• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Baloise Belgium Tour 2021 (June 9-13)

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Still, no need for that. They've been guiding riders like that at the end of stages forever.
Even in normal times, to be pushed and hanged over by a stupid "bodyguard" after an extremely strenuous exercise in the heat, is not done. If it had been Cadel Evans, he got his fist on his nose, rightly so. And, maybe unknown to you. But in Belgium, and in some other regions in the world, there is a little virus going around. I think it's called Covid 19. But you probably unknown. Riders are only allowed to have contact with teammates competing in the same race, and teamstaff from their bubble. They are tested every day. Being touched and embraced by a stranger, is not even inappropriate, but forbidden in coronatimes.

Reactions: hayneplane
Trolling for giving an opinion? This forum has taken another sad turn if one has to get in line behind boy wonder. Now, where's that Dawson's Creek meme.
Clearly you don't know the difference between giving an opinion and repeatedly stating something as fact, of which you have been informed and proven to be wrong. Stating 55 seconds of 110 seconds is "almost all" of it, is not an opinion, it is factually incorrect to the point of flat out lying to fit your agenda.

Last edited:
Lol. Hardly need to be good at ITT to win a GT these days. Middle of the pack to mediocre seems just about fine. And he is way more than that. Losing weight enough for high long climbs would be the big one.
I think it's more an indication of being able to become a high enough level climber if he slims down than strictly needing the ITTs to gain time or not. Every GC rider that was originally too heavy was originally a great ITTer.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Anyone have commentary on the stage tomorrow? Kinda weird putting the Muur near the beginning, but there are some hills at the end.

Predictions? Anyone in a position to try and take out the GC? Or teams just gonna go for stage wins.
I can understand they don't want to put the Mur de Huy at the very end, but this makes no sense either. I think best option would have been to put it somewhere 40-30k from the finish, to open up the final with some attacking riders, both for GC as well as for the stage. But this seems more like a political decision more than anything else.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I can understand they don't want to put the Mur de Huy at the very end, but this makes no sense either. I think best option would have been to put it somewhere 40-30k from the finish, to open up the final with some attacking riders, both for GC as well as for the stage. But this seems more like a political decision more than anything else.
Agreed, at the end it stifles the race, even 10k from the finish would be better, but yes. By politics you mean the "which town gets the stage finish" kind of thing?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Lol. Hardly need to be good at ITT to win a GT these days. Middle of the pack to mediocre seems just about fine. And he is way more than that. Losing weight enough for high long climbs would be the big one.

How much weight does he need to loose? currently his weight is to high to follow in Amstel gold race where his exsplosiveness is still helpful. I see he is currently rated at 75kg, not sure if that is true. To be competitive in the mountains he would need to loose more than 5kg. Doubt he will be the same person you think he is now. They guy is amazing at what he does because his body is made for that. It is not made for GC, and him attempting that will make him fail on everything. He relies on his explosiveness and his recuperation of those explosive actions for almost everything and that is what makes him dominate.

Even in normal times, to be pushed and hanged over by a stupid "bodyguard" after an extremely strenuous exercise in the heat, is not done. If it had been Cadel Evans, he got his fist on his nose, rightly so. And, maybe unknown to you. But in Belgium, and in some other regions in the world, there is a little virus going around. I think it's called Covid 19. But you probably unknown. Riders are only allowed to have contact with teammates competing in the same race, and teamstaff from their bubble. They are tested every day. Being touched and embraced by a stranger, is not even inappropriate, but forbidden in coronatimes.
What a ridiculous post. Not a single thing here worthy of responding to

Ewen is one of my favorite riders right now, always gracious in victory, too.

Looking at his physique, he should be a wrestler.

Well, yeah, Ewan is stocky and fairly muscled...

for a cyclist.

DSC_0481.jpg

hi-res-82494720_crop_north.jpg

Well actually, I've been saying this for a few years now.
If he loses some weight, he could be a serious GT contender. It would obviously cost him some punch to become a better climber.

I'm not alone in this, his grandfather Poulidor considered him a potential TdF winner.
Van Aert i could see making such a transformation (Wiggins style), van der Poel, not so much. His strengths aren't long sustained efforts, but a sequence of short bursts. he's already +/-4 kg lighter than van Aert, and still a worse climber (on long climbs). What his grandfather said is completely irrelevant. Family usually isn't exactly impartial when it comes to such things. I'm sure most of our mothers thought we could become president of the world if we set our minds to it.

Reactions: Big Doopie