• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Australian Taxpayers revolt: Time to go Tomo!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Australian Taxpayers revolt: Time to go Tomo!

I understand that Tomalaris has done and continues to do a lot for Australian Cycling but his commentary and hosting is becoming much beyond bareable. It is a disgrace and has been throughout the tour.

SBS is a partially Government funded Network and I believe it is time we stopped paying for his ****!

I may be coming across a bit strong but he has really ****ed me off in the past week. He and SBS are more than happy to use Cadel's success as a way to make money, ratings, attention to the sport etc but when Cadel does badly, he kicks him while he is down and uses him for when it is convenient. I have had a gutful!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
whambulance.jpg

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Thanks for the trolling!:rolleyes:

It's not trolling - I'm simply making a point.

You're crying because your boy Cuddles lost and lost badly. Don't blame a guy with a microphone, blame the guy on the bike.

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm an aussie and fan of Cadel (for his determination and spirit at last years TDF and the first couple of weeks of this years) but I agree with Apollonius. SBS coverage is very good - a few inopportune ad breaks aside - and when you consider we have had live coverage of 3 monuments; the giro; tour and coming up the vuelta all on free to air TV I don't think we should be complaining! Sure at times Tomo says some stupid things but talking on live TV unscripted is much harder than ppl realise. I'm sure if you (or anyone else) had to talk for 5-10 minutes in between uncertain live crosses and sometimes tactiturn co-commentators you'd also be prone to the odd inanity. If one of the ex pros like scotty sunderland could step up to present they would. Fact is that they couldn't. If you think Tomo is bad imagine if we had to endure 'the tanman' for 10mins at the end of each stage.. His shameful podcasts uncover just how poor his cycling knowledge is and what a posing pouncy ****er he is. At least Tomo isn't that!

Apollonius said:
It's not trolling - I'm simply making a point.

You're crying because your boy Cuddles lost and lost badly. Don't blame a guy with a microphone, blame the guy on the bike.

Would have been more effective if you'd said "Blame the guy on the bike, not the guy on the mic."

Rhyming always a good choice.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Tomo is ok in small doses ... remember we want to keep cycling on SBS unlike the farce that was the tour down under coverage on channel nine ...... please, please dont wish the Tan Man upon us .... I turn channels or fast forward when i know he's coming on ....... the pick of the bunch is clearly Matt Keenan ..... but be careful what you wish for ...... I do agree however that his comments re Cadel and ditching the Tour for the Giro etc were ill timed.

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I think on balance the SBS coverage is outstanding. There are things that could be improved (timing of ad breaks has improved but sometimes still jars), and sure, Tommo makes he's goof ups, and I'm definitely no 'Tan Man' fan. But McKenzie and Kate Bates do a great job. And the fact that EVERY stage is now live is something to be treasured.

I think it's important to remember who the audience is. If SBS is getting 100,000s of viewers, 1m+ sometimes a night (?), we all know despite the burgeoning popularity of cycling in Australia that many (most?) of those aren't watching aren't year round cycling fans, but are instead Tour de France fans, and if you're the SBS executive producer, you need to put together a show that appeals across both demographics (hence Gabriel Gate). It is a tough ask.

Further, can you imagine the butchering one of the commercial networks would do if they got their hands on it!?

Also, the Tour Tracker has been fabulous when they've started coverage earlier than the TV coverage. Wish they did that every stage.

Re Phil and Paul, I'm not sure SBS get's much choice there, but hat's off again to Matty Keenan.

So overall, this Australian taxpayer is very happy with SBS's coverage of the Tour. Good job guys.

Yes in the old days we used a get a highlights package on Channel Nine over three weeks or so on Saturday afternoon's Wide World of Sport. Good at the time but nothing like this. I just hope that SBS hold onto the race, would hate to see it go to another channel. Think they are signed up till 2016. May it continue. The trade off is Tomo and Tan, but you can't have everything. Tomo is not too bad and Tan has the knowledge, just does not know how to deliver it.

waitforme said:
I think on balance the SBS coverage is outstanding. There are things that could be improved (timing of ad breaks has improved but sometimes still jars), and sure, Tommo makes he's goof ups, and I'm definitely no 'Tan Man' fan. But McKenzie and Kate Bates do a great job. And the fact that EVERY stage is now live is something to be treasured.

I think it's important to remember who the audience is. If SBS is getting 100,000s of viewers, 1m+ sometimes a night (?), we all know despite the burgeoning popularity of cycling in Australia that many (most?) of those aren't watching aren't year round cycling fans, but are instead Tour de France fans, and if you're the SBS executive producer, you need to put together a show that appeals across both demographics (hence Gabriel Gate). It is a tough ask.

Further, can you imagine the butchering one of the commercial networks would do if they got their hands on it!?

Also, the Tour Tracker has been fabulous when they've started coverage earlier than the TV coverage. Wish they did that every stage.

Re Phil and Paul, I'm not sure SBS get's much choice there, but hat's off again to Matty Keenan.

So overall, this Australian taxpayer is very happy with SBS's coverage of the Tour. Good job guys.

I agree with all of the above, good job overall, like Mackenzie and Kate Bates also, I enjoy the behind the scenes stuff as well.

Tomo is fine, makes a few mistakes, but is geniuine and continues to have my support.

Hugh

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
hughmoore said:
I agree with all of the above, good job overall, like Mackenzie and Kate Bates also, I enjoy the behind the scenes stuff as well.

Tomo is fine, makes a few mistakes, but is geniuine and continues to have my support.

Hugh
Cycling on SBS is excellent in terms of the races and their coverage. Trying to watch anything other than the Tour in the UK verges on the futile.

The SBS presenters are a mixed bunch imo:

- Perhaps unsurprisingly the ex-pros seem the most insightful as well as being the most balanced.
- Tomo seems to have gone from Cadel being the next coming to making it sound like he should be thrown on the scrapheap (which Cadel does not deserve).
- Don't really like Rupert Guinness but can't really explain why just one of those things.
- And, of course, the Tan-Man is... well, the Tan-Man. He should not be on TV yet I find myself hoping he will make a guest appearance. Car-crash TV I guess.

Aug 30, 2009
Visit site
Rofl ease up turbo, SBS rocks, cycling coverage is on the up and up.

Tomo is simply the host of the coverage, he barely commentates anything just pre and post stage analysis/introduces someone else that does it. For coverage that can go for over 4 hours, a small price to pay for you to enjoy cycling!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
NickBVK said:
Rofl ease up turbo, SBS rocks, cycling coverage is on the up and up.

Tomo is simply the host of the coverage, he barely commentates anything just pre and post stage analysis/introduces someone else that does it. For coverage that can go for over 4 hours, a small price to pay for you to enjoy cycling!

Maybe I was a little hasty but the calls that Cadel's career was over which was said multiple times by Tomo shows how naive and stupid he really is.

SBS is bringing on more and more cycling, but I find it hard to warm to Mike.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Tomo is enthusiastic and competent as a studio host type commentator. He just sometimes forgets that he is not a cycling expert. Mackenzie sometimes seems to wince at what Tomo is saying which is quite amusing.

Tomo's also needs to work on his pronunciation of French place names - he has the most ocker speech of any SBS presenter!

auscyclefan94 said:
Maybe I was a little hasty but the calls that Cadel's career was over which was said multiple times by Tomo shows how naive and stupid he really is.

SBS is bringing on more and more cycling, but I find it hard to warm to Mike.

Yes he does say some stupid things on the spur of the moment but I think I have become used to it and can overlook it. Overall SBS is doing well. It would be good if they could get the views of some of the other writers and commentators like they used to. Some of the English journalists and the Europeans that have been following the race for years, have some interesting things to say during the race. I don't always agree with Rendell and Fotheringham but they usually have something interesting to say.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Don't be late Pedro said:
Hopefully, they will replace him with the charismatic and knowledgeable Anthony Tan.
I hate to say this but Tan is a little better this year (don take that as an endorsement however). I was cackling with glee the other day when he completely disagreed and smacked down on one of Tomo´s particularly clueless statements.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Tomo doesn't bother me to be honest.
He's on at the end of the TdF live stages for 10 minutes, and then usually does his bit on Cycling Central. No biggie. It's not like he's doing the live race coverage.

I for one am just glad we in Australia get live free coverage of Giro, TdF etc...

It could be worse - much worse - channel 9 gets it, put's some complete spanner like Ken Suthcliffe on there, and we 15 mins of coverage and 4 hours or commercials.

Speaking of commercials tho - what's with all the erection medication ads during the tour. Are they implying cyclists are soft c**ks? lol