• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best forum memes

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Best and funniest forum meme

• Total voters
I'm not sure if I'll ever be more outraged by a cycling incident (though I'm probably forgetting something) then with the Fabian hold up on stage 2 (partly because Klöden was up ahead, not that he had the legs that year anyway, and Cadel too I think) of 2010. Yet I can also see the funny side of it.
Could have been the 2 minutes he needed for a too 10 and stop Horner from going in the break to take a further spot.

I wonder who Echoes (or is it Echo?) like
the most these days. Or rather, who he hates the most, since Satan is no longer a real threat to any Belgian classic star
I'm gonna come in here and defend Echoes to be honest. I think his heart was in the right place, but his ways of putting his point across could grate. This being an Anglophone forum, a lot of focus on cycling outside of its traditional heartlands (and indeed in some of its traditional heartlands, Spain most obviously) tends to be weighted very heavily towards stage racing and particularly towards climbers, and the legends of the classics tend to be forgotten to a much greater extent. The bizarre fixation with Anglicising the names of every race ("Walloon Arrow" was another Echoes special) was just an affectation I believe (although I don't remember the "Tour of France", I'm sure he only ever called it the "Bore de France"?). He wasn't a troll like Pisti, he was simply very passionate about the Classics (and very much had one foot in the past, seemingly wishing to return to a calendar and a style of cycling from the 70s), and seemed to take it personally if others were not as passionate about them as he was.

Like, if Ryo didn't have that whole side where he'd start mocking or belittling women or insulting people's mental faculties, and was just restricted to the side of him that was smug and obsessive about Latin American cycling, where he would actually be a pretty useful and interesting source once you knew what to take with a pinch of salt, then he'd not be that dissimilar. Only for Echoes, that side of him was obsessive about the Northern Classics, Six Days, kermesses and Belgian amateur races back in the day, rather than up-and-coming Colombians and Venezuelans. I understand he butted heads with a few in the politics and religion threads, but I tended not to frequent those hotbeds of arguments. and only dealt with him on the subjects of cycling and music.

I'm gonna come in here and defend Echoes to be honest. I think his heart was in the right place, but his ways of putting his point across could grate. This being an Anglophone forum, a lot of focus on cycling outside of its traditional heartlands (and indeed in some of its traditional heartlands, Spain most obviously) tends to be weighted very heavily towards stage racing and particularly towards climbers, and the legends of the classics tend to be forgotten to a much greater extent. The bizarre fixation with Anglicising the names of every race ("Walloon Arrow" was another Echoes special) was just an affectation I believe (although I don't remember the "Tour of France", I'm sure he only ever called it the "Bore de France"?). He wasn't a troll like Pisti, he was simply very passionate about the Classics (and very much had one foot in the past, seemingly wishing to return to a calendar and a style of cycling from the 70s), and seemed to take it personally if others were not as passionate about them as he was.

Like, if Ryo didn't have that whole side where he'd start mocking or belittling women or insulting people's mental faculties, and was just restricted to the side of him that was smug and obsessive about Latin American cycling, where he would actually be a pretty useful and interesting source once you knew what to take with a pinch of salt, then he'd not be that dissimilar. Only for Echoes, that side of him was obsessive about the Northern Classics, Six Days, kermesses and Belgian amateur races back in the day, rather than up-and-coming Colombians and Venezuelans. I understand he butted heads with a few in the politics and religion threads, but I tended not to frequent those hotbeds of arguments. and only dealt with him on the subjects of cycling and music.

Isn't him being a part of your anti-Sagan club clouding your judgment a little bit here (obviously it could just as well be working the other way with me, admittedly)?

I remember him once saying that cross was the only discipline worth watching because there you couldn't cheat, where the cheating consisted in riding behind other riders and benefitting from their slipstream. If that's your point of view, you're just not able to conduct yourself meaningfully on a forum concerning itself primarily with road cycling. I don't remember him from the older days but only from the short period until he stopped posting, and he got so ridiculous that he must have been the first poster I put on ignore.

Regarding his translating every race name into English, this was a justification he used: "I've been baited for referring to the "Walloon Arrow" or the "Tour of France" but nobody would call this race: Cumhurbaşkanlığı Türkiye Bisiklet Turu. Double standard. " So, yeah.

I can see that neither Echoes nor Ryo is troll, they're just aggressively passionate about their particular likes, that they have tons of useful knowledge on.
Oh, Echoes was sometimes pretty aggressive and almost purist about music, too. I believe his forum name can't have anything to do with Barrett-less era Pink Floyd, because he almost loathed them like they're a bunch of Contadors.

Took time for me to kind of realize that Pisti was merely trolling all along and that he's just as passionate being one.

Reactions: Sandisfan

I mostly remember him for that time he accused us all of being cold uncaring bitches because nobody created a specific thread about the Stig Broeckx accident straight away, but rather waited until there was actually confirmation, and just discussed it in at least two other threads.

Isn't him being a part of your anti-Sagan club clouding your judgment a little bit here (obviously it could just as well be working the other way with me, admittedly)?

I remember him once saying that cross was the only discipline worth watching because there you couldn't cheat, where the cheating consisted in riding behind other riders and benefitting from their slipstream. If that's your point of view, you're just not able to conduct yourself meaningfully on a forum concerning itself primarily with road cycling. I don't remember him from the older days but only from the short period until he stopped posting, and he got so ridiculous that he must have been the first poster I put on ignore.

Regarding his translating every race name into English, this was a justification he used: "I've been baited for referring to the "Walloon Arrow" or the "Tour of France" but nobody would call this race: Cumhurbaşkanlığı Türkiye Bisiklet Turu. Double standard. " So, yeah.
I mean, he also defended Gianni Moscon, so there's that. But I was referring primarily to the "stop talking about the GTs, start talking about Druivenkoers-Overijsse!" side of him as that was what I primarily saw on the boards, but if you engaged him on historical cycling he would be far less condescending and discourse with genuine enthusiasm. Certainly from what I saw of his engagement on the politics and religion areas of the boards, there were plenty of questionable takes, though, and I can totally understand why people butted heads with him on those subjects.

Last edited:
I actually enjoyed reading Echoes' posts, he had some great insights and knew a whole lot (think LS levels, maybe even more, but just restricted to the classics and a lot of known and less known Belgian riders). And he was quite funny as well, even though it probably wasn't intended.

• Wow
I actually enjoyed reading Echoes' posts, he had some great insights and knew a whole lot (think LS levels, maybe even more, but just restricted to the classics and a lot of known and less known Belgian riders). And he was quite funny as well, even though it probably wasn't intended.
Echoes was constantly on his classics high horse, and was basically only here to try and out-hipster the forum as a whole.

He seemed like a bit of an Australianist (tremendous disdain for Porte), but he was largely right about TDU and his posts were often amusing.
He took it so far that the grudge seemed personal, like his entire motive was to stop people even attempting to discuss the race. From Jancouver's posts you would think the TDU was attended entirely by neo pros and final year retirees chained up and forced onto the plane at gunpoint.

Meanwhile the reality was riders like Voigt, LL Sanchez, Greipel, de Ghendt, Thomas, Sagan and many other very good riders came out year after year because shock horror they enjoyed the race.

TRENDING THREADS