• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Article-With 3 tainted TDF victories Alberto Contador: Champion or Poseur?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
With response to initial post:

About TDF 2007 - I agree that Ras should have won in 2007. However, if someone else had done it a shadow of Ras would follow him.

In 2008 Contador paid a price when Astana wasn't allowed to start. If he had started then Sastre wouldn't be able to do anything to Contador (see Giro and Vuelta wins of 2008).

Therefore, it was fair that Contador arrived in TDF 2009 as one time champion. Contador won TDF 2009 in a dominant style and there was no question who was the best.

This year Contador and Andy would have had an equal time in mountains if there was no mechanical; or Andy would have had a better time in mountains if his attack on Bales succeeded. Contador was better in ITT while Andy was better on cobbles which would mean a GC win for Andy if there was no mechanical.

However, Tour shouldn't be decided on cobbles (it has never been so in Tour's history). On the other hand, cobbles were on this year's route and everyone knew they are GC factor. If Andy had won then everybody would call him a "cobbles" guy.

But anyway, my opinion is that MJ shouldn't be attacked during mechanical problems and since everybody has race radios Contador knew what has happened. With his attack Contador sent a message that only a win by any means counts.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
guncha said:
with response to initial post:

About tdf 2007 - i agree that ras should have won in 2007. However, if someone else had done it a shadow of ras would follow him.

In 2008 contador paid a price when astana wasn't allowed to start. If he had started then sastre wouldn't be able to do anything to contador (see giro and vuelta wins of 2008).

Therefore, it was fair that contador arrived in tdf 2009 as one time champion. Contador won tdf 2009 in a dominant style and there was no question who was the best.

This year contador and andy would have had an equal time in mountains if there was no mechanical; or andy would have had a better time in mountains if his attack on bales succeeded. Contador was better in itt while andy was better on cobbles which would mean a gc win for andy if there was no mechanical.

However, tour shouldn't be decided on cobbles (it has never been so in tour's history). On the other hand, cobbles were on this year's route and everyone knew they are gc factor. If andy had won then everybody would call him a "cobbles" guy.

But anyway, my opinion is that mj shouldn't be attacked during mechanical problems and since everybody has race radios contador knew what has happened. With his attack contador sent a message that only a win by any means counts.

newsflash!! It wasn't a mechanical!

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
SilentAssassin said:
It was over the top.

I'm glad that was cleared up but still, he did attack on a mechanical. A true champion would want to beat their opponent without a mechanical error, and if you read the article, there are quite a few more arguments to sort out...like the one about Contador not winning a stage in this 2010 win...some thing that all the truly great champions do.

The guy has won 5 grand tours. How many riders have done that? That alone makes him great.

The OP actually manages to imply that Contador's implied doping was why Astana weren't allowed to start the 2008 Tour, which shows what we're dealing with here. Contador's implied doping is Puerto, which would have made it either the '06 or '07 Tours he couldn't start if they were that bothered. Astana couldn't start in 2008 because of Vino and Kashechkin in 2007.

And as for the racist comment, I'd be offended if it wasn't hilarious that they can't differentiate Latin American stereotypes from Spanish.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
guncha said:
With response to initial post:

About TDF 2007 - I agree that Ras should have won in 2007. However, if someone else had done it a shadow of Ras would follow him.

In 2008 Contador paid a price when Astana wasn't allowed to start. If he had started then Sastre wouldn't be able to do anything to Contador (see Giro and Vuelta wins of 2008).

Therefore, it was fair that Contador arrived in TDF 2009 as one time champion. Contador won TDF 2009 in a dominant style and there was no question who was the best.

This year Contador and Andy would have had an equal time in mountains if there was no mechanical; or Andy would have had a better time in mountains if his attack on Bales succeeded. Contador was better in ITT while Andy was better on cobbles which would mean a GC win for Andy if there was no mechanical.

However, Tour shouldn't be decided on cobbles (it has never been so in Tour's history). On the other hand, cobbles were on this year's route and everyone knew they are GC factor. If Andy had won then everybody would call him a "cobbles" guy.

But anyway, my opinion is that MJ shouldn't be attacked during mechanical problems and since everybody has race radios Contador knew what has happened. With his attack Contador sent a message that only a win by any means counts.

The fact is, we will never know what would have happened if AS' chain didn't slip. What was likely? AC rides AS' wheel to the finish. Then, maybe AC actually tries to get some time on the Tourmalet. Who knows..The only thing that we can say with no doubt is that AC was stronger in the prologue and TT. Other than the 0:39 seconds gained due to the slipped chain, the mountain stages were a draw: they both gained 10 seconds in a stage. Andy's time gain in the cobbles stage was more of being in the right place at the right time and not suffering a real mechanical like AC did.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
The OP actually manages to imply that Contador's implied doping was why Astana weren't allowed to start the 2008 Tour, which shows what we're dealing with here. Contador's implied doping is Puerto, which would have made it either the '06 or '07 Tours he couldn't start if they were that bothered..

Alberto and Vino and the Liberty Sequeros Team were banned from starting the 2006 TdF because Manolo their leader was caught meeting with Dr Fuentes shortly before the Tour began ooops.

Turns out Vino did not have a blood bag there after all...?

Alberto "won" the Tour in 2007 after Rasmussen's ouster.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Scirea said:
Alberto has 3 in a row, just to make it clear. If you don't start it doesn't count.

Don't stoop to the level of this thread. Of course Sastre's win counts.

Alberto has show brilliance on the road and and incredible acumen with his brain.

By taking the MJ in Arcalis in '09, he never let the Lance monster get started. Accepting losing time this year in Stage 3 vs. stopping and hoping for a mechanical same time was clearly the right choice.

Not launching an idiotic attack and throwing his chain should be given proper credit as well.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
sagard said:

Alberto has show brilliance on the road and and incredible acumen with his brain.

By taking the MJ in Arcalis in '09, he never let the Lance monster get started. Accepting losing time this year in Stage 3 vs. stopping and hoping for a mechanical same time was clearly the right choice.

Not launching an idiotic attack and throwing his chain should be given proper credit as well.

The attack wasn't idiotic, it was actually well timed and caught Contador off guard. Now the shifting foolishness, that was idiotic.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
La Pandera said:
The attack wasn't idiotic, it was actually well timed and caught Contador off guard. Now the shifting foolishness, that was idiotic.

Sure he caught AC off guard. What was he going to do though? I think Sanchez, AC, and Menchov could have made up 30-60 seconds on the decent had they wanted it.

Schleck had great legs, but couldn't make any decisive attacks due to AC's strength.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
sagard said:

He didn't say Sastre's win didn't count... He said AC has won the last 3 Tours he participated in. It's not his fault that he wasn't allowed to start in the Tour of 2008(And I'm glad he didn't, and I bet Contador was glad as well at the end of the season)

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Oh for god sake people

Lance is history, go cry over a river that Alberto not only won already 3 TDF's and is now almost halfway, but also won a Giro and Vuelta to boot, something dear Lance never tried or accomplished.

You do realize the only reason Contador tried the 2008 Giro and Vuelta is that his entire team was banned from the 2008 Tour for doping.

Something he of course never engaged in. No sir. Nuh-uh. No way. Couldn't have. Never.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
La Pandera said:
IT. WASN'T. A. MECHANICAL.

It was a shifting error.

What? he shifted from 4th to 3-1/2th and forgot he'd removed his 18.4-tooth cog to save 31 grams?

I didn't know SRAM ders could handle fractional gearing.

I gotta get me one of those.

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
He didn't say Sastre's win didn't count... He said AC has won the last 3 Tours he participated in. It's not his fault that he wasn't allowed to start in the Tour of 2008(And I'm glad he didn't, and I bet Contador was glad as well at the end of the season)

It was Contador's fault actually because he was linked to the spain doping scandal.

derailleur said:
You do realize the only reason Contador tried the 2008 Giro and Vuelta is that his entire team was banned from the 2008 Tour for doping.

Something he of course never engaged in. No sir. Nuh-uh. No way. Couldn't have. Never.

Contador was new to the team. The reason Astana was banned was because of the previous year's scandal with Vino and Kash.

Contador won the other two GTs that year. :)

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Contador was new to the team. The reason Astana was banned was because of the previous year's scandal with Vino and Kash.

Contador won the other two GTs that year. :)

You tell him Moose McKnuckles. I've only been following since 06'. Even noobs knew that one. People tend to forget that poor excuse of a prologue TT AS put in almost an eternity ago. Just on that hiccup alone, is where he lost the tour.

TRENDING THREADS