks (no one on Radio Shack can do it).

wattage said:
This thread is just AC fans bashing Armstrong, like most LA or AC related threads here are. Just a reality check, LA still came third last year after 3½ years off, breaking collarbone and doing the Giro. As for next year, even he is one year older than last year, it really doesn't make a difference, 38 or 39, it's just the same. He will only be stronger next year, not weaker.

Why? Because you say so, or because Lance said so?

Publicus said:
Possible but AC and AS should get better. And there is no TTT to help pad his time. He lost chunks of time in the mountains and was never really there to cover the big moves. That doesn't bode well when he's going to have the job of covering AC's attacks (no one on Radio Shack can do it).

Not only is there no TTT but there is little flat ITT'ing and a lot of climbing. It's a TDF course like an old school Giro course and it does not suit the type of rider that Armstrong is and was. It favors A Schleck, Sastre and of course Contador. Sastre is getting old too, no idea if he's got another good race in him though he looked great at the Giro this past summer.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
wattage said:
This thread is just AC fans bashing Armstrong, like most LA or AC related threads here are. Just a reality check, LA still came third last year after 3½ years off, breaking collarbone and doing the Giro. As for next year, even he is one year older than last year, it really doesn't make a difference, 38 or 39, it's just the same. He will only be stronger next year, not weaker.

Here's a reality check. No team time trail at the 2010 Tour. Buh-bye Lance.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:

Well again, I expect AS and AC to shred the field. They were both clearly stronger then everyone else this past year too.

I just don't see everyone else gaining much ground on Lance. I expect the battle for the last podium spot to be between Frank, Lance, Wiggins, Evans and a couple of others... I don't see all of those guys simply jumping past Lance like many expect.

This bit I don't understand:

Armstrong's view has not changed since: ''It's no secret we are not friends,'' he says. ''It was just typical. Young guy, tons of success, never faltered. I called his PR guy and said, 'I don't want to tell you what to do, but I don't think that's such a good thing to say. That's stupid.'''

Is he talking about himself or Contador?

Even with his funky blood values, Armstrong was not competitive with AC or AS.

Next year should be a lot more competitive. Aside from AC and AS, Evans appears to have finally found his mojo. All the new guys like Gesink and Kreuziger are coming up. Samuel Sanchez could give it a shot. Valverde may be there. Menchov might be able to stay upright. Basso might learn to time trial again.

This year's Tour was an anomaly.

My question is why all of a sudden was he so concerned with Contador's public image after showing throughout 2009, during the Tour and afterwards that he was intent on sullying Contador's rep with all of his imbecilic twittering and negative comments?

Angliru said:
My question is why all of a sudden was he so concerned with Contador's public image after showing throughout 2009, during the Tour and afterwards that he was intent on sullying Contador's rep with all of his imbecilic twittering and negative comments?

He is delusional. He is trying to pretend that he was the mature, older rider who tried to give Contador advice but was ignored. He probably clued in to how petty and small he made himself look with his uncontrolled twittering. Armstrong is trying to blame Contador for the problems he himself caused. It is damage control.

BroDeal said:
Even with his funky blood values, Armstrong was not competitive with AC or AS.

Next year should be a lot more competitive. Aside from AC and AS, Evans appears to have finally found his mojo. All the new guys like Gesink and Kreuziger are coming up. Samuel Sanchez could give it a shot. Valverde may be there. Menchov might be able to stay upright. Basso might learn to time trial again.

This year's Tour was an anomaly.

Nibali might be good too.

Earth Tribe

BANNED
Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
This bit I don't understand:

Armstrong's view has not changed since: ''It's no secret we are not friends,'' he says. ''It was just typical. Young guy, tons of success, never faltered. I called his PR guy and said, 'I don't want to tell you what to do, but I don't think that's such a good thing to say. That's stupid.'''

Is he talking about himself or Contador?

Both. Armstrong is talking from his own experience - he is quite open about the fact he was a bit of a hot head and arrogant. I think he still gets off on having some grudge match going on. The more adversity the better he performs. I think he was probably a bit too laid back going into this years season due to being more used to doing the celebrity circuit. He will benefit greatly this coming year due to the controveries he has been involved in and the general hatred that he will have seen on places like the internet.

I thought this was commonly understood. Surprised so many here don't seem to know that.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Tangled Tango said:
Is any of this news?

So now LA says he is at his best when he creates bitter conflict with his peers and rivals to maintain his competitive edge. Is this his way of explaining/excusing his and JBs belligerence toward anyone anywhere who didn´t tow their line or follow their lead by blacklisting, firings and worse?

And was it really a different LA who undermined AC at all times during the 09 Tour, even trashing him on twitter throughout the race, announcing his own new team in the middle of the race, not joining the existing team that babysat him onto the podium at the victory party?

I suppose the new improved LA was evident because he chummed it up with the peloton youth and x-rivals.....now that he needed friends in his old age.

He may say he is a different person than he was 10 yrs ago, but from here it sure looks a whole lot like business as usual.
+1
Nothing new.
The build up to the tour and the tour i do agree is going to be a huge discussion point amongst the cycling world and be an intersting story and battle. See, you don't have to say epic to get the same message across.
Is armstrong and contador scheduled to rideof the same races pre tour.

Earth Tribe

BANNED
Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Tangled Tango said:
Is any of this news?

So now LA says he is at his best when he creates bitter conflict with his peers and rivals to maintain his competitive edge. Is this his way of explaining/excusing his and JBs belligerence toward anyone anywhere who didn´t tow their line or follow their lead by blacklisting, firings and worse?

It's not a new issue. It's been said for years, and is patently obvious, that Armstrong thrives on conflict and likes to believe everyone is against him.

I think he's being quite gracious in this interview. He's admitting to the type of person he was, and to an extent still is, and is praising Contador for how mentally strong he is despite his attempts to break him down. I think it's true that AC's mental toughness surprised everyone this year along with his form. The fact Armstrong is willing to credit him with this is a noble thing. Armstrong is speaking from own experience as someone himself who was incredibly mentally strong and hard to break down.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Earth Tribe said:
It's not a new issue. It's been said for years, and is patently obvious, that Armstrong thrives on conflict and likes to believe everyone is against him.

Then he should be very happy now...

As somebody allready said, this is a pathetically transparent attempt to do damage control. Sad that nobody talked to LA's own press manager before it was too late.

HL2037 said:

As somebody allready said, this is a pathetically transparent attempt to do damage control. Sad that nobody talked to LA's own press manager before it was too late.

Difference being; Say he won this Tour - Everyone would have been applauding how he "broke" Contador with superior strategy and mental strength. What I always knew that Lance has always been a bully and a shLthead and its only when he loses he doesn't know how to put the spin on it that he once did. He's been found out by someone who is 5000 times more classy than he is and that hurts Lance. Hurts him bad.

Earth Tribe

BANNED
Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
HL2037 said:

I don't understand. Damage control for what?

Earth Tribe

BANNED
Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Difference being; Say he won this Tour - Everyone would have been applauding how he "broke" Contador with superior strategy and mental strength.

Well I don't think everybody would be saying that, because people who don't like him weren't impressed when he did this in previous tours. That's most people here. But yes I think many would be giving him the thumbs up, just the same amount that give him the thumbs up for giving it a go in this last tour. That's where I stand.

What I always knew that Lance has always been a bully and a shLthead and its only when he loses he doesn't know how to put the spin on it that he once did. He's been found out by someone who is 5000 times more classy than he is and that hurts Lance. Hurts him bad.

Again I don't understand. In what sense was he "found out"? Yes he was beaten - is that what you mean? I think it's great that he can admit that Contador was too mentally and physically strong to break down and has some of the atributes that he had, negative and positive. That is a class act. He obviously has a lot of respect for Contador.

Earth Tribe said:
Well I don't think everybody would be saying that, because people who don't like him weren't impressed when he did this in previous tours. That's most people here. But yes I think many would be giving him the thumbs up, just the same amount that give him the thumbs up for giving it a go in this last tour. That's where I stand.

Again I don't understand. In what sense was he "found out"? Yes he was beaten - is that what you mean? I think it's great that he can admit that Contador was too mentally and physically strong to break down and has some of the atributes that he had, negative and positive. That is a class act. He obviously has a lot of respect for Contador.

You do realize he was talking about his freaking teammate right? Why the hell was he trying to breakdown his TEAMMATE? You don't applaud someone for being a d1ck. You call them a d1ck and move on.

Earth Tribe

BANNED
Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
You do realize he was talking about his freaking teammate right? Why the hell was he trying to breakdown his TEAMMATE? You don't applaud someone for being a d1ck. You call them a d1ck and move on.

They were the two favorites going into the Tour. The team mate bullsh1t doesn't count for much in these circumstances. Contador also knew this and attacked despite his team telling him not to, and good luck to him. It was a very unusual situation.

TRENDING THREADS