• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Astana, Pegasus sports not in ProTour!

A

Anonymous

the ten teams applying for one of eight spots (at the moment) are:

BMC RACING TEAM
COFIDIS
EUSKALTEL – EUSKADI
FDJ
GEOX – TMC
HTC – HIGHROAD
LIQUIGAS – CANNONDALE
LUXEMBOURG PRO CYCLING PROJECT
TELEFONICA MOVISTAR
VACANSOLEIL – DCM PROCYCLING TEAM

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
The one out of those that I think should not be included is the Luxembourg team, although I guess they will get a protour license

A

Anonymous

Apparently there is a problem with Astana's paperwork. All riders are free to leave the team as a result before the end of october.

via cyclingflash/cyclingfever

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
The one out of those that I think should not be included is the Luxembourg team

Why?

Anyways, Robbie McEwen thinks it's a mistake by the UCI ... if it really was then I'd fire the intern who typed up the list, pretty big mistake!!

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
Apparently there is a problem with Astana's paperwork. All riders are free to leave the team as a result before the end of october.

via cyclingflash/cyclingfever

that is really insane. That would mean the end of the Astana project. I wonder what Vino will do

@ christian, I believe first year teams should never be included in the protour, as they have not shown their sustainability

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
@ christian, I believe first year teams should never be included in the protour, as they have not shown their sustainability

I see your point and I agree! That's why I like how Katyusha did it. Plus the Luxembourg Project would likely get a wildcard for most races anyways with their line up

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:

are they? If cancellara turns up there, they seem to be more of a spin off of Saxo than a first year team:D

In order of their chances to get one of the spots.

HTC – HIGHROAD
LIQUIGAS – CANNONDALE
TELEFONICA MOVISTAR
FDJ
BMC RACING TEAM
COFIDIS
GEOX – TMC
EUSKALTEL – EUSKADI
VACANSOLEIL – DCM PROCYCLING TEAM[/QUOTE]

TeamSkyFans said:
I do believe that riders are free to go if Astana doesn't get a license. However, I also do believe that Astana will get time to sort things out with their application.

The Hitch said:

HTC – HIGHROAD
LIQUIGAS – CANNONDALE
TELEFONICA MOVISTAR
FDJ
BMC RACING TEAM
COFIDIS
GEOX – TMC
EUSKALTEL – EUSKADI
[/QUOTE]

I think the Luxembourg team is virtually guaranteed a spot because IMO Andy Schleck is the sports golden boy plus the virtual name change of the Saxo Bk squad to the Luxemboug team (by way of almost all the prominent names having jumped ship).

thehog said:
No mention of Saxo-Bank on either of the lists!

"Ten teams are already guaranteed ProTeam status in 2011, provided that no irregularities come to light before the end of the registration process on November 1 are: Ag2r, Katusha, Lampre ISD, Omega Pharma-Lotto, Quickstep, Rabobank, Sky, Garmin-Cervélo and RadioShack."

They forgot to put SBS in. There's only 9 teams there.

The Hitch said:

HTC – HIGHROAD
LIQUIGAS – CANNONDALE
TELEFONICA MOVISTAR
FDJ
BMC RACING TEAM
COFIDIS
GEOX – TMC
EUSKALTEL – EUSKADI

Really rate Cofidis that highly? I like them, but I'd say Vacansoleil miss out + Euskaltel or Cofidis.

Surprising news about Astana though. Every year, these announcements spring something in one way or another. Pegasus were never going to get in anyway.

luckyboy said:
"Ten teams are already guaranteed ProTeam status in 2011, provided that no irregularities come to light before the end of the registration process on November 1 are: Ag2r, Katusha, Lampre ISD, Omega Pharma-Lotto, Quickstep, Rabobank, Sky, Garmin-Cervélo and RadioShack."

Really rate Cofidis that highly? I like them, but I'd say Vacansoleil miss out + Euskaltel or Cofidis.

Surprising news about Astana though. Every year, these announcements spring something in one way or another. Pegasus were never going to get in anyway.

Radioshack should get in. After the season they had they have to get a ticket.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:

Exactly.
Hitch, Cofidis might have a good chance, but not a better chance than the Luxembourg project. Euskaltel will be safe, with Anton and Sanchez. If Ricco is busted and suspended Vacansoleil will be screwed.
My guess remains: Cofidis and Vacansoleil will miss out, but Cofidis and Europcar will get a TDF invite next year.

Wow... Astana. Damn! Loss of Alberto would obviously hurt the team. But complete implosion?

Don't know whether Pegasus should be promoted to ProTour immediately, and I personally don't think they'll get it based on what we've seen of them so far. From the confirmed squad they have so far I don't know whether they have the strength to merit the effective to all the big races in the year. Let them spend a year, maybe two, as a Pro-Continental squad and develop into a force that earns the spot on merit.

Either way, I imagine the 8 who get the licenses will be BMC, FDJ, Euskaltel, Geox, HTC, Liquigas, Movistar, and Team Luxembourg. So Vacansoleil and Cofidis miss out. If Astana do end up getting their act together I would guess the would stay in, possibly at the expense of Movistar.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:

Man, I guess someone really did screw up that list, so they may also just have forgotten Pegasus, like McEwen said. Who the heck works on these things??

Reason i rated Euskatel lowly was because i heard they were having problems.

reason i rated Cofidis so highly is because they are an old team. Been around a while.

And looking at the list of teams who did get PT i think list 2 - the teams competing for pt, is better.

Moondance said:
Either way, I imagine the 8 who get the licenses will be BMC, FDJ, Euskaltel, Geox, HTC, Liquigas, Movistar, and Team Luxembourg. So Vacansoleil and Cofidis miss out. If Astana do end up getting their act together I would guess the would stay in, possibly at the expense of Movistar.

I agree with that assessment except that I'd think if another team were bumped in favour of Astana, it'd definitely be Euskaltel (or even FDJ) before Movistar... are you kidding? They're one of the most solid teams in the peloton, there's no way they don't get in.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
Man, I guess someone really did screw up that list, so they may also just have forgotten Pegasus, like McEwen said. Who the heck works on these things??

UCI Press release....;

'Official information: Publication of the list of teams that have applied for registration with the UCI

Date:

Description:

Teams wishing to be registered in the first or second division for the 2011 season are required to submit an application file to the International Cycling Union. The UCI, in association with Ernst & Young, evaluates whether the teams are in compliance with the regulatory requirements, particularly in terms of their administration and finances.

In accordance with its regulations, the UCI is today publishing the list of teams that by 1st October 2010 had submitted an application file containing the following required documents:

* budget,
* the sponsorship contracts duly signed with the main partners,
* the bank guarantee,
* at least 12 contracts with riders duly signed by the two parties,
* for new teams only, a description of their structure together with a copy of the deed of incorporation of the paying agent.

The teams are:

UCI ProTeams (1st division) in possession of a UCI ProTeam licence for 2011

* AG2R – LA MONDIALE
* KATUSHA
* LAMPRE – ISD
* OMEGA PHARMA – LOTTO
* QUICKSTEP CYCLING TEAM
* RABOBANK CYCLING TEAM
* SAXO BANK SUNGARD
* SKY PROCYCLING
* TEAM GARMIN - CERVELO
* TEAM RADIOSHACK

Teams applying for a UCI ProTeam licence or requesting the renewal of a UCI ProTeam licence (1st division)

* BMC RACING TEAM
* COFIDIS
* EUSKALTEL – EUSKADI
* FDJ
* GEOX – TMC
* HTC – HIGHROAD
* LIQUIGAS – CANNONDALE
* LUXEMBOURG PRO CYCLING PROJECT
* TELEFONICA MOVISTAR
* VACANSOLEIL – DCM PROCYCLING TEAM

UCI Professional Continental Teams (2nd division)

* ANDALUCIA CAJA GRANADA
* ANDRONI GIOCATTOLI
* CAJA RURAL
* CCC POLSAT POLKOWICE
* COLNAGO – CSF INOX
* DE ROSA – CERAMICA FLAMINIA
* FARNESE VINI – NERI SOTTOLI
* LANDBOUWKREDIET
* NETAPP
* SAUR – SOJASUN
* SKIL – SHIMANO
* TOPSPORT VLAANDEREN – MERCATOR
* UNITED HEALTHCARE PRESENTED BY MAXXIS
* VERANDAS WILLEMS

This information is being published with a view to keeping all parties concerned informed about the progress of registration applications submitted by first and second division teams. The files will now undergo an in-depth evaluation, the results of which will determine the next step in the registration procedure:

* for the UCI ProTeams that already have a licence – and that figure among the top 15 teams from the sporting point of view -, the registration process will be completed by 1st November if no irregularities are brought to notice; files with non-conformities will be passed on to the Licence Commission (article 2.15.011 of the UCI Constitution and Regulations);
* candidates for a UCI ProTeam licence (first request or renewal request), will automatically have their files submitted to the Licence Commission;
* for UCI Professional Continental Teams, the registration process will be completed by 1st November if no irregularities are brought to notice.

UCI Communication Services'

The Hitch said:
Reason i rated Euskatel lowly was because i heard they were having problems.

reason i rated Cofidis so highly is because they are an old team. Been around a while.

And looking at the list of teams who did get PT i think list 2 - the teams competing for pt, is better.

I don't remember seeing the article, but I thought that Euskatel was just reducing their budget a bit this year, but otherwise were planning on still being a ProTour squad. While this may mean that they can't compete in everything like the Giro, they should still be very active and they did resign Sanchez. Based on this, I don't think that they should have to worry too much about getting a renewal.

Highlander said:
I don't remember seeing the article, but I thought that Euskatel was just reducing their budget a bit this year, but otherwise were planning on still being a ProTour squad. While this may mean that they can't compete in everything like the Giro, they should still be very active and they did resign Sanchez. Based on this, I don't think that they should have to worry too much about getting a renewal.

Sponsors had a change of heart; they were going to reduce funding and the team was going to have to find additional funding or risk stepping down a level; however good performances in the first half of the season (well, from April onwards) culminating in Sánchez coming 4th in the Tour (3rd?) led to them changing their mind and staying with the same sponsorship level.