• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Astana? What will happen?

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Let the strongest rider lead... Contador's leadership will be as strong as his legs...
Lance will be right there; he is fit and ready to take over if ASTANA needs a leader.
IMO, LA will support Contador and still make the podium.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Sounds about right to me. Why does anyone think Contador is happy with the current situation. He said at the start of all this, that he wasn't. I think he's just now being professional and biding his time.

Contador will NOT be riding for Bruyneel next year. You can take that to bank.

And yes, this is a problem for Astana. Find Levi's recent interview with Velonews. Doesn't sound like he thinks Contador is the leader. Levi's even laboring under the notion that he could win. LA has said he's there to win in the same interview. Screw his earlier comments about supporting Contador. LA's there to support LA.

I personally think Levi and Lance will work together. Not sure who'll support Contador on Astana. Might be pathetic to see them both dropped on major climbs though. Levi's incapable of responding to Contador's accelerations. LA we don't know about yet.

We could see some fun in the mountains. Suppose Contador puts in one of his attacks and drops LA. Who'd be surprised to see Levi pacing LA back to Contador?

Bruyneel's really screwed the pooch on this one. Losing Contador will be something he'll regret. And Bruyneel will be left without a tour contendor.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
greenjersey said:
Let the strongest rider lead... Contador's leadership will be as strong as his legs...
Lance will be right there; he is fit and ready to take over if ASTANA needs a leader.
IMO, LA will support Contador and still make the podium.

I"ll take that bet. LA WON"T support Contador. His half assed support of Levi was pathetic in the Giro. Remember, LA is all about LA. 24/7.

richwagmn said:
I"ll take that bet. LA WON"T support Contador. His half assed support of Levi was pathetic in the Giro. Remember, LA is all about LA. 24/7.

If Contador is finally acknowledged as the leader, Armstrong will make a few plays to be seen as supporting Contador. These plays, by pure coincidence, will only occur when the cameras are on him.

Contador should spend his free time hanging out in the Caisse team bus. They will likely give him more support than Astana will.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
If Contador is finally acknowledged as the leader, Armstrong will make a few plays to be seen as supporting Contador. These plays, by pure coincidence, will only occur when the cameras are on him.

Contador should spend his free time hanging out in the Caisse team bus. They will likely give him more support than Astana will.
You mean like the token support of Leipheimer :p

I think Contador will be a solo Astana rider, Noval & Paulinho will get left out.
Contador will be good enough to work off other teams work or off the back of the team supporting Armstrong, but will Contador attack Armstrong?
I hope Contador will run his own race and not be dictated to by Armstrong.

I reckon the side will be
Armstrong, Contador, Leipheimer, Kloden, Popovych, Zubeldia, Horner, Vaitkus, Brajkovic or Rast

Bagster

BANNED
Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:

LOL, What Giro were you watching! Armstrong supported Levi all the way through, even dropping back to support him on the climbs. Hate LA if you like, but internalise it, don't spout drivel in public

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Nike (epo, hGH, eHG, IFG-1, slin, potent analgesics, vasilodators, anabolic steroids, corticoids, cow blood, female hormones etc.)

LOL, sorry couldnt help it. :)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I think Contador is planing to attack on the stage to Andorra. He will try and put some time into Lance and finish off his challenge there and then. Long term Astana need Contador as who else do they have without him for Grand Tours ? Sure they can win loads of smaller races with the other rides but for GC of a Grand Tour the rest are the wrong side of 30

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
The media again. Why should Contador leave the team? Armstrong said that he want to make a new team next year, and not to ride for Astana.
Now about the Tour. After the Tour 2007, Giro, Vuelta 2008 there is anyone who think that Levi will not support Contador? To think about it is the biggest fail. And also there will be Klöden, Zubeldia, Popovych and they also know that there is not "just LA", or "just AC". They know that there is a team, and they will ride for that rider who will be the strongest. They are professional riders, and they have got a professional manager. Bruyneel can handle this situation, and as he said it that Contador will be the n1 rider, then he will be. When he cant go, then comes LL or LA. Armstrong was my favorite rider, but now he is an old man, and he is the past, and Contador is the future. Bruyneel knows that. Armstrong will be there to win the Mont Ventoux, and if he can one or two other stages, and at the end be in the top5. Only if AC cant go, then could LA ride for the 8th win.

Sorry for my english.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Garmin? The man who went from Saiz's doping program to a Bruyneel team is now going to Vaughters' Team Clean? I'll believe it when I see it.

OT, but it is something I have always wanted to ask, would you consider 'Chechu' Rubiera just as gulity since he rode for Kelme and won a Giro stage in 1997 and 2000? In 2001 he joined USPS and rode under Bruyneel ever since?

Nothing has been said against him (like doping) and has spoken out against it (seems like am intelligent guy).

Oh BTW David Walsh is BigBoat and I claim my 5 pounds :D

A

Anonymous

Trev_S said:
You mean like the token support of Leipheimer :p

I think Contador will be a solo Astana rider, Noval & Paulinho will get left out.
Contador will be good enough to work off other teams work or off the back of the team supporting Armstrong, but will Contador attack Armstrong?
I hope Contador will run his own race and not be dictated to by Armstrong.

I reckon the side will be
Armstrong, Contador, Leipheimer, Kloden, Popovych, Zubeldia, Horner, Vaitkus, Brajkovic or Rast

Levi was great in support of contador in 07.

I don't think we should be surprised to find AC may have had a plan B considering the uncertainty.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
What we aren't seeing here is the backroom discussions with Armstrong and Bruneyll, and then the Contador and Bruneyll conversations? If the Frankie IM was real then I can see something along the lines of Contador's fridge getting a bit to warm and clotting occuring.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Anyone read LA's twitter this morning. Seems the rumors about Contador and Garmin look like they have some truth.

Contador is gone from Bruyneel and Armstrong next year. Good job LA. You're all about you - 24/7.

A

Anonymous

richwagmn said:
Anyone read LA's twitter this morning. Seems the rumors about Contador and Garmin look like they have some truth.

Contador is gone from Bruyneel and Armstrong next year. Good job LA. You're all about you - 24/7.

his exact post for those without twitter

@lancearmstrong What do you make of this Lance? Any truth to it? in relation to this link>http://bicycling.com/blogs/boulderreport/2009/06/23/lances-team-in-turmoil/

"@stevedav Just read this. JL may not be far off on this (for once). I'm choosing 2 ignore and remove myself from drama. TdF - hard enough.."

pretty much confirms what we all already guessed..

i think the odds are ever shortening on contador failing a drug test during the tour..

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I still think we will be able to infer a lot from the picks to fill up the last slots of the team. Again, as a reminder, Contador's english is very poor.

Communication has been a problem for Menchov, when he moved to Rabobank. No one could ever guess what the "sfynx" was up to, he was unclear, and intransparant. Riders never knew what he wanted and how he wanted it. That makes it difficult for a team to fully put its weight behind the designated leader. Breukink (ONCE) was one of the people who did speak spanish, and could communicate with him. Most dutchies on the team couldn't.

If Contador does not get to take his buddies Noval and Paulinho on the team, it's the way the article says, he will be completely isolated. If he isn't proficient enough in english, how the heck is he going to order the boss around. I doubt he would have dared to do that even if he had been born in Mile End or Bethnal Green!

When a leader falters, (like Menchov in 07) another one (has to) step(s) up to the plate (like Rasmussen 07)...

dimspace said:
one word...

Garmin? :eek:

If he thinks he's lonely now, wait until he joins Garmin...which I personally hope that he never does. They've been one of the most underachieving squads of the season. How would Vande Velde feel about going from team leader back to super domestique? I doubt they could afford him anyway unless they cut some payroll, like an underachieving Zabriskie, inspite of his US TT championship.

TRENDING THREADS