• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bardet & Pinot: The Great French Hope(s)

9jSQ3n6uq8OQ-romain-bardet-ag2r-la-mondiale.jpg

Romain Bardet, 23
1.85 m / 6' 1"
67 kg / 148 lbs
2013 Tour: 15th

Thibaut-Pinot.jpg

Thibaut Pinot, 24
1.80 m / 5' 11"
63 kg / 139 lbs
2013 Tour: 10th [EDIT: WD in 2013, but finished 10th in 2012. Thanks for catching that, Hugo. :)]

They're young, they're French, and they're giving us something to watch besides the Nibali parade at the Tour this year. They also show more GC promise than Rolland (who we can all agree has turned into a truly exciting GT animator), with impressive results in one-day, stage, and grand tour events.

With Froome and Contador in the race, they'd probably both be top-ten material, but circumstances have given one or both of them the chance to actually podium. We can only assume that the French housewives are already jumping queue from the Tommy V bandwagon--let's follow suit!

They are both really entertaining to watch, so yeah, let's celebrate them. The Great French Hopes. Not that either of them will ever win the French tour, but we might expect a great show between them for the podium. Aggressive climbers both, and that's worth quite a lot.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Pinot's looked a lot better in the time trial this year as well. Could help him nab a podium spot over the less chrono-inclined Bardet.

I thought Bardet was more of a hilly classics rider but he has really impressed me this Tour.
Today's stage showed that he can make it on really long mountains more suited to the Diesel's.

Pinot was always a great climber, the doubt was about his descending ability.

Should be Tour podium material for years' to come.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Pinot was awesome today...
Bardet got talent oozing from all pores...
Old J-C Peraud in top-10...
Even Gadret is still alive and putting the hurt on...
Great victory by Kadri a few days ago...

Really happy for the French that they are finally doing so well again at the Tour. Now a victory by Demare or Coquard to top it off, and it would be a truly perfect Tour for them.

Then it's on to the Vuelta and the Warren Barguil show!

May 26, 2009
Visit site
the asian said:
I thought Bardet was more of a hilly classics rider but he has really impressed me this Tour.
Today's stage showed that he can make it on really long mountains more suited to the Diesel's.

Pinot was always a great climber, the doubt was about his descending ability.

Should be Tour podium material for years' to come.

Not if he signs with Sky, unless Sky are planning to get rid of some of their GC guys.

Christian said:
Pinot was awesome today...
Bardet got talent oozing from all pores...
Old J-C Peraud in top-10...
Even Gadret is still alive and putting the hurt on...
Great victory by Kadri a few days ago...

Really happy for the French that they are finally doing so well again at the Tour. Now a victory by Demare or Coquard to top it off, and it would be a truly perfect Tour for them.

Then it's on to the Vuelta and the Warren Barguil show!

All that and you didn't mention Tony Gallopin? Shame on you.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
cineteq said:
Watched Pinot & Bardet's interviews today. Pinot was all over the place, Bardet was short and clear. Guess who has more chance of being the The Great French Hope?

Yeh it's Bardet all the way. Looked so in the zone today.

To be honest I had written Pinot off last year so really thrilled he has got it back together.

As mentioned in another thread, i sincerely hope we see a Frenchman on the podium this year.

I hope it's Bardet :)

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
manafana said:
both got great talents surely a vuelta or giro in them if they go for it.

I agree! Sadly, the expectations set on them by french media will likely make them TdF regulars, which SUCKS. I can see both excelling in the Giro especially.

Fight.The.Power said:
Yeh it's Bardet all the way. Looked so in the zone today.

To be honest I had written Pinot off last year so really thrilled he has got it back together.

As mentioned in another thread, i sincerely hope we see a Frenchman on the podium this year.

I hope it's Bardet :)

Me too. I am becoming more and more a fan.

I've inexplicably become a big fan of Pinot.
A little off topic but I'm delighted to see JC Peraud riding well. He'll smash the TT on this form.
Also, what the hell's happened to Warren Barguil this year? I've barely even noticed him. Presumably he'll ride the Vuelta, anyone get any expectations for him?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
alspacka said:
Also, what the hell's happened to Warren Barguil this year? I've barely even noticed him. Presumably he'll ride the Vuelta, anyone get any expectations for him?

He's had a few decent rides; 9th overall at the Volta, 8th at Strade Bianche, I remember seeing him in a few other breakaways and doing some good rides.

He wanted to do the Tour this year but Giant didn't select him for the team. Will probably do the Vuelta, so watch for him there.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Very happy to see Pinot making a comeback after the problems he had with descending.

And Bardet, I liked him before, but I'm starting to like him more and more. Hope he can hold onto his podium spot. Think that would be pretty cool to see him make the podium.

TRENDING THREADS