• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong takes money then spits in the face of the Giro !

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
You know that whole pack wanted to go slow the first two thirds of the race just to get a break... They were going 50 km/hr the last 20k. If the entire pack was scared they would not have raced it like that in the end.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
Who cares? They are pro bike racers, we are not. Yah, personally I rarely race crits anymore because I'm sick of the crashes, but that's because I don't get paid to. These guys do.

Clearly you are happy to go to your workplace knowing the potential for an accident. Yeh right!
These guys already take plenty of risks even descending a mountain with no oncoming cars, so it is a bit rich to call them soft. When a circuit is set up and the riders feel that not everything has been done to minimise risks, then I think they are entitled to say so. It has been done in the past and will happen again, whether LA is there or not.
As others have said, there is a lot of s##t being put forth by keyboard races on this thread.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
Dopes. D-O-P-E!

If Lance was clean for the Giro he'd have DNF'd a week ago, first day of climbing. He probably took a blood refill this morning.

Cheers :)
Thanks for bringing the thread back to topic irrespective of what the thread title was. :rolleyes:

For a moment I thought that all the posters were going to talk about was racing, but luckily you have managed to include the D word.

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
just remembered one bit where a van was parked on a centre reservation with about 2 foot of its **** end sticking out causing everyone to swerve.. the course was a mess..

as for lance and money.. i was under the impression that his appearance fees where going to livestrong.. is that wrong?

The US$1 million appearance fee LA received for his attendance at the TDU certainly didn't go to Livestrong.

From the New York Times;

Armstrong,
…did not specify the amount of his fee but said Saturday that, contrary to what had been reported here last week, he was not donating the fee to his foundation but treating it as income, the same way he has his other speaking and appearance fees since retirement.

A

Anonymous

Again, the route was listed many months ago and now its an issue? WTH?[/QUOTE]

el.. do you think they could possibly known how the course would be done from a street map?
it was in the details. they have said precisely what was wrong. have you read it?
they are not issues they could have known those months ago.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm surprised LA has been blamed for global warming, the credit crunch, hositilies in the Middle East, Iraq and Afganistan by some yet.

And as for Bigboat - **** me, how on earth do you even get out of the bed in the morning? Why do you still follow pro cycling then if you are so bitter and twisted? Sorry for taking this thread off topic, but it is starting to beome annoying.

Hey I once rode up the Tourmalet (same side as last year's Tour) 16 minutes ahead of a group I was in and all of a similar ability, I guess I was doped as well.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
craig1985 said:
And as for Bigboat - **** me, how on earth do you even get out of the bed in the morning? Why do you still follow pro cycling then if you are so bitter and twisted? Sorry for taking this thread off topic, but it is starting to beome annoying.

The ignore feature is your friend.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Whine whine whine ....... Lance is doped ..... Lance made everyone not race in Milan ...... Lance is a a-hole ...... blame it all on LA.

When any of you fat asses that know so much and complain about it all are employed by, and racing with, any of the teams on the pro circuit and know what's going on..... come back to the forum and THEN tell us your woes.

A bunch of whiners ..... you know who you are. Take a look in the mirror and whine to yourself for 5 minutes and see if it doesn't make you laugh or want to kill yourself.

Have a day

May 19, 2009
Visit site
When organizers get arm twisted by non bike racing city officials and policemen trying to approve a bike race course bad things happen. I have raced on some very crappy courses. I know what it feels like to line up and race when I have a bad feeling in my gut about the course. I don't think Deluca or Armstrong would have protested if the course would have been reasonable. They didn't sign up for Athens Twilight Criterium.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
They just wanted an extra rest day-- many in the peleton had their lambswool pulled over thier eyes and fell for it-- The Lucy and lancelot show-- must be laughing all the way to the bank-- levi to win by a short a+se:p:p:p

May 18, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
You know that whole pack wanted to go slow the first two thirds of the race just to get a break... They were going 50 km/hr the last 20k. If the entire pack was scared they would not have raced it like that in the end.

Good point bunch of nancys:p:p:p

May 1, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
... (and it was, and we are not just talking about the security of the fans, or the welfare of the riders from accidents, what was to stop a nutter with a knife stepping out at a rider, a complete lack of security anywhere, any terrorists would have had a field day..)...

what a load of ********. so should the riders neutralise all the main climbs in this years Tour as well? what's stopping a nutter with a knife being in that crowd? maybe even a terrorist with a hand bag might take out Lance again.

im sorry, as soon as people start using the 'what about terrorists' line... :rolleyes:

A

Anonymous

boalio said:
what a load of ********. so should the riders neutralise all the main climbs in this years Tour as well? what's stopping a nutter with a knife being in that crowd? maybe even a terrorist with a hand bag might take out Lance again.

im sorry, as soon as people start using the 'what about terrorists' line... :rolleyes:

because there is a massive publicity difference between someone causing trouble on a climb, and an oganised group causing trouble in one of the major city centres in the world..

anyway.. it was just an add on to the already lengthy list of reasons as to why sunday was a fiasco..

today however was much better... on with the giro.. :D

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
These militant groups dont give a sh$t about some bike race. If they did there would have been a bomb explosion on the mountain side by now, after 100+ years. lol

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
krebs303 said:
Let's see 3 riders crashed on the first lap. which was what 32kph average?
Is that out of the ordinary? I guess you can touch wheels at any speed. Does anyone know if that was the cause. did they go down together? were they avoiding obstacles in the road?

They were probably nervous about the stage and just touched wheels like you said.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
These militant groups dont give a sh$t about some bike race. If they did there would have been a bomb explosion on the mountain side by now, after 100+ years. lol

Maybe the militant groups don't care, but there are some wacko wannabe-terrorists. Go back and watch at the 2004 Olympic marathon in Athens. Don't forget that their real aim is publicity, just like the other protesters that occasionally show up to halt a stage.

Having said that, this is a small risk that riders accept (as they should), and is far different than the treacherous course at Milan on Sunday. I agree that when we invoke terrorist threats, the thread has jumped the shark.

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
trailrunner said:
Maybe the militant groups don't care, but there are some wacko wannabe-terrorists. Go back and watch at the 2004 Olympic marathon in Athens.

Apropos of nothing beyond a bizarre story, apparently that psycho from the Olympic marathon is a defrocked priest who's now appearing as an Irish dancer on a British reality/talent show.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Cartesian Centaur said:
Apropos of nothing beyond a bizarre story, apparently that psycho from the Olympic marathon is a defrocked priest who's now appearing as an Irish dancer on a British reality/talent show.
That makes sense.

Leopejo said:
Rabobank declined the offer, because they did not want to partake in what was deemed a political game between some teams and the organization.

And still after the stage, race leader Di Luca didn't know of their refusal of the offer.

According to the Rabobank sport site, some cyclists and team leaders offered to have the Rabobank team finish first en bloc. They do not specify who made the offer. Since this was during the race I presume that it was rather hard to communicate this to 190 riders, so I'm not surprised that there are riders who don't know. Since Di Luca doesn't wear an earpiece, it's not surprising that he missed it.

Assuming that Rabobank never said 'yes' to the offer, it seems to me that it isn't their responsibility to inform all the riders of how the race should go. Fact is that Rabobank didn't lead the 'revolt' and merely reacted to an offer by others. It was the responsibility of the revolt leaders to inform everyone, IMHO.

Leopejo said:
They also found it unjustifiable to 'use' the Horillo accident in order to advance the interests of some teams v. the organization.

Interesting. Can you expand on this?

According to the site, given the medical situation of Horillo, it would not be appropriate to do a tribute to Horillo. Presumably because many other riders have sustained non-life threatening injuries before, without getting a tribute. Rabobank also says that they do not feel that the protest should center around Horillo, presumably because such an accident could also have happened in the Tour or the Vuelta. They said that this Giro is more dangerous than other races (not just the Milan stage) and feel that the organisers should work harder on making the race safe. So the focus should not be on an incident (the Horillo crash) that impacts one team, but on the general safety of the race which involves the entire peleton (not just Rabobank).

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
LOL no, Beloki was in front of him at the time. Beloki skidded the rear wheel, then blew out his rear tire, leading to his high-siding the bike in the crash and coming down hard on his leg and smashing his femur.

It was just a tragic freak thing that can happen on the last mountain descent on a hot day with a tired rider.

Are you sure ? I'm think there was foul play from Armstrong. Beloki wouldn't have fell if he knew Lance didn't want children with Crowe.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
trailrunner said:
Sez who? Take an extreme example where in the middle of the show, the fans start pelting her with white-wine sprizers. Why don't you think she could leave at that point?
You were the one who brought up those two as examples to support your argument. I was just pointing out the flaws in your logic.

You know a lot about white wine sprizers as well. Are you sure you're male ? :p

It was reported this morning that Armstrong received 2millionUSD for his appearance at the Giro. None of which went to LiveStrong.
Ferrari must be having a bumper year along with Roche.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
you also go to PR with a bike designed for the course...

yesterdays stage would have involved trials bikes, crash helmets and body armour..

How long has the course been out? If they really needed different equipment, why didn't they bring it?