• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best/favorite TV series ever

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
He is great but unfortunately Melissa Rauch's character Amy is destroying the show. She is just not at all funny, only annoying. Seasons 1 and 2 were great, but out of the new characters only Bernadette is OK.

I hope they will kick her off like they did with Raj's sister but unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen since she is now officially Sheldon's girlfriend

You reckon? I personally think that Amy is quite good. They do need to bring back Leonard's mum imo. The episodes she was in were quite funny.

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
gregod said:
i must admit i have never heard of most of the shows that have been mentioned here. my television viewing is mostly limited to cooking shows.

however, a number of people have mentioned the show M.A.S.H. what is the appeal of this show? i tried to watch it. it seemed to me that the jokes, if one characterizes what precedes the laugh track as humor, were somewhat hackneyed. granted i didn't give it much of a chance, but the few stories that i saw were forgettable.

FWIW, I remember reading that the surgeon whose semi-autobiographical novel inspired the original Robert Altman film actually despised the TV version of M*A*S*H. He blamed Alan Alda (he was also a show producer), in particular, for altering his original 'vision'.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
So what did people think about the House series finale?! I must say I was a little disappointed ... but oh well these things rarely live up to the expectations. So the secret about his dad hasn't been lifted if I am not mistaken? It was only a small side plot though. I was disappointed that Cuddy didn't reappear. And sad to see the show ending but all good things come to an end!

Epitafios, an Argentinian police thriller involving serial killers and all manner of interpersonal issues between the bad guys and the police officials out to get them.

HBO Latino did two seasons of this program, and both were outstanding.

I recommend this show over some of the over-hyped, under-baked drivel that's been coming out of Hollywood lately.

Two shows that have been a disappointment after strong initial starts are "The Walking Dead" and "Falling Skies". Great premises, great acting, but the shortcuts being taken due to budget constraints have been glaring. And some of the characters have just been really badly written.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Archer, sexist cartoon and a spy angle as well, can't beat that.

Sifel and Olly, best sock puppet cartoon ever, only on late night for some odd reason ;) (you'd think most of the CN Forum sock puppets would of watched this one)

The Super Adventures of the Super Adventure Team, the prelude to Team America, there were only a handful of episodes but right up there with Team America in offensiveness and hilarity. Not many people saw the show, again the super late night schedule hindered it, not to mention the over the top comedy and topics.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, no can do top three ('chagrin') :D

Drop The Dead Donkey
Big Bang Theory
Northern Exposure
Ed

Sandbaggers * excellent British spy genre
Sports Night * cast! repartee!
West Wing
Huff *
Firefly *
Pushing Daisies *

Callan
Farscape
Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
The Good Wife I find myself applauding dialogue
Fringe
Deadwood *
Dexter
Weeds
Sons Of Anarchy

Chapeau Hill Street Blues... pioneer extraordinary

* cancelled well before their time!!!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
anyone else watch parks and rec? Pretty funny i think.

Parks and R was great till this past season (4) IMO

Way too much focus was put on Poehler. Rashida Jones (especially) among others have become useless characters as a result.

30 Rock and Community are definitely the class of current NBC comedy.

Close thread, thank you.

Ricky-Gervais-as-David-Brent-ricky-gervais-366302_1024_768.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
nvpacchi said:
Parks and R was great till this past season (4) IMO

Way too much focus was put on Poehler. Rashida Jones (especially) among others have become useless characters as a result.

30 Rock and Community are definitely the class of current NBC comedy.

I still like Parks and Rec a lot. The first seasons were maybe a little better but I liked this one too. Plus in the next season there will be a lot of changes since most characters will have new jobs and positions.

I never cared for 30 Rock but Community is great. And that's coming from a European who's probably missing over half of the TV/pop culture references. Some episodes are really great though, like recently the Law and Order one for example. And of course Alison Brie is HOT.

The Office season was also surprisingly good IMO seeing that Michael wasn't there anymore. Robert California was annoying but now he's gone. Don't really know what to make of that new Nelly character yet.

Modern Family has been really funny too ... season finale tonight, hope it's a good one

My all-time favorites:

Comedy:
1 Blackadder
2 Fawlty Towers
3 Cheers
4 Not Going Out
5 Yes, Minister
6 The Cosby Show
7 Diff'rent Strokes

Sketch shows:
1 Monty Python's Flying Circus
2 Not the Nine O'Clock News
3 The Sketch Show

Crime:
1 Columbo
2 Derrick
3 Diagnosis Murder
4 Murder She Wrote
5 Poirot

Short films:
1 Alfred Hitchcock Presents
2 Tales of the Unexpected

Drama:
1 Secret Army
2 Lou Grant
3 The Avengers
4 Dallas
5 House of Cards

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
slim charles said:
Homicide is great, but The Wire is much stronger show IMO. Homicide had great moments, but also some ridiculously bad episodes. All in all, one of the best cop shows, no doubt.

No doubt with that user name you think The Wire > Homicide ;)

I agree though, The Wire brilliantly intertwines societal problems without missing a beat.

If David Simon was creating the Wire now, I'm sure he would try to weave health care into the storyline

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Did anyone happen to catch The Newsroom debut last night on HBO?? Cast looks good, and Aaron Sorkin's writing is always high quality.

Definitely an intriguing show that may be worthwhile

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
nvpacchi said:
Did anyone happen to catch The Newsroom debut last night on HBO?? Cast looks good, and Aaron Sorkin's writing is always high quality.

Definitely an intriguing show that may be worthwhile

Watching it right now on hbo's website. Pretty decent so far