• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best and Worst National Champs jerseys

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
CasperVg said:
Boonen's new Belgium jersey:

boonen.jpg

Now that's how a national champion should look like. Take note Peter Sagan.

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Nat'l Jerseys MIA TdF

Spain: Movistar chose to go with JJ Rojas (***) instead of Ventoso 4 sprints
Belgium: Tom Boonen not riding this year. Resting the rest of the season 4 OR
Italy: Pellizoti from Pro-Conti Androni
France: Nacer not chosen by FdJ!!!
USA: Tim Duggan not chosen by Liquigas
UK: Iann Stannard not chosen by SKY
Netherlands: Nicki not chosen by OMEGA?!
Austria: Kohler not chosen by BMC
Ireland: Brammier not chosen by Omega
Colombia: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Denmark, Croacia,....Conti & Aqua&Sapone dudes

Spain - Rojas always rides the Tour, and since Movistar have some GC ambition this year there isn't room for more, sprint-wise.
Belgium - the Tour hasn't been kind to Tom in recent years.
Italy - Androni wouldn't get an invite to the Tour if Savio had compromising photos of Christian Prudhomme.
France - good question on this one. FDJ have two very quick and very talented young sprinters, neither riding. Strange.
USA - well, what did you expect? Duggan's some way down the hierarchy at Liqui, I'm afraid. Liqui also have a pretty well established Tour team - Szmyd will usually ride in support of the two leaders, Koren and Vanotti more or less always do the Tour (same as how Rabobank's Tour team invariably includes Grischa Niermann), then you throw in Sagan and Oss to help him out. That gives you 7 of your 9, and then it's an almighty scrap to get those last 2 spots.

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Libertine!

Well, I don't think that Valverde is a true Gral contender anyway for a three week race....Ventoso is a dude who could climb pretty well( Movistar should be looking Green, polka dots, white, Team)..........Boonen is in the best shape I've seen him for the last few years.....The Swiss race was won by a Conti dude, as well as Canada, I think. I agree that Tim isn't ready to make Liquigas' 9 men yet; That's my point.....in some countries (USA, SPAIN, UK,....) the Galactics just bypass the race. Excuses could always be found (need rest, parcours don't favor my' abilities, etc and They might be true) BUT: It's great to be dressed up wrapped in your country's colors. It gives you extra strenght, I guess. I know Mark is trying very hard, as World Champ, to honor the rainbow on it's own (well, not quite: EBH!!) but now it's even harder w/o the BieloRussian workhorse

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
WindLessBreeze said:

seriously, do your research before you post stuff. Why did you think Niki was going to the tour anyways? Last year he said he wasn't going to. This year he said he would solely concentrate on the Olympics so he did not want to do the tour. Nothing surprising at all...He chose not to go.

So you have the world champion in your team, and you decide you want him... to stand out less, by making national champ jerseys as similar to it as possible? Could anybody explain that to me?

By the way, at first I made a typo and wrote "hational champ jerseys". That one should stick.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
WindLessBreeze said:

Kohler comes from Switzerland, not Austria

May 3, 2010
Visit site
No Research!!

It:)´s a hobby, not a job. Just from top of my head. Not riding a three week race in order to concentrate on a one day race? Smart. Do they get paid by their trade teams or by their countries? Vagabundo´s DS

WindLessBreeze said:
Well, I don't think that Valverde is a true Gral contender anyway for a three week race....Ventoso is a dude who could climb pretty well( Movistar should be looking Green, polka dots, white, Team)..........Boonen is in the best shape I've seen him for the last few years.....The Swiss race was won by a Conti dude, as well as Canada, I think. I agree that Tim isn't ready to make Liquigas' 9 men yet; That's my point.....in some countries (USA, SPAIN, UK,....) the Galactics just bypass the race. Excuses could always be found (need rest, parcours don't favor my' abilities, etc and They might be true) BUT: It's great to be dressed up wrapped in your country's colors. It gives you extra strenght, I guess. I know Mark is trying very hard, as World Champ, to honor the rainbow on it's own (well, not quite: EBH!!) but now it's even harder w/o the BieloRussian workhorse
Ventoso can climb decently for a sprinter, but Rojas can climb better. Movistar are probably comfortable with knowing they can't compete in the purely flat stages, and consider Rojas the better option in the Sagan stages. Besides, Ventoso just did the Giro, while Rojas is fresher.

And while the jury is still out on post-suspension Valverde, as he has looked strong in early-season races, but Costa was stronger on a Tour de Suisse parcours that should have suited him and he was anonymous in the Ardennes, it is probably worth noting that you call him "not a true contender for a three week race", but the last time he entered one, he won.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
WindLessBreeze said:
It:)´s a hobby, not a job. Just from top of my head. Not riding a three week race in order to concentrate on a one day race? Smart. Do they get paid by their trade teams or by their countries? Vagabundo´s DS

What the hell? There's more to cycling than GTs.

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Libertine!

I too was a fan of Vitalicio*Seguros. I like the underdogs. On the other hand, it is unfortunately that JJ Rojas was injured, and Movistar don´t have a plan ´B´ for the sprints. Look: Cav rode a superb Giro, lost points jersey by just one to none other than Purito*Rod....And he´s is doing The Tour, will be the designated leader in London´s RR. I wish Valverde could do well, BUT::)When was the last time he rode and won a GT? as far as I know, he´s never won a GT!...

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
WindLessBreeze said:
I too was a fan of Vitalicio*Seguros. I like the underdogs. On the other hand, it is unfortunately that JJ Rojas was injured, and Movistar don´t have a plan ´B´ for the sprints. Look: Cav rode a superb Giro, lost points jersey by just one to none other than Purito*Rod....And he´s is doing The Tour, will be the designated leader in London´s RR. I wish Valverde could do well, BUT::)When was the last time he rode and won a GT? as far as I know, he´s never won a GT!...

Pardon? What about the 2009 Vuelta?

WindLessBreeze said:

I'm yet to undestand one of your posts.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
So you have the world champion in your team, and you decide you want him... to stand out less, by making national champ jerseys as similar to it as possible? Could anybody explain that to me?

By the way, at first I made a typo and wrote "hational champ jerseys". That one should stick.

National chump jerseys should stick.

TRENDING THREADS