• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Arnaud Démare discussion thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He is more than just a pure sprinter. Very stylish on the cobbles. We need more sprints on the pavé.

Can Demare add another Monument? I'm not talking about Sanremo but Ronde or Roubaix? Something like the Dwars Flanders or Gent–Wevelgem is probably more likely.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
He is more than just a pure sprinter. Very stylish on the cobbles. We need more sprints on the pavé.

Can Demare add another Monument? I'm not talking about Sanremo but Ronde or Roubaix? Something like the Dwars Flanders or Gent–Wevelgem is probably more likely.
At the moment I can see him win a Roubaix à la Degenkolb, but his technique on the pave doesn't match the best yet.

Re:

Velolover2 said:

He can win GW without a doubt. Another monument, I don't know. I think PR suits him better but at the same time I simply think there are other riders who are better on cobbles. If however there is heavy headwind and a relatively passively ridden edition of PR he might have a chance

MSR, PR, RVV if raced conservative and he can stay in the mix late in the race. To me, he needs another monument to earn his spot as a great rider of his generation. And a couple of wins in KBK-caliber races. Demare is getting a little better every year, it seems. He'll need it when you see the young stars coming up, in addition to the "oldies", who are still very goodies :D .

Masterful win against top-notch opposition today. It's looking good for Nono, clearly one of the best sprinters in the World today. Kittel is still #1 until proven otherwise, but for #2, Demare can make his case. For sure, he's in that next to best tier with Gaviria, Sagan, and maybe a couple more like Groen and Ewan. Bravo Nono! Allez Nono!

Re:

Flamin said:
https://sporza.be/nl/2018/07/26/hln-journalist-zag-het-vanuit-bezemwagen-demare-speelde-niet-va/

Belgian journo from HLN followed the race in the broom wagon yesterday. He says he didn't see a single bidon collé, only a handful pushes from spectators, which is as common as it gets on climbs. That's it.

I genuinely hope he wins on Champs now to silence the haters :cool:

I don´t see a reason why Greipel would lie to the media. He also isn`t the only rider mentioning some fishy things going on. Maybe Demare did nothing wrong on the last stage but considering the rumors in the peleton and his history (MSR) I highly doubt that he survived the alps without any help from the team car.

Re: Re:

skippo12 said:
Flamin said:
https://sporza.be/nl/2018/07/26/hln-journalist-zag-het-vanuit-bezemwagen-demare-speelde-niet-va/

Belgian journo from HLN followed the race in the broom wagon yesterday. He says he didn't see a single bidon collé, only a handful pushes from spectators, which is as common as it gets on climbs. That's it.

I don´t see a reason why Greipel would lie to the media. He also isn`t the only rider mentioning some fishy things going on. Maybe Demare did nothing wrong on the last stage but considering the rumors in the peleton and his history (MSR) I highly doubt that he survived the alps without any help from the team car.

You think he's the only one to get help? Why single out Demare? If you do, come with some proper proof instead of wild accusations based on false information. It's sad. Even though I believe Greipel too when he says he saw fishy things in the Alps. But from multiple riders, not just Demare.

Re: Re:

Flamin said:
skippo12 said:
Flamin said:

You think he's the only one to get help? Why single out Demare? If you do, come with some proper proof instead of wild accusations based on false information. It's sad. Even though I believe Greipel too when he says he saw fishy things in the Alps. But from multiple riders, not just Demare.

He refused to mention names in the inital interview. Him singling out Demare seems to be based on the fact that Demare is clearly the worst climber among the remaining riders but somehow finishes inside the time limit even though he cannot follow the peleton on a false flat (2-3% gradient). Seems strange that a rider that is dropped on a cat 4 climb is able to limit his loses on a HC climb.

Demare lost 12:30 to Quintana, who was also over 3 minutes behind Kangert. French people pushing a french rider - that will always happen, i am not sure though if its really that big of an advantage (messes with your rhythm). Holding ono the car? Maybe, but than Greipel should at least have the balls to call it out directly if he witnessed it. This twitter data thing (even with an error in calculation) is rather passive aggressive.

"Demare's gap to the leader based on the tourtracker data"
https://twitter.com/velofacts/status/1022204078066163714/photo/1

Di-YXveX0AADs4B.jpg

TRENDING THREADS