• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong's comeback reasons reviewed by Walsh/Ballester

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
SpeedWay said:
These two monkeys be H A T E R S. Nothing else really matters.

I think another reason this book is valid is to combat poo like the below. Remember the key to effective government is strong opposition.
____

Armstrong said he would be working with Don Catlin, the founder of the new Anti-Doping Research Institute in Los Angeles, in an attempt to be completely open about his tests.

Armstrong, in an attempt to lessen doubts that his seven Tour victories were won without doping, said: "I want to have a level of transparence and I don't want to leave any hint of doubt. I will do what I am asked to do. It is his (Catlin's) work. He will do whatever he wants (concerning testing).
Catlin himself said: "Everything will be made public and everyone will be able to see the evolution of the results and see if there have been changes.
"What will happen? His samples will also be frozen for analysis in several years time if need be."

Armstrong has been accused of doping practices on several occasions, most notably in an article in French sports newspaper L'Equipe in 2005, claiming six urine samples from his 1999 Tour victory contained blood-boosting drug EPO.

Armstrong, who was treated for testicular cancer in 1996, has continually claimed his comeback, which will be for at least one year, was to raise awareness of cancer through his "Livestrong" cancer prevention campaign.
"I have no contract, no wages and no bonuses," Armtrong said. "Everything is being done as a type of donation. It will be for at least a year but it could be longer. It depends on how the campaign (cancer awareness) goes."
_____

- Yep everything is being down as a "type of donation" ! Donation to himself !

I really do find it disgusting that he misrepresents what he is doing in this way. Preying to vulnerable side of people who have less chance of survival then he ever did to make them part with their money in buying his books, armbands and whatnot to fund his extravagant lifestyle. I would prefer that money to got to a reputable cancer charity like macmillan.

whiteboytrash said:
"I want to have a level of transparence and I don't want to leave any hint of doubt. I will do what I am asked to do. It is his (Catlin's) work. He will do whatever he wants (concerning testing)..."

That was before he found out that it would be too expensive, meaning it would cost a very small fraction of his start fees.

nobody said:
How much pay a team for a full year of testing of their riders?

At $500 per test with fifty tests per year and twenty-five riders that would be $625K. That might be too high. All samples taken would not have to be tested and the highest cost tests would not have to be done with every test; taking more samples than are tested would force the riders to be more careful than they would be with fewer samples.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
There is no doubt that the LAF does some good for cancer and it's sufferers. However it seems that the LAF does more good for LA himself and this appears to be where his true motivation lies. Before he got cancer where has LA ever shown regard or charity for anyone else? I can't find any great examples.

Who was that rider who purposely came 4th in his last race in Belgium because he didn't want to be on the podium with Armstrong. The other 2 riders were happy to let him win out of respect, but not Armstrong.

If Armstrong ever becomes President of the USA and treats us like he did the whistleblowers of doping practices, prepare for tyranny. No free speech, war, etc. Hell, his friends with Big Bad George Bush himself. speaks loud enough.

The world would have been a better place and the sport probably cleaner if Armstrong had of died from his cancer.

stevepedo said:
Hm, read from "Lance to Landis" by perchance?

No, but thanks for the head's up. I see on Amazon a new copy can be had for $3.55. I'll have to figure out the price point on the paper I wipe my a$$ with. There's a good chance I'll go with a few copies of his book to get the job done at a better price in these trying economic times.

A

Anonymous

SpeedWay said:
No, but thanks for the head's up. I see on Amazon a new copy can be had for $3.55. I'll have to figure out the price point on the paper I wipe my a$$ with. There's a good chance I'll go with a few copies of his book to get the job done at a better price in these trying economic times.

Why don't you just use your hand? Oh, sorry, then what would you use when you look at the Lance poster on the ceiling above your bed?

May 14, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
At $500 per test with fifty tests per year and twenty-five riders that would be $625K. That might be too high. All samples taken would not have to be tested and the highest cost tests would not have to be done with every test; taking more samples than are tested would force the riders to be more careful than they would be with fewer samples.

Thanks.

So with less than a tenth of his GIRO fees could Lance Armstrong have financed a very nice Catlin's doping program...
But the will wasn't there

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

The Catlin testing was only Lance with the rest of the team using Daamsgard. Lance stated the team would pay for his program (I'll send link if required) and would not be paying for it himself - reason given that he was not drawing salary.

I think once Astana got into money troubles then the Catlin program was dropped because there was no way in hell Captain Texas was going to pay for his own testing from his own money. Well there was no way in hell that he would allow himself to be tested that much.

A

Anonymous

SpeedWay said:
That's easy - your mouth. Minus the Lance poster, of course.

I don't swing that way Liberache, but I am sure there is a public park near you. Dang, you let guys do that to you? Well, I actually have nothing against homosexuals. Good for you for coming out here. I hope you can marry you lover actually.

Oh, and this is a cycling forum. I think if you are going to proposition people for things like that, there are better places to do it. I am not sure which sites are out there, but Google will help.

whiteboytrash said:
The Catlin testing was only Lance with the rest of the team using Daamsgard. Lance stated the team would pay for his program (I'll send link if required) and would not be paying for it himself - reason given that he was not drawing salary.

I think once Astana got into money troubles then the Catlin program was dropped because there was no way in hell Captain Texas was going to pay for his own testing from his own money. Well there was no way in hell that he would allow himself to be tested that much.

IS THAT YOU LANCE?
Because all the bull**** you have written looks to me exactly as his fairy tales:D:D

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Armstrong's comeback is inspirational to many

As a physician working primarily with cyclists, I can attest to several cases where patients have found inspiration and motivation by following Lance Armstrong's return to racing.

I have a patient who was/is an avid cyclist. She had her femur removed as a result of having a form of cancer called Ewing's sarcoma. Her rehabilitation has been long and painful. She has said several times that "If Lance can do it, then so can I."

She currently cannot even make one complete turn of the pedals due to loss of range of motion. She does, however, spend many hours per week striving to increase her ability to flex her knee. She is making improvements and will probably be able to return to the sport we all love.

People can say whatever they want about Armstrong, but there is at least one person (and probably thousands more) who finds strength to perservere as a result of his story.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
There is no doubt that LA is a huge inspiration to all the usual suspects, and the stories come fast and thick, but what gets lost in the quandary of discussion on this topic is the ethos surrounding this man. Unfortunately, there's a lot of bad that comes with the good.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Lance, LIVESTRONG and the Tour Down Under

I don't know what is happening overseas with Lance's promotion of LIVESTRONG but here in Adelaide at the 2009 Tour Down Under he was busy promoting cancer research and extracting money from our State and Federal Goverments to further fund a new cancer research centre, to be named the "LIVESTRONG Cancer Research Centre". See the link http://www.flinders.sa.gov.au/fmcfoundation/files/pages/LanceArmstrong24Jan09V2.pdf
My family was lucky enough (not really - it required a family member dying of cancer to get an invite) to get an invitation to his breakfast where he gave a passionate and motivating speech, promoted cancer research and LIVESTRONG on a National breakfast TV programme and took time to chat with chidren from CANTEEN (an organisation providing support, activities and camps for teenagers with cancer in their family). He then went to visit children in the Children's Hospital. All on the "day off" between the Down Under Classic and first stage of the TDU. Not bad effort for such a busy man.:)

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
PandaMan said:
All on the "day off" between the Down Under Classic and first stage of the TDU. Not bad effort for such a busy man.:)

Yes not a bad effort.... 1 day of work for 1 million dollars personal !! Give me a break !

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I am not a Lance fan, but give the guy a break. He is an inspiration for cancer sufferers and his Livestrong foundation does a good job in supporting people through their treatment. If he can build hospitals to help cancer sufferers, then good on him.

You should be able to separate the obnoxious, arrogant personality and doped, omerta-enforcing cyclist from the person that does do some good for the community. His personal and cycling traits shouldn't prevent someone from being inspired by his survival and comeback and using this to strive for their own survival. And no matter what you say and how it was achieved, it is still an inspiring story.

Yes, he makes money from the foundation and the percentage of money donated that goes towards charitable causes is relatively low, but he is still doing something about cancer and people who suffer from the various forms of this disease.

Ironically, I have just finished reading From Lance to Landis and whilst I didnt learn much that I didnt know already, I would pretty much believe everything in it. Perhaps people should read A Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage, Breaking the Chain by Willy Voet & A dog in a hat by Joe Parkin first and then read the anti-Lance books, makes them much easier to believe & much more realistic.

On the other side of the coin, this latest Walsh/Ballester efforts seems like a cynical, money making effort, its not related to Lance cheating his way to sports victories but to personal issues which is totally irrelevant to the sport of cycling for me.

To the average person, Lance is a hero and a nice guy, I know this from talking to many non-cycling fans and frustrates me for sure. Now your average cycling fans knows these things are not necessarily true and many are aggrieved that his legacy was built on falsehoods.

To me Lance/Livestrong is similar to religion in that they provide inspiration and hope for many but many people simply dont believe in then and see them as false. I generally dont get involved in criticising Livestrong or religion, I dont believe in either but if they give inspiration and hope to others no matter what I think, then people can believe what they want.

I have no respect for Lance as a person but I refuse to criticise his work for cancer or the Livestrong foundation. It would be more appropiate if people reserved their dislike for Lance the athlete. Armstrong doesnt make it easy by interlinking his career with cancer, its very cynical to abuse the cancer angle to defend himself from his cycling critics like Paul Kimmage but I feel people should hold of on criticising Livestrong, just my thoughts

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
whiteboytrash said:
I've noticed that all Lance fans now start posts with: "I am not a Lance fan, but...."

Give me a break !!!

If you've read my other posts, then you would know that I am definitely not a Lance fan and, in fact, an open critic. If you haven't read them, then Alpe, BigBoat, jackhammer, slowoldman and others can attest to my views on Armstrong. But I agree with everything that pmcg76 wrote. There is a definite disparity in how Lance is viewed between the average Joe on the street and the cycling fan. But even the worst of people can have redeeming qualities. Livestrong's work with cancer patients is good work. You don't have to bring down his good work because of your hatred of all things Lance.

elapid said:
I am not a Lance fan, but give the guy a break. He is an inspiration for cancer sufferers and his Livestrong foundation does a good job in supporting people through their treatment. If he can build hospitals to help cancer sufferers, then good on him.

You should be able to separate the obnoxious, arrogant personality and doped, omerta-enforcing cyclist from the person that does do some good for the community. His personal and cycling traits shouldn't prevent someone from being inspired by his survival and comeback and using this to strive for their own survival. And no matter what you say and how it was achieved, it is still an inspiring story.

Yes, he makes money from the foundation and the percentage of money donated that goes towards charitable causes is relatively low, but he is still doing something about cancer and people who suffer from the various forms of this disease.

Elapid it's not about the "good" the foundation is doing, and in any case there are many ways to help the cancer community besides Mr. Armstrong's thing. The American Cancer Society for one, or directly funding research institutions like the universities. No it's about supporting a campaign which has made a tool of the cancer community to advance the persona of a liar and charlatan. Armstrong's a sporting fraud and a chronic liar. That's the truth. And he is laughing at the Truth and will also be at History, which he, through the impact of Livestrong on public opinion, has falsified. Thus Livestrong, which does not save lives, is merely a propaganda machine to manipulate public opinion in regards to a man who is a liar and a fraud. And may, as if that were'nt enough, open up a portal to a promising political career! It's just obscene. That's what critically the issue is really about, because in supporting Livestrong we all become complices in Armstrong's lies and falsifications. And Armstrong is not a servant of the cancer communtiy. To the contrary, it is serving him. The cancer community through Livestrong, has become a formidable ideological shield against his falsified career, and, at the same time, a springboard to launch a possible future political career; where the stupid yellow wristbands become the identifying brand of a mass movement, which in reality has practically nothing to do with the fight against cancer and certainly won't save a single life. Rather they become a pledge of loyalty to a man who has public ambitions. Believe me that's what this is all about.

No, no breaks for Armstrong. Especially since he is one who has shown no mercy toward any collegue who has in the least criticised him, or left his squadra, or dared to shed light on how advanced doping was conected to a medic with whom he had sporting relations for years. And anybody from Texas who has political ambitions and is a noted friend of a certain Texan, represents a figure who needs to be exposed as the fraud he is. And defeated, once and for all in the public sphere. Plain and simple.