• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

At what point do you turn off the TV and give up on the Tour?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Magnus said:
But still they failed to achieve a mass sprint on one occurrence in the 2010 TdF.

That was because of a climb near the finish and also because VINO. That's the kind of flat stage I like, because it could have been a sprint, and nearly was, but the climb was just tough enough to have sprint trains off their guard and having to reorganise again after the climb, and just close enough to the finish to tempt attackers.

Libertine Seguros said:
That was because of a climb near the finish and also because VINO. That's the kind of flat stage I like, because it could have been a sprint, and nearly was, but the climb was just tough enough to have sprint trains off their guard and having to reorganise again after the climb, and just close enough to the finish to tempt attackers.

I love this kind of stages. Even if sprinters teams manage to reorganize there's so much excitment added to the race.

Every year, I continue to be enchanted and enthralled by this astonishing race. It's more than just the racing. It's a piece of theatre on the grandest and most beautiful scale.

I guess it's just too populist for some. Or maybe you just prefer your sport to be a little more instantly gratifying. Go watch the Premier League, or something. No stamina, some people.

Vive le Tour!

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:

Yes that was definitely down to the Vino factor. Imo HTC's presence made Vino's victory much more impressive. That's the good thing about dominating teams. There is no light of there is no darkness. And the darker the dark the brighter the light seems.

King Of The Wolds said:
Every year, I continue to be enchanted and enthralled by this astonishing race. It's more than just the racing. It's a piece of theatre on the grandest and most beautiful scale.

I guess it's just too populist for some. Or maybe you just prefer your sport to be a little more instantly gratifying. Go watch the Premier League, or something. No stamina, some people.

Vive le Tour!

Nope we just expect that the second Sunday of the f-ing race has a par cours worth watching. And no it isn't more than just racing for those who really care to watch bike racing. In any case if you want a piece of theater on the grandest and most beautiful scale than go to Italy.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
i'd still watch it so turning off the tv is at the moment out of the question.

still...it'd be better to let these guys come back:

saiz_tve.jpg

416582858_0ff7ee1398_o.jpg

too bad for today's stage because the tour was great until today...which was one of the most dreadful stages since a long time

What makes you think they are not still part of the equation?

rhubroma said:
In any case if you want a piece of theater on the grandest and most beautiful scale than go to Italy.

I spent 2 years in Italy. Beautiful country, absolutely love the place. But it's not just the geography either. There's something about France in July, what Le Tour means to the people, what Le Tour means to the riders, the huge crowds, the traditions, the atmosphere, the fact you've got the best riders in their best form, all desperate for success.

King Of The Wolds said:
I spent 2 years in Italy. Beautiful country, absolutely love the place. But it's not just the geography either. There's something about France in July, what Le Tour means to the people, what Le Tour means to the riders, the huge crowds, the traditions, the atmosphere, the fact you've got the best riders in their best form, all desperate for success.

Then it should have a par cours befitting of the myth. As I said before, and I appreaciate the romanticism of your sentiments, however, watching the event for the simple kultur of it has its limits for those passionate about the agonistic aspect of racing. I think with today's stage those limits were dreadfully, if not mockingly (by the organizers), surpassed.

rhubroma said:
Then it should have a par cours befitting of the myth. As I said before, and I appreaciate the romanticism of your sentiments, however, watching the event for the simple kultur of it has its limits for those passionate about the agonistic aspect of racing. I think with today's stage those limits were dreadfully, if not mockingly (by the organizers), surpassed.

There was too much flat at the end of today's stage, I grant you. I think we're all in agreement on that. Still, we got to see a stirring performance from LLS, instead of Sagan routinely descending to victory.

rhubroma said:
Nope we just expect that the second Sunday of the f-ing race has a par cours worth watching. And no it isn't more than just racing for those who really care to watch bike racing. In any case if you want a piece of theater on the grandest and most beautiful scale than go to Italy.

Agreed. Weekend stages and prime TV viewership and what do we get? A pile of dung.

Maxiton said:
Stopped watching after Stage 7. Not sorry.

Im in such suspense I have no idea what might happen next week. I mean can Sky hang on? Hope so. It's been such a battle up till now. Never know what's about to happen next. It's such an arm wrestle between the top guns. Wiggins has such panache in his victories and stage wins. He has certainly set this race on fire with his flamboyant attacks.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Im in such suspense I have no idea what might happen next week. I mean can Sky hang on? Hope so. It's been such a battle up till now. Never know what's about to happen next. It's such an arm wrestle between the top guns. Wiggins has such panache in his victories and stage wins. He has certainly set this race on fire with his flamboyant attacks.

Cheer up! Anything can happen yet. Team SKY might be struck with a bout of simultaneous diarrhea on rest day. The race is still wide open!

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I haven't watched the bloody thing in days - actually about a week now. This is by far the most boring tour. Quite a lousy route :mad:

But the rolling stages might actually save it for being worse.

marioni said:
It's been poor and disappointing. Worst GT of recent years. Awful course. Where are the MTFs??? I'll still watch it till the end even if the winner was known when the race course was first announced.

But what I'm really looking for is Vuelta and proper mountain stages.
+1

Awful course. The director of the Tour is an idiot. He needs to learn to make Tours. The race at the beginning was boring because of Clinic reasons IMO. But I always hope for great battles in the mountains anyway. The problem is that the course design is terrible so in general this Tour is really bad. Some people say that the riders make the races, but the route designs can help in this department. If we play by probabilities I am sure we could have seen a good chance of an Evans attack today and a great battle in the first Pyrenean stage. Instead (without the punctures) we have to watch the group come together after many kilometers descending and on flat.

I used to watch at least the last hour of the race, but this year I only bother with the last 10k or even I wait for the highlights later on in the day......
That's how boring this TDF has been to me so far.

OTOH I'm glad the Tour of Poland is happening...

Don't hate the game- hate the players!!!

hfer07 said:
I used to watch at least the last hour of the race, but this year I only bother with the last 10k or even I wait for the highlights later on in the day......
That's how boring this TDF has been to me so far.

OTOH I'm glad the Tour of Poland is happening...

Don't hate the game- hate the players!!!

I think given the pacing of the race (flat stage and "mountain stage" with 40km of race-neutralising flat on the end being placed at weekends, for example) and the route (not enough mountains to really allow the time from the TT to be made up, nothing difficult enough to open up gaps in week 1 thus increasing the likelihood of crashes, meaning we'll probably just have Cancellara in yellow for a week followed by Wiggins in it for two), we can be justified in complaining about both the players AND the game in this instance.

Libertine Seguros said:
I think given the pacing of the race (flat stage and "mountain stage" with 40km of race-neutralising flat on the end being placed at weekends, for example) and the route (not enough mountains to really allow the time from the TT to be made up, nothing difficult enough to open up gaps in week 1 thus increasing the likelihood of crashes, meaning we'll probably just have Cancellara in yellow for a week followed by Wiggins in it for two), we can be justified in complaining about both the players AND the game in this instance.

Correct. Today there's was no incentive for an attack over he final climb. What would be the point? In fact you'd be worse off for doing it.