• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong resurrects journo troll list ! Papers black banned - 1999 all over again

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
What happened to being more open this time ? Isn't $2 million enough to speak ?

Is Lance Armstrong boycotting the assembled media at the Giro d’Italia?

Astana team officials say that’s not the case, but the seven-time Tour de France champion is playing hard-to-get for journalists covering the centenary edition of the corsa rosa.

“It’s not a boycott, but he’s not happy with what the Italians wrote about him: that he was the instigator of the protest on Sunday,” Astana team spokesman Philippe Maertens told VeloNews. “From now on, Lance said he wants to focus on the race and help Levi to try to win the Giro.”

When contacted by VeloNews this week for additional comment, Armstrong’s spokesman Mark Higgins replied via e-mail: “No boycott at all, but like Philippe said, he is focusing on the race and helping Levi go for the overall.”

Armstrong’s first Giro appearance of his career helped draw more than 1,000 journalists, including the Associated Press and The New York Times, which each sent reporters to cover the Giro start-to-finish, in large part because of Armstrong’s presence.

But Armstrong hasn’t made it easy for hacks chasing a quote.

Armstrong attended a pre-race press conference and was speaking daily since the Giro began, but has recently gone quiet.

According to an informal poll among U.S. media covering the Giro, Armstrong hasn’t spoken since the start of stage 6 to reporters at the Astana team bus, where journalists typically gather before and after stages to catch riders’ reactions to the day’s events.

The apparent media freeze-out has also coincided with the decision by team management to ride in jerseys and shorts with the Astana team sponsors faded out. Riders debuted the protest jerseys at the start of stage 7 in Innsbruck, Austria.

Armstrong was spotted conducting a video interview Sunday morning with Italian sports daily La Gazzetta dello Sport before the start of stage 9 in Milan in a restricted VIP area not accessible to credentialed journalists.

Things came to a head following Sunday’s controversial rider protest, when the peloton decided it would not compete at race speed on what they deemed a dangerous circuit.

Several Italian media outlets blasted the peloton and many heaved the blame on Armstrong.

Astana did not hold a press conference on Monday’s rest day and interview requests with individual riders were not granted.

Instead of speaking directly to reporters, Armstrong has been using Twitter and posting video interviews on his own Web page to express his views.

That’s what Armstrong did following Tuesday’s electrifying 10th stage. He crossed the finish line and turned around to go directly to the team hotel, leaving journalists to pull reactions off the Twitter site

May 20, 2009
Visit site
LA does the alpha male thing to a greater degree than anyone in the sport of cycling. Everything he does is about being THE dominant one in the group, in this case, the entire sport. Say what you will, his success at it is what annoys people about him.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
longrun said:
LA does the alpha male thing to a greater degree than anyone in the sport of cycling. Everything he does is about being THE dominant one in the group, in this case, the entire sport. Say what you will, his success at it is what annoys people about him.

Can you be dominant in saying nothing ? or did you mean dormant ?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
longrun said:
I wonder if he's different in those private moments when he lets his guard down.
He's probably the submissive one when him and Johan snuggle at night.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
You guys are a joke!!!

I swear...Armstrong can do nothing to please you so just shut the heck up already!! So he isn't talking to the media. Big freakin deal. The Giro didn't pay him to talk to the media...they paid him to come and race. If I was being treated like him (regarding the Milan stage) I wouldn't talk to the press either. You guys act like spoiled brats...he owes you nothing so shut up.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
I swear...Armstrong can do nothing to please you so just shut the heck up already!! So he isn't talking to the media. Big freakin deal. The Giro didn't pay him to talk to the media...they paid him to come and race. If I was being treated like him (regarding the Milan stage) I wouldn't talk to the press either. You guys act like spoiled brats...he owes you nothing so shut up.

+1,000,000!!!

When he talks, these bitttches complain. When he doesn't talk, the whining gets even louder. STFU.

TRDean said:

Maybe guys like you, with painfully limited critical thinking skills, would like to spoon him at night too...

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
trdean said:
i swear...armstrong can do nothing to please you so just shut the heck up already!! So he isn't talking to the media. Big freakin deal. The giro didn't pay him to talk to the media...they paid him to come and race. If i was being treated like him (regarding the milan stage) i wouldn't talk to the press either. You guys act like spoiled brats...he owes you nothing so shut up.

+10000000000000

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Dude, you got a serious obsession here. Armstrong is a has-been. His best days, doped or otherwise, have gone by. He hasn't done anything spectacular in the Giro, and probably won't be a threat to the GC in the Tour. Who cares how he rides, what he says, or what he doesn't say?

In the midst of all this LA bashing, you're missing a terrific Giro.

There is already hating Lance/loving Lance threads on here so I think all opinions on Lance should be confined to those threads. We already spend too much time talking about a guy who has done nothing this season, one of the reasons I think a lot of people didnt want to see him back. Let keep the Lance stuff to a minimun or at least to the relevant threads.

A

Anonymous

TRDean said:

+987324516

there is of course a perfectly valid reason he is not talking to the media...

because he is posting pretty much daily video blogs on livestrong.. he doesnt want people to read what he has to say in the newspapers, he wants them to go to livestrong and watch it there because it is publicity for the corporation (no doubt him as well)...

people round here really need to stop viewing everything with anti-astana tinted glasses... (and no.. mine arent rose tinted.. im just smart enough to know why hes doing what hes doing, its perfectly normal media aware behaviour)

I don't like the guy, but it isn't his duty to talk to the press. A lot of guys don't talk to them. Who cares? Non-story. Get over it.

Why would he even need to talk to the media anyway? He's already getting as much on-camera time in the race as the Maglia Rosa, with one camera glued to him every pedal stroke, regardless of how well, or poor he does. And there's all of his Livestrong stuff, the Twitter tweets. Anything one wants to know about the guy, is easy to find out. It doesn't require yet another interview.

On the flip side, what exactly has he done for Levi at this Giro? I don't recall seeing him put in any long pulls for him, get water bottles, or anything like that.

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:
On the flip side, what exactly has he done for Levi at this Giro? I don't recall seeing him put in any long pulls for him, get water bottles, or anything like that.

you not been watching his blogs then.. ? hes been cutting up levis food for him at dinner and putting music on his ipod for him :D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
you not been watching his blogs then.. ? hes been cutting up levis food for him at dinner and putting music on his ipod for him :D

Well now, that is rather important too. You can't underestimate the needs of a cyclist off the bike. I bet one of his most important assignments is to (re)inflate Levi to man-size proportions again every day. Although I do think LA is slacking in that department... LL looked awfully impish today...

Alpe d'Huez said:
I don't like the guy, but it isn't his duty to talk to the press.

Yes, it is. Just like it's the duty of any pro athlete in any sport. Imagine the captain of a hockey team (I'm Canadian, eh) refusing to speak to the media. It would never happen

That's 'cause the sports media enjoy a symbiotic relationship with the athletes they cover; one couldn't survive without the other.

I don't know about you folks, but it seems clear to me that Mr. Armstrong has an ego the size of Manhatten. Everything has to go his way, regardless of the methods he uses to achieve his goals.

Chase a poor sap down in the closing stages of a long race to prove a point?
Check.

Get all passive agressive with the media when things don't go your way?
Check.

**** the sport; it's all about Lance.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad he's finally shifted his focus to helping Levi from a cycling standpoint. But where is Livestrong in all this? It seems he should be jumping at opportunities to push his cancer message and Livestrong. That really seems to have taken a backseat to winning a stage and complaining about the course.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
I look forward to his "tweets" this morning, next he'll be doing a press conference by using tweeter! Not talking, well he won't shut up on that thing!!

All I will say on the subject, and those who know their "soccer" will understand is Sir Alex Ferguson.

Lance is following a similar strategy to the Manchester United manager who has been doing the same media relation strategy as Lance but for about 15 years longer.

Only difference is that rather than talk to other TV channels or journalists, Lance is using his own media to get his soundbites out there.

A

Anonymous

jmnikricket said:
I'm glad he's finally shifted his focus to helping Levi from a cycling standpoint. But where is Livestrong in all this? It seems he should be jumping at opportunities to push his cancer message and Livestrong. That really seems to have taken a backseat to winning a stage and complaining about the course.

read my post.. he isnt talking the press but is along with levi doing 2 video blogs a day on livestrong to get people looking at those.. !

the delgados said:
Yes, it is. Just like it's the duty of any pro athlete in any sport. Imagine the captain of a hockey team (I'm Canadian, eh) refusing to speak to the media. It would never happen

That's 'cause the sports media enjoy a symbiotic relationship with the athletes they cover; one couldn't survive without the other.

Bingo. Exactly what I was going to post - almost word for word.

TRENDING THREADS