• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best/favorite TV series ever

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Night Stalker with Darren Mcgavin was a favourite growing up. Its back on Scifi Australia at the moment and still holds up pretty well.

Heard recently, Johnny Depp has been signed to remake the series which should be interesting.

Like Stargate Atlantis and Universe, disappointed they have stopped.

Yes, I am a Scifi Fan

Hugh

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Arrested Development coming back for one more season

Arrested Development" creator Mitch Hurwitz announced today that the show will be coming back to television -- five years after it was cancelled.

Hurwitz said the show will do a "limited" season which will show us what the characters have been up to since the show last aired ... which will then lead right into the planned movie.

There is no official deal in place yet for where or when the show will air.

Have a frozen banana and celebrate!

So happy!

I'm a massive Homer Simpson fan, so the Simpsons goes without saying. Other current Favorites are:

SouthPark
How I Met Your Mother
The Big Bang Theory
IT Crowd
The Mighty Boosh
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Arrested Development
Fringe
Supernatural (Don't judge me! My housemate got me hooked :p)

Sharp- Bank holidays just aren't the same without a few hours of this brilliance.
Columbo- I wish I didn't like it but I do.
Luther- only been like 7 episodes in 2 years but really top stuff
Peep Show- Altough all my freinds/family/colleagues hate it I think its comedy genius

Why do you wish you had not liked Columbo? That was a great series. A bit campy, but good mysteries every week. Some episodes Columbo wouldn't even show up until the show was half over, making things interesting. Plus, Peter Falk was a great actor. Looking beyond this role that made him famous, his work with John Cassavetes was superb. Powerhouse acting in Woman Under the Influence.

I got around to watching the first five episodes of Breaking Bad. Quite good. Also trying to watch more of the Wire.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Why do you wish you had not liked Columbo? That was a great series. A bit campy, but good mysteries every week. Some episodes Columbo wouldn't even show up until the show was half over, making things interesting. Plus, Peter Falk was a great actor. Looking beyond this role that made him famous, his work with John Cassavetes was superb. Powerhouse acting in Woman Under the Influence.

I got around to watching the first five episodes of Breaking Bad. Quite good. Also trying to watch more of the Wire.

Yeah is very uncool also its always on some channel or another so Ive lost countless hours of my life to it

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Just finished watching the first two series of Underbelly, an Australian series detailing gang warfare in Melbourne and Sydney. The first series was based in Melbourne. The show could not be aired in Victoria at the time because of ongoing court cases being aired on the series. Still very topical with the release of Animal Kingdom, the recent sentencing of Judy Moran, and the just finished trial for the murder of Carl Williams. Excellent series, well acted, and good character development.

The second series detailed Mr. Asia and Aussie Bob with the importation of heroin into Sydney in the 70s and 80s. It was also fascinating, but a bit more raw and ugly, and I am not sure how or why but I did not feel as much empathy for the characters as in the first series. Still a good watch. The third series, which is a sequel to the second series, is next on my list.

Other series I have intentions of watching or have started watching:
- The Wire (just starting the second series): very enjoyable
- Modern Family (mid-way through the first series): clever, but some cringe-worthy moments/acting
- The Good Wife (just started the second series): intriguing, good acting
- Weeds (just finishing season 5): running out of steam, series needed to end, but the first three seasons were good
- Game of Thrones (no more spoiler alerts please!)
- Justified
- Breaking Bad
- Bored to Death
- Rome
- Spartacus

And I continue to watch:
- How I Met Your Mother: I enjoy this series, but it should start wrapping up soon
- Two and a Half Men: I'm hanging in to see how things develop with Ashton Kutsher and the team. He is establishing his role, which is very different to Charlie Sheen, and the show may still have the legs to continue.
- Big Bang Theory: still fresh and enjoyable
- CSI: This season has started off very interestingly with Ted Danson and promises of a shakeup in the lab. Will be interesting to see how the season develops.
- CSI: NY: I am not sure how long both CSIs will last, and thankfully CSI Miami died a natural death (just too many seasons too late), but NY had to last until the 10 year anniversary of 9/11. They did that episode very nicely I thought. Mac is back in the lab again, which actually surprised me, and they continue to develop their characters well and have good and original story lines.

Now I need to get some bike time :D

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I have a few favourites

Comedy

- The King of Queens (Doug is the Man, nuff said)
- Friends (well you know... I was practically brought up on it)
- Ed (good sense of humor)
- Klovn (a bit wierd, but a lot of great stuff)
- Langt fra Las Vegas (also danish humor)
- Fawlty Towers (don't mention the war.... classic humor!)

Drama

- Dexter (taking you inside the mind of a monster, great stuff)
- Moonlighting (in best case classic, I'm definately not proud of it)
- Alias (very intense)
- Columbo (Absolutely classic)

elapid said:
- The Good Wife (just started the second series): intriguing, good acting.
Agree. Very smooth show in many ways. Also, Michael J Fox has a recurring role on it. I just hope they don't end up focusing too much on the romantic triangle and infidelity. I'm also glad we're seeing more of Chris Noth this year. He chews up the screen in this role.

You know, a lot of people who like The Wire, don't also like CSI, because they are polar opposites. The Wire is gritty, realistic, mostly shot on location in Baltimore, often with locals and non-actors. CSI, while good too, is as LA slick and polished as it gets.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
You know, a lot of people who like The Wire, don't also like CSI, because they are polar opposites. The Wire is gritty, realistic, mostly shot on location in Baltimore, often with locals and non-actors. CSI, while good too, is as LA slick and polished as it gets.

They are very different, but I like them for different reasons. I like The Wire for the reasons you highlighted. Its just a damn good show. Underbelly has a similar grittiness and realism to it, as did The Killing. These shows are good because of the whole gamet from acting and character development to story lines, direction and production.

I like CSI because of the tech side and trying to guess the whodunnit. They are not very realistic or gritty, and character development is almost non-existent, but you can always rely on whizzing techno machines and flashing lights to a background of a hip soundtrack at some stage during an episode.

Engrenages. Best ever cop show. Laure Berthaud is my role model. ;)

Then Torchwood, if I can't be Laure, I'll settle for Gwen Cooper. :D

My all time favourite series is probably LOST (except on the day it's Twin Peaks). I could live with the ending although it's not how I'd have finished it. I do find "Stranger In A Strange Land" hard to forgive though.

I'm also fond of Tatort - German series where the German regional stations each produce their own episode with their own police team. I also have to confess to a shameful addiction to Lindenstraße. For the Brits out there, that's a kind of German version of Coronation Street

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Bike Boy said:
Drama

- Dexter (taking you inside the mind of a monster, great stuff)

Though I must admit the scenario is mildly interesting and exciting at times, the persona of Dexter comes across as totally unrealistic to me.

I always have my reservations about the way he is portrayed as a serial killer. His behavior is so utterly strange and unbelievable that it distracts me too much to get involved with the show.

Try reading "The Collector" by John Fowles. Now that feels real to me.

On a side note, "The Magus" by John Fowles is also a friggin' awesome book.

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Kima get killed or wounded? Last night.
Here, The Wire just started, I am happy about it, very nice indeed. Without subtitles it would be impossible for me to follow black dudes:D

I love Raymond too, that wife vs. mother thing is so universal and epic.
Seinfeld is another league.
Anyone likes British "Black Adder"?

TRENDING THREADS