• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Arnaud Démare discussion thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Pantani_lives said:
I don't think he can beat Kittel and Greipel in the first week, but if he holds on he might win when the others get tired or leave the race. Perhaps a French victory on the Champs-Élysées?
Maybe not Kittel, but he should be able to beat Greipel.

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
2-1
(Pictures removed, see original post.)

Wait-wait-what? That kid in the first photo is Bouhanni?
Think it says something about their... erhm... lack of team spirit that they are both significantly not celebrating the other's win in the photos from when they were teammates, in fact in both in rather looks like they were sprinting against each other.

Re:

swissfr said:
Bouhanni and Démare hate each other
Yep...and Demare's celebration after the line was very telling, turning to his right fist pumping in Nacer's face. No love between the two, and the problem for Bouhani is that Demare consistently beats him head to head, It may have been 50-50 a couple of years ago, not anymore.

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
I'm afraid that in order to win a stage, Kittel has to mess up the sprint prep.

Anyway, it was his best display in the Tour.
That'll happen, it always does. He's normally most concentrated at the beginning of the Tour, but by stage 6 or 7 he begins to make mistakes and loses positions very easily.

Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
Alexandre B. said:
I'm afraid that in order to win a stage, Kittel has to mess up the sprint prep.

Anyway, it was his best display in the Tour.
That'll happen, it always does. He's normally most concentrated at the beginning of the Tour, but by stage 6 or 7 he begin some to make mistakes and loses positions very easily.
I agree. I think the only year where the dominant sprinter never messed up his lead-out was 2009. However, there is some serious competition for who steps up when Kittel/QS make a mistake.

It's becoming increasingly clear that Demare has stepped up a notch. When he won MSR, there was the Demare-Bouhani-Coquard debate...no more debate. It was Cavendish-Kittel-Greipel, then a second tier with Kristoff and DEgenkolb, maybe Sagan...Demare was on the next lower tier. Not anymore IMO.

Bravo Madiot! And Bravo Nono for the hard work. Recruiting alone doesn't explain the progress that took place. Not to take credit away from DC and GG. Today was a free for all. I jst re-watched the sprint for (probably) the tenth time. Strength, confidence, patience, and finally power as he went around Kittel.

The question is not (or no longer) if Arnaud can win a TdF stage against the best: it is when...

Tonton said:
It's becoming increasingly clear that Demare has stepped up a notch. When he won MSR, there was the Demare-Bouhani-Coquard debate...no more debate. It was Cavendish-Kittel-Greipel, then a second tier with Kristoff and DEgenkolb, maybe Sagan...Demare was on the next lower tier. Not anymore IMO.
I'm not convinced of any of that, really. He certainly can't be put in any tier above 2 or 3 with no GT wins. Kittel, Greipel, Cav, Ewan, Bouhanni, Gaviria, Kristoff, Sagan and Degenkolb all have multiple GT stage wins and even Coquard had as good a GT record as Démare before today.

He could certainly prove me wrong this Tour but I haven't seen anything from him yet to put him in the top tier of sprinters. Anyway, if ever it was the year for him to pick up a win, it's this one, with the number of sprint opportunities plus Cav possibly being off his game a bit - and before Gaviria and Ewan start coming to the Tour.

Before the Tour started I had been thinking about who I thought were the best sprinters who haven't won a GT stage and was thinking about starting a thread. Anyway, I came up with (before the Tdf start):

Nizzolo - 6 GTs, 9 2nds, 5 3rds
Coquard - 3 GTs, 2 2nds, 2 3rds
Démare - 4 GTs, 2 2nds, 2 3rds
Bennett - 3 GTs, 1 2nd, 3 3rds
Groenewegen - 1 GT, no podiums yet

Anyone else worth a mention?

I won't rub it in jaylew and portugal11...ooops, I just did :p .

The question wasn't if but when, and it was today. Hectic sprint, great win for Nono! Huge win!

Win and green jersey in Nacer's hometown, it doesn't get much better than that considering the relationship between the two.

Wow!!! It was worth the wait...

TRENDING THREADS