• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong comments on Contador feud; "It was deliberate" - link in text.

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
auscyclefan94 said:
The amount of posts theis thread has got says that their is really nothing happening in the cycling world at the moment.

Whaddya talking about? The 2010 TdF will be the most epic battle between the worlds 2 best athletes - Alberto and Lance. A real personality clash just makes it all the more exciting.

A battle of wills between the 2 strongest (and cleanest) sporting nations, the USA and Spain!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ripper said:
Whaddya talking about? The 2010 TdF will be the most epic battle between the worlds 2 best athletes - Alberto and Lance. A real personality clash just makes it all the more exciting.

A battle of wills between the 2 strongest (and cleanest) sporting nations, the USA and Spain
!

This issue has been discussed continually. Why flog a dead horse? People are still talking about it because their is nothing else to talk about.

Again i hope the parts in bold you are being sarcastic.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Highlander said:
I'm just curious about the idea of a fabricated conflict versus a real one. Since Armstrong and Contador had real differences, is the purpose of this interview to cast Contador as the bad guy that Lance can beat down next July? In addition, since he's not the same guy that he was in the early 2000s, does this mean that he owes Jan an apology?

Yes. It is now clear the entire "Jan did not wait" BS was an invention.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
i am new to this thread and haven't read all of the posts, but i just read CN's take on the original link, so forgive me if this opinion has already been expressed.

Armstrong just cannot help making himself look like a dick. Please, Lance, do yourself (and us) a favor. Stop talking to the media about anything related to cycling.

gregod said:
Armstrong just cannot help making himself look like a dick. Please, Lance, do yourself (and us) a favor. Stop talking to the media about anything related to cycling.

Now the Hog's chiming in with some of his own. Contador will be a basket case by July:

In an interview with the Belgian magazine Knack , Johan Bruyneel says that Alberto Contador will have “to learn that his fame is temporary”.

http://www.bikeworldnews.com/index.php/2009/12/03/cycling-news-december-3-2009/

errr which is the reason Sir-Dope-a-lot couldn't stay away, no?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
yep nothing to talk about. Ripper thanks for a good laugh, though i doubt spain and the USA are dirtier than anyone else.
Given Armstrong probable political aspirations, maybe he could fool everyone and play the loyal team mate, act pizzed at the lack of following team orders as kloden disappears up the road, just to laugh when he claims that was the plan all along. I'd say leipheimer, but everyone will see that coming, and kloden is stronger. Imagine 2007 if Kloden wasn't hamstrung and kicked out.

I think the best "sporting" analogy, is to take Lance as Mohammed Ali.

The BPC/Sprocket/Arbiter/Earth troll and his ilk, dream he is going into his George Foreman comeback fight, while the rest of us know he's back to fight Larry Holmes.

If nothing else, it's a great example of the effects of age on ultimate athletes.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
gregod said:
i am new to this thread and haven't read all of the posts, but i just read CN's take on the original link, so forgive me if this opinion has already been expressed.

He's entertainment and gives us posters a thing to talk about.

wattage said:
This thread is just AC fans bashing Armstrong, like most LA or AC related threads here are. Just a reality check, LA still came third last year after 3½ years off, breaking collarbone and doing the Giro. As for next year, even he is one year older than last year, it really doesn't make a difference, 38 or 39, it's just the same. He will only be stronger next year, not weaker.

It's my belief that Armstrong was fortunate and lucky to make the podium and I attribute it more to the highly unlikely occurrence of 4 of his potential rivals either crashing out of the Tour (Leipheimer) or coming in with less than ideal form (Menchov and Sastre) as a result of their efforts in the Giro or simply lacking the mental fortitude to overcome early adversity (Evans). Not to mention Vande Velde coming into the Tour after his serious injuries (multiple fractures including his vertebrae) making him capable of primarily supporting Wiggins. I say Leipheimer because he was quoted as holding ambitions of somehow still potentially winning the Tour by way of an unanswered break that put him in the race lead (under the radar of course). He wasn't there for strictly domestique duties, at least in his mind.

Earth Tribe said:
Again I don't understand. In what sense was he "found out"? Yes he was beaten - is that what you mean? I think it's great that he can admit that Contador was too mentally and physically strong to break down and has some of the atributes that he had, negative and positive. That is a class act. He obviously has a lot of respect for Contador.

The primary problem is that had he been successful in "breaking Contador down", making him submit to his bidding and ride in support of him, Andy Schleck would have won the Tour. Armstrong's goal was to win. He may say that he was riding for the best of the team but there is no doubt in my mind that he considers his Tour a failure because he didn't meet his ultimate goal and that is shown by his decision to not share in the celebration of the "team's" victory. He didn't win and as such there was nothing to celebrate. Well he could celebrate the announcement of his new team and obviously planned pirateing of all the significant members of his old team. At the same time it could be argued he was never a member of the team since he chose not to be on their payroll.

Then, Brown asked Armstrong, who owns a home in Aspen and spends part of his time here, whether he thinks athletes should still be role models.

“Of course, yes. Yes, definitely. Look at the two examples you brought up, Andre and Tiger, they’re both very good friends of mine. I think Andre was conflicted on what to do with that story. Obviously, he wanted to tell that story,” Armstrong said.

“Whether to tell the truth, right?” Brown clarified.

“And he did the right thing,” responded Armstrong. “And I think, you know, people might view that in a negative way. I think, by and large, people respect him for being honest about that. I know I certainly do. And nobody’s perfect, as Tiger said the other day.

“And our local paper — we spend part of the year in Aspen — the local paper says, if you don’t want it to be in the paper, don’t do it,” he said as he flashed a smile.

Actually, the motto that graces the top of this paper each day reads: “If you don’t want it printed, don’t let it happen.”

But close enough.

The motto seemed like sage advice when the paper was founded in 1978. And Woods might well agree with it today.

http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/137886

thehog said:
Now the Hog's chiming in with some of his own. Contador will be a basket case by July:

In an interview with the Belgian magazine Knack , Johan Bruyneel says that Alberto Contador will have “to learn that his fame is temporary”.

http://www.bikeworldnews.com/index.php/2009/12/03/cycling-news-december-3-2009/

errr which is the reason Sir-Dope-a-lot couldn't stay away, no?

JB's feelings are really hurt. He's lashing out like a rejected girl/boyfriend.

Earth Tribe said:
In fact given Bruyneel's close relationship with Armstrong and Astana's ongoing troubles, it surprised me that Contador didn't chose to swap teams. Strange that. Could have saved himself a lot of hassle.

Could it have been because he was under contract through 2010 as we have now come to know as a result of the current Astana/Contador contract debacle? Considering how difficult it was for him get out of his contract after the Tour, even with the financial woes of Astana in 2009, it would've been even more difficult for him to just jump to another team although he did consider the option just prior to the Tour when their participation was in doubt.

Also I truly believe that Contador was intent upon showing that he was the stronger rider, regardless of Armstrong's 7 Tour wins and he foolishly believed that Bruyneel would design a strategy that was contrary to the stifling, straitjacket of plan that eventually was used to maximize Armstrong's chances of glory.

I figure Alberto's comments in response to Armstrong should probably go here (instead of starting a new thread).

http://albertocontadornotebook.info/

Alberto Contador has answered the latest from Lance Armstrong on Planet Eurosport. The champion of the Tour, besides indicating that the Texan’s statements don’t worry him “in the least,” says that they serve as motivation. Looking ahead to next season, the Madrileño is focused on the Tour.

The cyclist from Pinto found himself in front of the microphones at Planet Eurosport and has reviewed the challenges facing him next year. Staying at Astana and the loss of riders who have left the team, is something that worries Contador: “Definitely this coming year is going to be a big change. The team that we had was impressive, with impressive riders and this year it’s going to be weaker and with differences that we’re not aware of.”

About his preparation, Alberto is going to put all of his energy into winning his third Tour de France: “This year the Tour de France is going to be an enormous challenge. It’s going to require a lot of work with the team, with the riders, in training camps…to prepare ourselves mentally for being able to win it.”

The Vuelta? Maybe.

The Vuelta is something that he doesn’t discount either, since he’ll be at the presentation of the race and might see nothing wrong with trying for a second victory in September: “I’m going to go to the presentation because you’ve got to help promote it. It’s there as an option. There’s some wiggle room because I’m not going to the Giro.”

Not trading jibes

The question begging to be asked was whether he had an answer to Lance Armstrong’s latest statements, in which the American said again that they are not friends. Contador said that he wasn’t aware of the statements, nor do they bother him, on the contrary: “They don’t bother me, I haven’t even seen the statements. I’m training now. Considering the expectations of the race, I understand him saying this. It does serve to motivate me, but it doesn’t bother me in the least.” (Eurosport)

I'll say this, it is these types of comments that make JB (see front page article) look like an a$$.

Alberto turns off his phone, doesn't use the internet & only has a pager which only Fran & his girlfriend have the number when in massive training blocks.

Lance reads his blackberry whilst out training.

Contador is the most dedicated cyclist in history.

It was easy for Bruyneel & Armstrong to tear down Ullrich but you can't tear down the Spanish wall.

Alberto only finds this stuff out when a journalist asks him.

thehog said:
Alberto turns off his phone, doesn't use the internet & only has a pager which only Fran & his girlfriend have the number when in massive training blocks.

It was easy for Bruyneel & Armstrong to tear down Ullrich but you can't tear down the Spanish wall.

Twitterstrong and his douchebag DS have shown themselves for the utter frauds they are this season. Bruyneel is an utter POS.

Earth Tribe

BANNED
Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:

Was this about the Jon Stewart inteview? I'm not surprised AC hadn't heard about it - it was only the day before and wasn't a particularly serious interview. I'm surprised it was even quoted.

I'm not sure how you know about what AC does when he's training, but some might say the better athlete is the one that is capable of doing more than one thing at the same time. Michael Schumacher would talk to his team on the radio more than any other driver during a race - not a lot of other drivers could do that and still keep up their intensity.

Earth Tribe said:
Was this about the Jon Stewart inteview? I'm not surprised AC hadn't heard about it - it was only the day before and wasn't a particularly serious interview. I'm surprised it was even quoted.

Is the show even broadcasted & translated in Spain at all?:rolleyes:
63upuc.jpg