• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best and Worst National Champs jerseys

Page 76 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

RedheadDane said:
Now, why on earth does Bagdonas have such a beautiful full-kit TT skinsuit, but a stupid little band for his RR jersey?

Yeah, that's really interesting to me that they have two different versions, although Lithuania is one of those countries like Austria that feels weird to me to have a full flag jersey instead of the bands on a white jersey. In fact, looking back, the only Lithuanian champion in the past almost 10 years to have a full flag jersey is Bagdonas himself at AG2R. I think we can all agree that either version is better than anything Movistar or UAE would do though :D

Dk5Eq7oW0AE4Bd_.jpg

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
wouterkaas said:
Dylan van Baarle's new Dutch champion TT skinsuit:
Dkjc-ZKXsAAWfWk.jpg

Looks nice! :cool:
Yeah, but the bike has me scratching my head. Either go for orange or red-white-blue. Orange-white-blue makes no sense.
Haha agreed, unless Van Baarle turns out to be a radical nationalist and insisted on the Prinsenvlag :lol:

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Hmm... African championship doesn't count as "elite"? Ghebreigzabhier isn't wearing a special jersey.
Same with the Panamerican, Asian, or Oceanian champions.

I think it's not because they don't count as 'elite' - it's simply because those federations don't really care about it.
Partly because the continental champion will sometimes be from a team or nation that is racing in year-old hand-me-down kit (and this happens more often than you'd think - even the South African national team has made riders wash & return the kit they got for Worlds, to re-issue it to whichever riders they picked the following year).

Forcing a small, volunteer-run, cash-strapped club team or the slightly more important, but usually not-much-better-funded (quasi) national team in one of those countries to produce a whole new batch of kit (and with a whole new design, at that!) is just not very high on their agenda.

And if the rider happens to be a pro on a team that could afford it, they may not want to do anything that puts this pro deal into jeopardy.

And even if they did want to get the continental champion on a pro team a special kit, they'd have to figure out which design to use!
Africa has been through half a dozen various designs, Panamerica is possibly even more varied.
One of the designs worn by the African continental champion (Dan Craven) actually turned into the design for the Namibian national champion in some weird form of appropriation, God knows how that happened.

To sum up, there are various possible reasons, and it's probably a combination of all of them.

Re:

Akuryo said:
DmFPqfqWwAAc5UJ.jpg:large

Peák Barnabás' Quickstep jersey. I dont like it with blue shorts though.

(He is Hungarian TT champion, not RR, so it seems odd that they made it up as a jersey at all. It'll probably never be worn with shorts. Or indeed, at all in competition, which would account for it being made up as a jersey rather than a skin suit. ) Scrub that (why does this board not allow strikethrough?), CQ appears mistaken. (Or maybe don't scrub it: CQ present a convincing argument that they are correct: see message late Monday/early Tuesday)

But it would be a missed opportunity not to see him pose with Viviani in his same combination, but different permutation, jersey. Their PR guy really ought to try to engineer that some time after the Vuelta.

Re: Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
Akuryo said:
DmFPqfqWwAAc5UJ.jpg:large

Peák Barnabás' Quickstep jersey. I dont like it with blue shorts though.

He is Hungarian TT champion, not RR, so it seems odd that they made it up as a jersey at all. It'll probably never be worn with shorts. Or indeed, at all in competition, which would account for it being made up as a jersey rather than a skin suit. (EDIT: CQ say he came 3rd in the Hungarian RR, PCS that he won it: colour me confused)

But it would be a missed opportunity not to see him pose with Viviani in his same combination, but different permutation, jersey. Their PR guy really ought to try to engineer that some time after the Vuelta.

Someone needs to make sure that happens, because it would be awesome.

Re:

tobydawq said:
But didn't he ride with this in the Brussels Classic? :O

I'm not saying you're wrong as I can see you aren't but this is highly strange.

UCI has the results of the Championship as him indeed winning it. It would appear that CQ have put the first 2 in the U23s as the winner and runner up, and credited those 1st-8th with 3rd to 10th places!

Re:

Leinster said:
Don't some countries run off the elite and u23 champs at the same time? It's possible he finished 3rd on the day, but the front 2 were u23 so first senior mens rider across the line wins the elite title, even if beaten by 2 age group riders.

Usually though if a U23 wins a joint national RR he also wins the elite RR title. In Ireland for instance, when Mullen won that race as a 21 year old a couple of years ago he was both elite and U23 champion. On the other hand despite also winning the jointly held TT event, he wasn’t eligible to be elite TT champion. As I understand it the TT thing was about some UCI regulation, but no such issue exists in road races. It is interesting if Hungary has a a nationals RR where the winner is not automatically the elite champion.

So I've had a reply from CQ, who point out that the UCI.org results have the U23 RR and U23 TT both on the same day (28th June), highly unlikely especially as the same guy (Attila Valter) won both.

CQ maintain that the U23 championship and the elite race was a combined race (on July 1), won by Valter, with Gergo Gonczy* (also listed in the U23 result) also finishing ahead of Peak. Peak is listed among the elite racers, despite being younger than both Valter and Gonczy, and seems able to wear the national champions jersey presumably on the grounds that he paid the full entry fee for the race rather than the reduced one for U23s.

So 20 year old Valter can't be elite champion because he is an U23, but 19 year old Peak can be: madness.

I'm sure he is happy to wear the jersey, but he must feel a bit of a fraud when he pulls it on.

*There's a contender for the Cool Names thread if ever there was one.

What a bizarre situation. When Michael Hutchinson won the Irish elite national TT despite being slower around the course than Ryan Mullen, who was then only eligible for the U23 crown, it may have been a bit embarrassing for all concerned, but there was no resentment between the riders. Both knew in advance that Mullen would probably be the fastest but wouldn’t be awarded the elite title and I think Mullen intervened on twitter to tell people who were giving Hutchinson grief to shut the hell up. I wonder if the race winner in Hungary is as magnanimous about it.

It was easy for the Irish guys to be relaxed about it. Hutchinson had already won multiple Irish and, before that, British national championships. Everyone knew Mullen was going to win pretty much every year until he retires. The Hungarian guys it may matter more to.

Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
CQ maintain that the U23 championship and the elite race was a combined race (on July 1), won by Valter, with Gergo Gonczy* (also listed in the U23 result) also finishing ahead of Peak. Peak is listed among the elite racers, despite being younger than both Valter and Gonczy, and seems able to wear the national champions jersey presumably on the grounds that he paid the full entry fee for the race rather than the reduced one for U23s.

this seems to be correct. Results are also available on the website of the Hungarian Federation

http://bringasport.hu/szakagak/orszagut/eredmenyek/ (Országúti OB 2018)

TRENDING THREADS