• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best/favorite TV series ever

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
macbindle said:
Red Rick said:
Red Rick said:
Watching Bodyguard now. It's great.
Finished it yesterday.

Best TV show I've seen in years.

Now all there is to it is waiting for more seasons and be disappointed.

Have you seen Line of Duty?

People seem to be raving about it.

I don't know why but all of a sudden there seems to be loads of amazing British TV after years of crap.

Bodyguard, Killing Eve, Fleabag, Black Mirror etc.

There is also fly on the wall mockumentary 'This Country', which started off a bit creaky, but by the second series was amazing.

The new series of Line Of Duty is unbelievable, every week seems to end with a shock or cliffhanger. Fully recommend a watch if people haven’t seen it yet.

I’d also add Baptiste (and the previous two series of The mIssing) to your list of great of great TV recently.
Totally agree re Line of Duty, I would also add Broadchurch in there as well worth a watch. Real binge watching stuff..

movingtarget said:
Red Rick said:
movingtarget said:
Red Rick said:
So

Season 8 of GoT is basically Fleche Wallone

Well it was never about action in every episode and most series have two action packed episodes at best. Someone wrote recently that the most powerful scenes in GOT happened between two people talking behind closed doors. For the most part I think they are right, it was never meant to be Marvel like. I thought the second ep was an improvement but obviously the action kicks off in ep 3 and they get a chance to use their big budget ! For some reason though I find the scenes with Tyrion a bit of a borefest now. The rest of his family have become more interesting.
Usually the dialogue leads somewhere, now it was just 'guess everyone gunna have to say something, and as a result we got Tormund being cringy, a bunch of other things that felt somewhat out of place and obviously the RLJ reveal to Daenerys happens riiiight at the end of the episode.

I wasn't even talking about a lack of action as much as a total lack of new information. We're 4 episodes away from the end, and we still know nothing about this great threat that has brought us from a great show with political intrigue and gritty realism to 'oh **** ice zombies'

Yeah with such a large cast I guess it starts to get whittled down from the next ep and some of the popular characters will be disappearing. There will have to be some twists remaining especially with Cersei and Euron still active and with Snow's real history now known. Will the dragon woman accept Snow as king ? The last three eps are 90 minutes long. The shocks and intrigues from the earlier series have been missed as have some of the veteran, more talented actors. Once the scripts went past the books the series seemed to suffer but I still find it entertaining. Something tells me that Melisandre re the red witch will have an important part to play as will Bran.
Bran's hovered around the edges for ages, but possibly only to do what he's done - reveal Snow's heritage. What else can he really do beyond generate spoilers as to what's going to happen with his predictions?
Melisandre is a different story, though, and I agree with you that she'll pop up and have more to do, or can do.

Let's face it, the zombies won't win in the end. They'll go close, so that they can fill out the rest of the series, otherwise it'd be very boring should they get stopped in ep.3.
So, the only real intrigue left is who will get to kill Cersi in the final episode.

Archibald said:
movingtarget said:
Red Rick said:
movingtarget said:
Red Rick said:
So

Season 8 of GoT is basically Fleche Wallone

Well it was never about action in every episode and most series have two action packed episodes at best. Someone wrote recently that the most powerful scenes in GOT happened between two people talking behind closed doors. For the most part I think they are right, it was never meant to be Marvel like. I thought the second ep was an improvement but obviously the action kicks off in ep 3 and they get a chance to use their big budget ! For some reason though I find the scenes with Tyrion a bit of a borefest now. The rest of his family have become more interesting.
Usually the dialogue leads somewhere, now it was just 'guess everyone gunna have to say something, and as a result we got Tormund being cringy, a bunch of other things that felt somewhat out of place and obviously the RLJ reveal to Daenerys happens riiiight at the end of the episode.

I wasn't even talking about a lack of action as much as a total lack of new information. We're 4 episodes away from the end, and we still know nothing about this great threat that has brought us from a great show with political intrigue and gritty realism to 'oh **** ice zombies'

Yeah with such a large cast I guess it starts to get whittled down from the next ep and some of the popular characters will be disappearing. There will have to be some twists remaining especially with Cersei and Euron still active and with Snow's real history now known. Will the dragon woman accept Snow as king ? The last three eps are 90 minutes long. The shocks and intrigues from the earlier series have been missed as have some of the veteran, more talented actors. Once the scripts went past the books the series seemed to suffer but I still find it entertaining. Something tells me that Melisandre re the red witch will have an important part to play as will Bran.
Bran's hovered around the edges for ages, but possibly only to do what he's done - reveal Snow's heritage. What else can he really do beyond generate spoilers as to what's going to happen with his predictions?
Melisandre is a different story, though, and I agree with you that she'll pop up and have more to do, or can do.

Let's face it, the zombies won't win in the end. They'll go close, so that they can fill out the rest of the series, otherwise it'd be very boring should they get stopped in ep.3.
So, the only real intrigue left is who will get to kill Cersi in the final episode.
:eek:

If you think I can complain about Tour de Framce routes, dont get me started on GoT

Fans got their action episode in GOT with one cliffhanger after another. A few predictable heroic deaths. Some nice visuals but it was all very dark and confusing, the fighting I mean. The real plotting probably starts now with a throne up for grabs and Bronn the bounty hunter on the move.

well, that was an interesting turn of events - someone's 'hissy fit', not really being one of them...
Someone's lack of her usual 'plan B's that screws everyone was unexpected...
"rushed" is a term being used a lot to describe what's happening with the storyline(s), and it truly feels that way. The usual 'filling' of how conclusions get reached really seems to be missing - just straight to the results

I don't get all the criticism of Game of Thrones.
I think it is based on a vastly overinflated image of the quality of the first seasons, massive entitlement issues and a bandwagon thing where it is now cool and smart to criticize faults that were already there seasons ago. I very much liked the King's Landing episode, because it showed war as it truely is: a gruesome affair, where the line between good and bad is completely gone, where well-meant plans end up causing more pain and suffering, and where innocent civilians usually end up paying the price of games played at the top. This was not a Hollywood or Disney episode, far from it.

Re:

Jagartrott said:
I think it is based on a vastly overinflated image of the quality of the first seasons, massive entitlement issues and a bandwagon thing where it is now cool and smart to criticize faults that were already there seasons ago. I very much liked the King's Landing episode, because it showed war as it truely is: a gruesome affair, where the line between good and bad is completely gone, where well-meant plans end up causing more pain and suffering, and where innocent civilians usually end up paying the price of games played at the top. This was not a Hollywood or Disney episode, far from it.
It started going downhill quickly after S4, and for years after that loads of fans thought the end would still be good simply because the writers had the notes from the author.

And a story has been buildup for 9 years, ofcourse people feel entitled to an ending to the story that at the very least feels like the writers were even trying. But they weren't.

Every interview it's clear the actors really didn't like where the show was going either.

GoT has gone from one of the best written shows in it's first half to the most inconsistent one I've ever seen. And given the many years of buildup and all the mysteries in the first 7 seasons of the show, it's incredibly annoying to see that all crumble if you've been invested for a long time to say the very least.

I get the other side too. Visually it's stunning. THe action can look really cool. Production is at an unprecedented level for television. But the story that millions of people cared about has gone to absolute sh*te

And yeah, it's a gruesome affair. The show never shied away from that. But it was never this cynical or pointless either. Everyone had been expecting a bittersweet ending based on the comments of the autor. Now the fans will all be bitter, and the writers will say "Star Wars now? Sweet!"

Re:

Jagartrott said:

Yeah I liked it. The brothers fighting to the death was predictable but many fans expected Arya to kill Cersei and it never happened. Obviously an anti war episode. I thought this ep was superior to the Winterfell one with the battle against the Night King. Some of the quieter scenes between Tyrion and his brother and the Cersei and Jamie were also good. The Euron scenes were a bit of a waste. I hope the final ep is a good one but as others have said, the first half of the series was better simply because it was fresher, more unpredictable and had a lot of great actors that were mostly killed off. I still think this series has probably been better than the previous one which many didn't like. Still I think it's ending at the right time.

I still get triggered by the show version of Euron, they totally butchered the whole Greyjoy storyline. Book Euron is actually interesting and has a few cards to play, they also had to cut his brother Victarion, one of the most interesting pov characters in the later books.

movingtarget said:
Jagartrott said:

Yeah I liked it. The brothers fighting to the death was predictable but many fans expected Arya to kill Cersei and it never happened. Obviously an anti war episode. I thought this ep was superior to the Winterfell one with the battle against the Night King. Some of the quieter scenes between Tyrion and his brother and the Cersei and Jamie were also good. The Euron scenes were a bit of a waste. I hope the final ep is a good one but as others have said, the first half of the series was better simply because it was fresher, more unpredictable and had a lot of great actors that were mostly killed off. I still think this series has probably been better than the previous one which many didn't like. Still I think it's ending at the right time.
Arya killing Cersei too - probably while wearing Jaime's face - is the one predicted plotline I would've hated more than what happened.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
I still get triggered by the show version of Euron, they totally butchered the whole Greyjoy storyline. Book Euron is actually interesting and has a few cards to play, they also had to cut his brother Victarion, one of the most interesting pov characters in the later books.
Even the actor seemed really disappointed from his interviews

Red Rick said:
GoT has gone from one of the best written shows in it's first half to the most inconsistent one I've ever seen. And given the many years of buildup and all the mysteries in the first 7 seasons of the show, it's incredibly annoying to see that all crumble if you've been invested for a long time to say the very least.

I get the other side too. Visually it's stunning. THe action can look really cool. Production is at an unprecedented level for television. But the story that millions of people cared about has gone to absolute sh*te

And yeah, it's a gruesome affair. The show never shied away from that. But it was never this cynical or pointless either. Everyone had been expecting a bittersweet ending based on the comments of the autor. Now the fans will all be bitter, and the writers will say "Star Wars now? Sweet!"
Bit patronising, perhaps?
I've read the books, I've followed the series intently, and I am not disappointed. The only thing I agree on is that wrapping things up rather quickly meant that stories couldn't get developed deeper. But all things that have happened the past episodes, are completely following internal logic. It has always been GRRM's message that power corrupts, that good intentions and honourable behaviour can cause mayhem, etc.

Oh, and if 'fans' want to be mad, let them be mad at GRRM first and foremost. He's the one constructing a story with so much sprawl that it became impossible for him to finish. He'll never complete the series.

Jagartrott said:
Red Rick said:

I've read the books, I've followed the series intently, and I am not disappointed. The only thing I agree on is that wrapping things up rather quickly meant that stories couldn't get developed deeper. But all things that have happened the past episodes, are completely following internal logic. It has always been GRRM's message that power corrupts, that good intentions and honourable behaviour can cause mayhem, etc.

Oh, and if 'fans' want to be mad, let them be mad at GRRM first and foremost. He's the one constructing a story with so much sprawl that it became impossible for him to finish. He'll never complete the series.
I guess we have very different views on what the story is about

I'm mad at GRRM for not finishing

But I'll be damned if 95% of fans couldn't write a way better ending that what it ends up being.

Pretty sure D&D aren't even fan of ASOIAF, they were in it just to adapt the Red Wedding. They were hoping they'd get that far, and apparently not that it would finish.

Red Rick said:
Jagartrott said:
Red Rick said:

I guess we have very different views on what the story is about

I'm mad at GRRM for not finishing

But I'll be damned if 95% of fans couldn't write a way better ending that what it ends up being.

Pretty sure D&D aren't even fan of ASOIAF, they were in it just to adapt the Red Wedding. They were hoping they'd get that far, and apparently not that it would finish.

That's why I think it's finishing at the right time. From what I heard, Martin wanted another series so the ending wouldn't be so compressed and he was a bit peeved that it didn't happen. Scheduling might be one of the problems with the cast doing other projects as well especially some of the bigger names. Martin has seemingly gone very quiet on Twitter as well. Which could mean he's not happy with the results or he's busy writing ! A shame the books were not completed before the series started. Oh well........

Have to admit i liked the first half of the final ep of GOT or about the first hour but I thought the last third was pretty bad. They wrapped it up at the right time. I actually think the final ep was probably the worst ep of the season. Oh well I will have to get back to the books as I only read the first two which I liked very much.

Agreed, everything after the scene in the throne room was pretty anti-climactic. It felt tacked on and seemed to be a vehicle for potential spinoffs and to provide fan service to appease many of the disgruntled fans they knew would result from the previous episodes' plot lines.

I never read any of these books, even though I like GRRM as an author. I doubt that I will now (assuming that the series gets finished by him or his estate) after seeing how this played out. However, I would recommend this TV show to anyone who is interested in watching it. It holds together if you don't think about things too much. I agree with Jagar that the seams were always apparent with the writing of the show, but they got progressively worse as the series went on. Overall, it makes for a great spectacle. I think it is perfect for binge-watching.

Have you ever seen or read the conclusion of an epic tale that isn't somewhat anti-climactic? This was lightning fast compared to the ending of LotR. They tried to wrap it up with some dignity, I think. Not too much emo-music and such, and I guess they had to give at least a bit of direction to the (many) main characters, so yes, it dragged on a bit, but not more than what I expected. The murder of Daenerys was quite well done, I thought, and the bittersweet ending for Jon, the most powerfull man in Westeros by name - who will live with the knowledge of killing his lover and the everlasting doubt whether it was really justified.

You have to think that in the end the whole Character arc that we got for Daenerys was rather pointless.
Why have her fail and try agaim so many times in Essos if you have her killing an entire city in the end just to kill her off without any redemption?
Havimg her snap and destroy the city before the big battle against the white walkers and her sacrificing herself in that battle to save humanity would have been a better option, at least IMO.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
You have to think that in the end the whole Character arc that we got for Daenerys was rather pointless.
Why have her fail and try agaim so many times in Essos if you have her killing an entire city in the end just to kill her off without any redemption?
Havimg her snap and destroy the city before the big battle against the white walkers and her sacrificing herself in that battle to save humanity would have been a better option, at least IMO.
Well in the books she's condoning the torture of kids in Meereen, so she's obviously headed for a darker path earlier.

Daenerys' arc suffered from huge cuts that were made during S5/S6.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Well in the books she's condoning the torture of kids in Meereen, so she's obviously headed for a darker path earlier.

Daenerys' arc suffered from huge cuts that were made during S5/S6. I don't think Dany vs Cersei ever happens in the books.

Re:

Jagartrott said:
Have you ever seen or read the conclusion of an epic tale that isn't somewhat anti-climactic? This was lightning fast compared to the ending of LotR. They tried to wrap it up with some dignity, I think. Not too much emo-music and such, and I guess they had to give at least a bit of direction to the (many) main characters, so yes, it dragged on a bit, but not more than what I expected. The murder of Daenerys was quite well done, I thought, and the bittersweet ending for Jon, the most powerfull man in Westeros by name - who will live with the knowledge of killing his lover and the everlasting doubt whether it was really justified.
The Hyperion cantos. I am anxious to see if that series ever makes it to the screen as it has been in development for a few years. That type of winding down works better in books than TV IMO. I think putting so much humor in the last 30 mins was a conscious choice to not fall into LOTR- style navel-gazing. I would've been ok not seeing anything after the throne room. At least Jon gets to be with his doggo.
Mayomaniac said:
See also: Jorah. The first three episodes of the season and the last three episodes don't really dovetail effectively.

TRENDING THREADS