• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

best descender

best descender

• popovych

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
There is no way to know as a common spectator.
Sure, Cancellara's efforts get a camera on them. What about the guys battling to come in on time in mountain stages? Losing time on every mountain will develop some skills I presume. We never get to see that.

I think Hushovd was named best in riders poll a couple of years ago. They're probably the only ones who can really say.

dabaideschbi said:
who is the best descender in the world right now???
nibali
samuel sanchez
cancellara
hushovd
cunego
sagan
popovych
arroyo

You know nothing about making CN polls mate.

The fact that you never checked the "make votes public option" can be forgiven.

But you havent given the Dutch Mafia a taste. WTF is up with that:confused:

Anyway, Samu is the best descender, he just hasnt shown it in years;)

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

sorry mate but it was the first poll i have ever made in this forum and i didn't know how to do it before! i am sorry! i agree with you , i should have put the option other cyclists!

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Samu would get dropped like a feather if he's up against Cancellara in a descend. Weight alone would make Canc win already. His superior bike handling skills will just make the gap bigger.

dabaideschbi said:
sorry mate but it was the first poll i have ever made in this forum and i didn't know how to do it before! i am sorry! i agree with you , i should have put the option other cyclists!

Nah your poll was fine, that was just a inside forum joke about how these polls often turn up in favor of Rabobank riders (they say as much themselves).

El Pistolero said:
Yap Yap Yap
Thats all I heard.
:D

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Califer Hill said:
Although you don't see it on TV most sprinters have to be good descenders to help them make time cuts so i'd choose one of them.

I've read from cetrain cyclists that appearantly jj haedo is the best downhiller

May 19, 2011
Visit site
No one is better than Nibali in the Giro he easily dropped the favorites group with people like Arroyo in it he descends better than everyone else consistently however some of the grupetto may be better you dont see them s sanchez is only above average he hasnt shown anything on a descent in ages

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
nibali is incredibly overrated in everything including downhillingh. last year in giro di lombardia gilbert showed he was better and he could not get a gap at all. also in giro he could never really distance his opponents like in the past savoldelli could. not even close

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
here are the 50 best descenders in the world roughly in order

BONILLA BONILLA José Adrian "Chapulon"
NINO CORREDOR Libardo
RAMIREZ MENDEZ Federico "Lico"
BERTOLINI Alessandro
HUSHOVD Thor
HAEDO Juan José “Jota”
AMADOR BIKKAZAKOVA Andrey
CANCELLARA Fabian "Spartacus"
TUFT Svein
MCEWEN Robbie
O'GRADY Stuart
BOS Theo
GIACINTI Jorge Alberto
RUTKIEWICZ Marek
NINO CORREDOR Miguel Angel
TJALLINGII Maarten
GINNANI Francesco
LEQUATRE Geoffroy
IZAGIRRE INSAUSTI Gorka
PAUWELS Kevin
TSCHOPP Johann
BOASSON HAGEN Edvald
SANCHEZ GIL Luis Leon
VAN GARDEREN Tejay
LARSSON Gustav Erik
NIBALI Vincenzo
SUAREZ SUAREZ Juan Pablo
VOSS Paul
MOOS Alexandre
AERTS Mario
GILI Ignacio Ariel 'Chueco'
GILBERT Philippe
STYBAR Zdenek
BAKELANTS Jan
GERDEMANN Linus
LASTRAS GARCIA Pablo
COLOM MAS Antonio
VILA ERRANDONEA Francisco Javier “Patxi”
RAABE MENDEZ Henry "El Cañonero del Irazú"
ARROYO DURAN David
PAGLIARINI MENDONCA Luciano André
VILLA Romain
DAMIANI Luca
WALKER Johnny
SAGAN Peter
GOSS Matthew Harley
ZABALLA GUTIERREZ Constantino "Tino"
KONOVALOVAS Ignatas
POPOVYCH Yaroslav
ASTARLOZA Mikel
ROY Jérémy
VERDUGO MARKOTEGUI Gorka
CASAR Sandy

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
nibali is incredibly overrated in everything including downhillingh. last year in giro di lombardia gilbert showed he was better and he could not get a gap at all. also in giro he could never really distance his opponents like in the past savoldelli could. not even close

Somewhere hidden inside all your drivel lies some truth. Nibali could never impress me like for instance Il Falco used to. And Gilbert is indeed pretty skilled as a descender. I'm not convinced Nibali is that amazing as a descender either.

I voted Cancellara. Just look at the way he handled his bike in the prologue of the TdS. You gotta hand it to the motherf***ker, he handles that bike a lot better than his PR.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
BONILLA BONILLA José Adrian "Chapulon"
NINO CORREDOR Libardo
RAMIREZ MENDEZ Federico "Lico"

You do realize we are talking cyclists here right? What are those? Songs by Cesária Évora?

The TDF péloton in 2009 were polled on who they thought the best descender was. They said Thor Hushovd.

I like the shout out to Gerdemann though. Gerdemann is a very good descender, very good indeed. It was him attacking that led to Nibali's crash on the Strade Bianche in the rain.

TRENDING THREADS