• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Article-With 3 tainted TDF victories Alberto Contador: Champion or Poseur?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Contador was new to the team. The reason Astana was banned was because of the previous year's scandal with Vino and Kash.

Contador won the other two GTs that year. :)

On 28 July 2007, Le Monde, citing what it claimed was an investigation file to which it had access, stated that Contador's name appeared in several documents found during Operación Puerto, a drug doping ring in Spain. Hey...Spain...isn't that Contador's home...:cool:

SilentAssassin said:
On 28 July 2007, Le Monde, citing what it claimed was an investigation file to which it had access, stated that Contador's name appeared in several documents found during Operación Puerto, a drug doping ring in Spain. Hey...Spain...isn't that Contador's home...:cool:

Sure doesn't do anything to change the 6 positive EPO tests that your boy had, so what is your point? That they all have to do something to keep in the game. Well no effin' schit.

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Sure doesn't do anything to change the 6 positive EPO tests that your boy had, so what is your point? That they all have to do something to keep in the game. Well no effin' schit.

Sorry but Menchov never tested positive for EPO. Link?

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
No I meant your other boy, Menchov so far as I know has only been mentioned in connection with the Austrian blood lab.

Eddy Merckx tested positive three times. Regardless, I still think he is one of the greatest legends in the sport.

Do you have a source for that Menchov connection? Doubt it.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
WonderLance said:
You are correct. the level of dumbness and delusion showed by the haters on this forum is extreme to the max. They refuse to accnoledge the greatness of lance who is proven to be cleen, while supporting riders who are severly tainted AND not as good as Lance.

Its like they want to celebrate those riders who just arnt good enough or something. I think they just hate excellence.

i'm gunna miss wonderlance when lance goes, histerical posts, OP has alot to learn about lance love

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
SilentAssassin said:
It was Contador's fault actually because he was linked to the spain doping scandal.

I think you all have it wrong. If you recall, ASO officials and team officials were still upset that JB and slickly signed Basso in 2006 or 2007--Basso later admitted that he had doped or at least planned to dope. On top of that, Astana was very linked to doping due to the previous TdF...And JB had won the 2007 TdF with Contador...There was a lot of envy and good reasons to use whatever excuse could be found to ban Astana in 2008.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
I give the fanboys about 3 months of histeria, then this forum will come back to normal, hopefully for a long time.

I have nothing against Finney, but I am starting to wish that he is not that good. It looks like these silly fanboys could just follow another American cyclist, since following a foreign cyclist or even a whole beutifull sport is not in their wishlist.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
SilentAssassin said:
I can take my car to the car wash and have Contador's family wash it for me..lol

It would be a xenophobic comment if you could really have enough brain to be something else than a silly troll. Anyway that is insulting and shows poor education and a complete lack of manners. That happens when a guy who is used to be merely a hooligan discovers cycling through the victories of an egocentric fellow citizen.

Your reference about the Spain-American war is also insulting, specially for those who died after being attacked by a foreign power without previous warning. Well, this reminds me of other recent wars and your belicist government, but this just a cycling forum.

Guys spreading hatred and racistic non-sense, should be banned. You should be banned, but anyway you will probably find another forum soon (bowling, NRA, who knows what...) now that your LA is out of cycling. Good luck.

khardung la said:
I give the fanboys about 3 months of histeria, then this forum will come back to normal, hopefully for a long time.

I have nothing against Finney, but I am starting to wish that he is not that good. It looks like these silly fanboys could just follow another American cyclist, since following a foreign cyclist or even a whole beutifull sport, is not in their wishlist.

I couldn't agree with you more... :rolleyes:

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
khardung la said:
It would be a xenophobic comment if you could really have enough brain to be something else than a silly troll. Anyway that is insulting and shows poor education and a complete lack of manners. That happens when a guy who is used to be merely a hooligan discovers cycling through the victories of an egocentric fellow citizen.

Your reference about the Spain-American war is also insulting, specially for those who died after being attacked by a foreign power without previous warning. Well, this reminds me of other recent wars and your belicist government, but this just a cycling forum.

Guys spreading hatred and racistic non-sense, should be banned. You should be banned, but anyway you will probably find another forum soon (bowling, NRA, who knows what...) now that your LA is out of cycling. Good luck.

I think we all discover cycling before even realizing it is a sport.

I never made a racist comment.

Only reason I watch the tour is because of Menchov. I was glad when LA lost time, that just meant Menchov would place higher. I don't hate LA like some here do however, and acknowledge his vast contribution to the sport, as he single handedly brought more interest to the sport of cycling than any other rider in history. That attention has it's negative drawbacks...but mostly positive since more attention means more money in the sport.

andy1234 said:
*** edited by mod **

Congratulations Contador on a fine win.
Congratulations Armstrong on a dominant career (until proved otherwise)

Well that certainly changes the tone of my original post......

So, effectively racist posts are allowed?
"I can take my car to the car wash and have Contador's family wash it for me..lol"
But my comments are not?

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
SilentAssassin said:
I think we all discover cycling before even realizing it is a sport.

I never made a racist comment.

Only reason I watch the tour is because of Menchov. I was glad when LA lost time, that just meant Menchov would place higher. I don't hate LA like some here do however, and acknowledge his vast contribution to the sport, as he single handedly brought more interest to the sport of cycling than any other rider in history. That attention has it's negative drawbacks...but mostly positive since more attention means more money in the sport.

really? then explain this:

SilentAssassin said:
I'm just a reporter, reporting this event :cool: I can take my car to the car wash and have Contador's family wash it for me..lol

May 13, 2009
Visit site
WonderLance said:
You are correct. the level of dumbness and delusion showed by the haters on this forum is extreme to the max. They refuse to accnoledge the greatness of lance who is proven to be cleen, while supporting riders who are severly tainted AND not as good as Lance.

Its like they want to celebrate those riders who just arnt good enough or something. I think they just hate excellence.

Spelling errors have been highlighted. Funny how you talk about "level of dumbness" with all these errors ..lol...and this was written by a native speaker, I presume. :eek:

SilentAssassin said:
Lance Armstrong for example, always won stages during his seven year reign as a TDF champion in dominating style, whether they were mountain stages, prologues, and time trials. In each tour victory he has shown great respect and sportsmanship to his rivals. Who can forget Armstrong waiting for Jan Ullrich after he crashed. He was the ultimate champion, sportsman, and respected the traditions of the TDF.

I wonder how Simeoni feels about this remark?

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Contador is boring

Enough of the typical forum garbage o.k? Spelling this grammar that who cares! Points are being made just discuss them.
Now Contador is boring 2 of his wins are among the smallest margins of victory in Tour history. One of seven riders never to win a stage and amerge victorious overall in the GC. It was a great Tour however but his victory was not. I dont believe he is a poseur but he is not as great of a rider as he thinks he is.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
I think AC is neither a champion nor a poseur. well, in terms of success, he is a champion, but the way he comes across as a person is not very championesque. AC a poseur? can`t remember anything he did or said that would make him a poseur. Seems a bit insecure sometimes, maybe that`s why he needs to take advantage of other peoples misfortune.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Dammit I fell for it!!

I saw "Article" in the title and foolishly assumed that the post linked to an actual article so I clicked on it . . .

. . . before reading the name of the thread starter.

Lesson learned, back in time out for me :eek:

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
the vagabond said:
dekker -tifosi:
You might want to get your facts straight.

Lance rode the Vuelta once - finished 4th ('98). He rode the Giro once - finished 12th.
He wasn't riding to win in either. 98 Vuelta was his first race back and he place fourth. He was in a position to challenge but I doubt he entered with an expectation of victory being on the cards. Giro in 2009 saw LA lose time from stage 5 onwards.

lso, the idea that tdeF would strip Lance of titles (as someone wrote) and not Pantani, Ulrich, and Riis is absurd. Riis has admitted doping in the 1996 Tour and has not been stripped. Merccx took drugs, Delgado doped, Anquetil
took drugs, Fignon took drugs. Get over it.
Riis admitted his doping and told them to collect the jersey, but it was more than 8 years since his win so they can't erase it from the record. Pantani's win is in the same boat as is Ullrich's. If it is shown that Postal had a doping system and LA was involved then they may have to act. 1999-2002 are safe but 2003-2005 aren't yet!

The Lance haters on this forum seem to me to be more delusional than the Lance lovers or apologists. And why homologous blood transfusions are any bigger sin than illegal stimulants or other forms of doping is beyond me. Lance won his tours, he was extensively tested, he was never sanctioned - just like all the riders before him.
Because his wins are post Festina and there are far too many questions needing answering before Landis's allegations are taken into account. Backdated TUEs, the 1999 EPO tests, the Ferrari links etc etc....

Where is the forum for Riis and Pantani haters? Oh, now I get it. They're not rich enough, they didn't win enough, and they're not Americans.
Riis makes me uncomfortable too, but he fessed up. Pantani is dead and it's just best to let him rest in peace. It's fot stuff all to do with LA being American. America has given a lot to be grateful for in cycling - Lemond, Pierce, Grewal, Phinney Sr, Twigg, Carpenter, Ochowitz, 7-11, Motorola, Johnny T, Madisons to name a few. I'll even include LA 1992-1994 too.