• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Best/favorite TV series ever

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
4,991
1
0
Visit site
RIP Col. Sherman T. Potter, one of the greatest tv characters ever.

_57195795_57195774.jpg



God, I loved MASH.:(
 
Emmerdale, Game of Thrones, Spartacus and Fawlty Towers. Besides those I haven't really followed any series.

Too darn shame that Whitfield passed away.. He was awesome in Spartacus. Luckily they will continue the series, though.

Game of Thrones is really awesome too, can't wait for the next season. Has anyone read the books?
 
Mar 13, 2009
5,245
2
0
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
anyone watch modern family.

if i were to base an opinion on gloria, maybe Colombians aren't the natural cyclists we thought they were :p

That is a great show, every single character is hilarious.

I only watch comedy:

The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, The Office, Family Guy, Parks and Recreation.

My favourite right now is Parks and Recreation.

Entourage was a lot of fun, I hope they'll make a movie
 
May 14, 2010
5,303
4
0
Visit site
I watched enough TV as a child for a whole lifetime. Maybe that's why all my favorites are old shows. To wit


The Outer Limits






The Twilight Zone






The Prisoner






Has anyone else noticed that nowadays a lot of suburbs (and suburban shopping centers) look like the Prisoner's village? At least, here in the U.S. The only thing missing is the big, bouncing white ball. (I have a feeling it's there, you just can't see it.)

Q. Where am I?

A. In the village.

I would have chosen, also, the original Star Trek, but I've seen all those so many times, I'm thoroughly tired of it.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
2
0
Visit site
Christian said:
That is a great show, every single character is hilarious.

I only watch comedy:

The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, The Office, Family Guy, Parks and Recreation.

My favourite right now is Parks and Recreation.

Entourage was a lot of fun, I hope they'll make a movie

I love the Big Bang Theory. Very clever nerdy humour. The guy that plays Sheldon is a brilliant actor. Just his mannerisms and the way he delivers his lines is amazing.

Another show I really like is The Amazing Race. I think the concept of racing around the world completing challenges in relation to the country and it's culture is pretty cool.
 
Mar 13, 2009
5,245
2
0
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I love the Big Bang Theory. Very clever nerdy humour. The guy that plays Sheldon is a brilliant actor. Just his mannerisms and the way he delivers his lines is amazing.

He is great but unfortunately Melissa Rauch's character Amy is destroying the show. She is just not at all funny, only annoying. Seasons 1 and 2 were great, but out of the new characters only Bernadette is OK.

I hope they will kick her off like they did with Raj's sister but unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen since she is now officially Sheldon's girlfriend
 
It seems like only one or two people here have mentioned The West Wing which is one of the best written shows I've ever seen. A lot of you are missing out.

Other great shows:

The Wire
Babylon 5
Game of Thrones (Though I'm already a long time fan of the books and the CCG.)
Band of Brothers
Generation Kill
Firefly
Alias
Walking Dead
6 feet under

Comedies:

Friends
Spin City
Big Bang Theory
Dead Like Me
 
Christian said:
He is great but unfortunately Melissa Rauch's character Amy is destroying the show. She is just not at all funny, only annoying. Seasons 1 and 2 were great, but out of the new characters only Bernadette is OK.

I hope they will kick her off like they did with Raj's sister but unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen since she is now officially Sheldon's girlfriend

I think you mean Mayim Bialik who plays Amy. Melissa Rauch plays Bernadette.
 
Nov 2, 2009
1,112
0
0
Visit site
ingsve said:
It seems like only one or two people here have mentioned The West Wing which is one of the best written shows I've ever seen. A lot of you are missing out.

Other great shows:

The Wire
Babylon 5
Game of Thrones (Though I'm already a long time fan of the books and the CCG.)
Band of Brothers
Generation Kill
Firefly
Alias
Walking Dead
6 feet under

Comedies:

Friends
Spin City
Big Bang Theory
Dead Like Me

Dead Like Me. :D That was a gem of a show. Pity there were only two seasons.
 
Apr 20, 2009
1,190
0
0
Visit site
i must admit i have never heard of most of the shows that have been mentioned here. my television viewing is mostly limited to cooking shows.

however, a number of people have mentioned the show M.A.S.H. what is the appeal of this show? i tried to watch it. it seemed to me that the jokes, if one characterizes what precedes the laugh track as humor, were somewhat hackneyed. granted i didn't give it much of a chance, but the few stories that i saw were forgettable.
 
gregod said:
i must admit i have never heard of most of the shows that have been mentioned here. my television viewing is mostly limited to cooking shows.

however, a number of people have mentioned the show M.A.S.H. what is the appeal of this show? i tried to watch it. it seemed to me that the jokes, if one characterizes what precedes the laugh track as humor, were somewhat hackneyed. granted i didn't give it much of a chance, but the few stories that i saw were forgettable.
M.A.S.H is great fun, if a little dated at times. I love the practical jokes and psychological warfare that the show bases itself around but sometimes it can get pretty heavy too and is stronger for it. Some of the humour and situations I guess I can relate to better than some after 7 years in the army.

On another note I have been getting into Archer (the animated series) lately, this is absolutely hilarious!
 
Jun 22, 2009
4,991
1
0
Visit site
gregod said:
however, a number of people have mentioned the show M.A.S.H. what is the appeal of this show? i tried to watch it. it seemed to me that the jokes, if one characterizes what precedes the laugh track as humor, were somewhat hackneyed. granted i didn't give it much of a chance, but the few stories that i saw were forgettable.

Well, where to begin?

I can't imagine how people would react to MASH if they didn't first see it at the time that it originally aired, from 1972-1983. Remember that the Vietnam war was still going on when it started, and that the show was loved by many for its anarchic, humorous, fundamentally anti-war sentiments. Add to that a whole bunch of bizar but madly lovable characters like Hawkeye, Trapper, Hotlips, Radar, Klinger and both Colonels (though most especially the phenomenally good Harry Morgan as Col. Sherman T. Potter) and you've got yourself a winning formula - though it was only after the show was moved to a better time slot in its second season that it really took off.

I lived in the UK at the time and, thanks to the BBC, was able to watch without that damned canned laughter. The BBC went on to repeat the series for many years after it had finished. The US viewing figures of the epic final episode were not surpassed in absolute terms by any other program until the 2009 or 2010 Super Bowl, though of course, by then there were millions more tv's than in 1983. It is still the top watched non-sporting tv program of all time.

M.A.S.H. combined humor, drama, emotion and pathos in a way that had never previously been done. It warmed your heart, made you laugh, and regularly moved you to the brink of tears. It was absolutely brilliant in its day, though I accept that anyone watching for the first time now might find it seriously dated. The show also made a big star out of Alan Alda as well as reviving the fortunes of Nehi, Radar's favorite soda.;)
 
Jul 4, 2009
9,666
0
0
Visit site
...currently...Life on Mars ( oddly enough both the US and Brit versions have their charms and are both worth checking out )...

...Hamish Macbeth...the greatest bestest cop show ever....

Cheers

blutto