• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong to send $250,000 to Hati

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
I think its a great gesture as well; however, I'm somewhat surprised that Armstrong didn't donate from his personal funds if he felt the desire to contribute. Was many raised for Livestrong not donated by people who believed they were contributing in the fight against *cancer*? No doubt that this is a deserving cause, but isn't it sill misappropriation (not sure if this is the right word?) of donated funds?

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Whose money is that then?

It is awful when something like this is done and the only thing in my mind is,"whats the angle".

I guess I have Zero Dollarance for his swervacious nature!!

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
I captained a team that raised $120,000 last year for the Alberta Cancer Foundation....I just know that my donors would have been ****ed if at the last minute I decided to send the money to 'Christian Children's Fund' instead.

Ad Rock said:
I captained a team that raised $120,000 last year for the Alberta Cancer Foundation....I just know that my donors would have been ****ed if at the last minute I decided to send the money to 'Christian Children's Fund' instead.

That was my question on another thread. Why donate LiveStrong funds to several other charities, with the intent, of them using those funds to help in Haiti. Seems to me he could have donated his own funds directly to those charities and let LiveStrong continue with its mission.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
A chunk of which will be going to the Clinton Foundation - well, with the run for Governor in 2012 it's never to early to start greasing a few palms...

Sorry to be cynical - of course we may never know who has donated privately because those of us who aren't media *****s and publicity hounds usually prefer to give discreetly - self congratulation is just so vulgar, however good the cause

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
A

Anonymous

Whatever we think of him as a person, and whatever his reasons for doing it and making it so public, and where-ever the money came from, they really need it so good on him for diverting some funds down there.

Hibbles said:
Whatever we think of him as a person, and whatever his reasons for doing it and making it so public, and where-ever the money came from, they really need it so good on him for diverting some funds down there.

I wasn't trying to attack him. Really it was more of a question. They do need funds immediately, so bully on him for stepping up to the plate.

A

Anonymous

Publicus said:
I wasn't trying to attack him. Really it was more of a question. They do need funds immediately, so bully on him for stepping up to the plate.

Yeah, that wasn't a response to your post at all. Just my general musings.

Anyway, I see Obama has gone and splurged $100m down there! That's how to do it!

Don't expect much from Gordon Brown though, we're still skint. And will be for the next 10,000,000 years.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Hibbles said:
Yeah, that wasn't a response to your post at all. Just my general musings.

Anyway, I see Obama has gone and splurged $100m down there! That's how to do it!

Don't expect much from Gordon Brown though, we're still skint. And will be for the next 10,000,000 years.

You guys just need to lighten up and print some more money. Join the party.

A

Anonymous

I'm glad to see any help going to Haiti, and it's a shame that we have to even think in other terms. But the question that always pops into mind is, does the money come from Livestrong.com, the for-profit site, or are they sending money raised for cancer via Livestrong.org? Yep, donating his appearance fee would have been more impressive. Doing it privately (what am I saying - do you think he even closes the bathroom door?) would have meant more.

During the Tour, he announced that all proceeds raised by the sale of Livestrong bands during the race would go to cancer organizations in France. Did anyone see anywhere if that really happened, or how much they received?

OK, back to sending thoughts and prayers to the poor Earthquake victims and their families.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
We are quite skint here in the US as well. A trillion dollars in debt from this year alone. Doesn't stop the US from donating. This is where the United States differs from the rest of the world.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Britain has already sent vital aid workers and several UK charities have already mobilised aid and support - there are more ways to help in a crisis than just throwing money at the problem, particularly when money can get diverted in the wrong directions. Unfortunately CC it's that kind of arrogant nonsense that gives the US such a bad reputation

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
What has all this gosipping in this thread have to do with trying to help the unfortunate people in Haiti? Also what does it have to do with pro road racing?

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Ad Rock said:
I think its a great gesture as well; however, I'm somewhat surprised that Armstrong didn't donate from his personal funds if he felt the desire to contribute. Was many raised for Livestrong not donated by people who believed they were contributing in the fight against *cancer*? No doubt that this is a deserving cause, but isn't it sill misappropriation (not sure if this is the right word?) of donated funds?

It is his personal funds.

He's donating the money "on behalf of" Livestrong. If he's telling the truth (and with Lance you never know), that means he (and possibly some sponsors) are donating a sum of money in the name of the Lance Armstrong Foundation.

If the LAF were donating th money, it would read "the LAF is donating 250K"... not "we are donating 250K on behalf of".

Clemson Cycling said:
We are quite skint here in the US as well. A trillion dollars in debt from this year alone. Doesn't stop the US from donating. This is where the United States differs from the rest of the world.
The US donates a lower percentage of their GDP to development aid than almost every other industrialized nation in the world. Get your facts straight.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
It's the Lance Armstrong Foundation donating the $250k, not Lance himself... Big difference.

Also to answer an earlier question, MLB announced it is donating $1 Million to Haiti.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Hibbles said:

No, US taxpayers sent 100m. Obama will just take the credit. "Never waste a good crisis," Mr. President. Isn't that what you said?

Back to the original post. I believe what Lance is doing is donating his own money in the Livestrong name. At least that's how the article read. Regardless, no matter what he does, he'll have his detractors. What else is new?

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
jmax22 said:
It's the Lance Armstrong Foundation donating the $250k, not Lance himself... Big difference.

Also to answer an earlier question, MLB announced it is donating $1 Million to Haiti.

Is it?

All I have is the link provided here. If you take it at face value, he states that "we" (whoever that is) are donating 250,000 "on behalf of" the LAF.

If he's telling the truth... that statements reads that Lance (and some other person/people) are donating money in the name of the LAF.

If the money is coming from the LAF, that's a pretty weak statement. Taking credit for what a charity is doing is a little meh.