Best and Worst National Champs jerseys

Page 62 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
2017 Austrian RR NC jersey, made (very) quickly by Bora:

It looks like they have it already made before the competition (expecting one of their guys to win), as it was used during the medal ceremony right after the race.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
0
0
Re:

luckyboy said:
Anything will be better than what Blythe wore. Every piece of clothing white with stripes on, plus some terrible custom shoes. Like Cipollini's Worlds kit, except he is not Cipollini..
Well, Cipo is one of his Idols, that explains a lot. :D
 
Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
wouterkaas said:
At least we can have some influence on Cumming's kit:
https://twitter.com/StevoCummings/status/879056183335821312
Isn't the British Federation pretty conservative with how they want the jersey to look? Same reason they (luckily) didn't allow Movistar to do that nonsense with Dowsett's ITT suit.
Yep, but Cummings is asking for shorts advice and the British federation has no input on those.
 
Jun 27, 2013
5,210
2
0
Re:

staubsauger said:
I repeat my offense every year, because it's true. The British champ jersey is so ugly the Movistar attempt including the Union Jack actually would be an improvement to that useless tricolore mess.
Absolutely. The british jersey is really bad.
 
Re:

*** the quick said:
2017 Austrian RR NC jersey, made (very) quickly by Bora:

It looks like they have it already made before the competition (expecting one of their guys to win), as it was used during the medal ceremony right after the race.
Also Astana had a custom jersey on the podium in Kazakhstan.

 
Jun 27, 2013
5,210
2
0
Re:

RedheadDane said:
If Movistar had their way it would probably just be three tiny stripes on a tiny part of the chest...
Only if their biggest star was british.

They're very open about the fact that they only do the small flag thing on jerseys for their star riders, because in the past they've had problems with sponsors threatening to pull out over the colors/logos not being visible.

They did it in the early 90s with Indurain and they do it now with Valverde. No change there.

Until 2017. When Telefonica demanded they do the same with the spanish jersey regardless who was wearing it.
 
Re: Re:

GuyIncognito said:
RedheadDane said:
If Movistar had their way it would probably just be three tiny stripes on a tiny part of the chest...
Only if their biggest star was british.

They're very open about the fact that they only do the small flag thing on jerseys for their star riders, because in the past they've had problems with sponsors threatening to pull out over the colors/logos not being visible.

They did it in the early 90s with Indurain and they do it now with Valverde. No change there.

Until 2017. When Telefonica demanded they do the same with the spanish jersey regardless who was wearing it.
With Caisse d'Epargne that was certainly the case, since from Purito on everybody - LuLu, Plaza, Gutiérrez - got the flying fireball Spanish kit except Valverde's 08 kit, but since Movistar took over everybody's had the crappy designs, no matter how big the star. Gutiérrez, Rojas, Ventoso, Herrada, Izagirre, Valverde, all have had fairly minimal national designs.

Back in the Banesto days they did try a more interesting British jersey, for Jeremy Hunt.



Edit: here's a better view that also shows you Chava's national jersey, showing how they differentiated it - or didn't - from the rest of the team at the time.

 
Jun 27, 2013
5,210
2
0
Re: Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
GuyIncognito said:
RedheadDane said:
If Movistar had their way it would probably just be three tiny stripes on a tiny part of the chest...
Only if their biggest star was british.

They're very open about the fact that they only do the small flag thing on jerseys for their star riders, because in the past they've had problems with sponsors threatening to pull out over the colors/logos not being visible.

They did it in the early 90s with Indurain and they do it now with Valverde. No change there.

Until 2017. When Telefonica demanded they do the same with the spanish jersey regardless who was wearing it.
With Caisse d'Epargne that was certainly the case, since from Purito on everybody - LuLu, Plaza, Gutiérrez - got the flying fireball Spanish kit except Valverde's 08 kit, but since Movistar took over everybody's had the crappy designs, no matter how big the star. Gutiérrez, Rojas, Ventoso, Herrada, Izagirre, Valverde, all have had fairly minimal national designs.

Back in the Banesto days they did try a more interesting British jersey, for Jeremy Hunt.
I don't see the difference between Hunt's and this
or this or even this. It's the union jack instead of three bands, but it's otherwise a normal jersey.

I only see it being toned down with Indurain and Valverde in several cases

edit: reading your edit, i agree Chava's is a step off the norm
 
Re: Re:

GuyIncognito said:
RedheadDane said:
If Movistar had their way it would probably just be three tiny stripes on a tiny part of the chest...
Only if their biggest star was british.

They're very open about the fact that they only do the small flag thing on jerseys for their star riders, because in the past they've had problems with sponsors threatening to pull out over the colors/logos not being visible.

They did it in the early 90s with Indurain and they do it now with Valverde. No change there.

Until 2017. When Telefonica demanded they do the same with the spanish jersey regardless who was wearing it.
I've never understand that logic.
You've got a national champion; SHOUT IT TO THE WORLD!
Then again; Movistar pretty much always got the Spanish champion, but then at least let him enjoy it, especially if it's a "smaller" guy.
 
Confirmed by Sunweb that they will rape the Dutch national jersey and turn it into a Movistar monstrosity. They think its "professional" and "going with the times".

But, im withholding setting their HQ on fire before I see the final product.
 
Re:

classicomano said:
Confirmed by Sunweb that they will rape the Dutch national jersey and turn it into a Movistar monstrosity. They think its "professional" and "going with the times".

But, im withholding setting their HQ on fire before I see the final product.
Did you expect something else from a German team ;)
 
Re:

classicomano said:
Confirmed by Sunweb that they will rape the Dutch national jersey and turn it into a Movistar monstrosity. They think its "professional" and "going with the times".

But, im withholding setting their HQ on fire before I see the final product.
Oh god...

Say hi from me when you lit it up.
 
Dec 18, 2012
167
0
0
Re:

classicomano said:
Confirmed by Sunweb that they will rape the Dutch national jersey and turn it into a Movistar monstrosity. They think its "professional" and "going with the times".

But, im withholding setting their HQ on fire before I see the final product.
Here it is
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY