• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best rider of this year (2012)?

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Best rider of the year?

• other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Afrank said:
When talking about who has more wins between the two it's important to note that Cancellara in his first years never considered himself to be a real contender for the cobbled races, he thought just TT's.

Editor-in-chief appears when you have 5 posts or around 5 posts, it doesn't mean anything.

Never noticed that before, or maybe I saw it and didn't think twice about it until today. Thanks!

King Of The Wolds said:
I'm not sure about that, but if Contador had just won the Tour by 6 mins, an Olympic Gold and utterly dominated everything else he'd entered, this poll would be a landslide.

That really isn't up for debate.

If Andy was riding for Contador in the Tour, and a super team riding in front for him in every other race, there would be a lot of mockery.

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
phanatic said:
If Andy was riding for Contador in the Tour, and a super team riding in front for him in every other race, there would be a lot of mockery.

Wiggins went a whole season without losing a time trial.....

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Angliru said:
Supporting Rodriguez is the same as hating Wiggins? What exactly are you "editor-in-chief" of?

This isn't a poll on who you support its who was the best rider this year and thats wiggins without doubt.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
sbbefc said:
Wiggins went a whole season without losing a time trial.....

Couple TT's he didn't win- Stage 2 of Paris-Nice, Prologue of Normandie, Prologue of the Dauphine, Tour Prologue.
And it's no like he had a lot of competition in the TT :rolleyes:, did you happen to see what happened to Martin and Cancellara this season.

sbbefc said:
This isn't a poll on who you support its who was the best rider this year and thats wiggins without doubt.

Some people look at more than just who won the a lot of races.

King Of The Wolds said:
I'm not sure about that, but if Contador had just won the Tour by 6 mins, an Olympic Gold and utterly dominated everything else he'd entered, this poll would be a landslide.

And if Jonathan Tiernan Locke had Puritos season, a lot of people mocking the Rodriguez claim now would be firmly behind him ;)

Besides as i recall, in that poll who dont you want to win the TOur from a year back, Contador was pushing Andy down to the wire. ANd like the 2010 TOur they were flying away from everyone else.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
King Of The Wolds said:

Contador would never win those races in the same way Wiggins did this year, so it would be a bit different.

Afrank said:
Contador would never win those races in the same way Wiggins did this year, so it would be a bit different.

If Contador won 2 TOur tts by 2 minutes to 5th place each, and an olympic tt i would be quite impressed. Regardless of whether challangers were there or not.

If however Contador won a Tour without Andy Schleck or Chris Froome , by attacking in the last 2k of every mtf, and then went on to win an olympic gold for a tt that went up the Kronplatz, (for which Schleck and Froome are injured) then i would be very disapointed and vote for Joaquim Rodriguez as rider of the year,

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
If Contador won 2 TOur tts by 2 minutes to 5th place each, and an olympic tt i would be quite impressed. Regardless of whether challangers were there or not.

If however Contador won a Tour without Andy Schleck or Chris Froome , by attacking in the last 2k of every mtf, and then went on to win an olympic gold for a tt that went up the Kronplatz, (for which Schleck and Froome are injured) then i would be very disapointed and vote for Joaquim Rodriguez as rider of the year,

Wiggins won this year by beating everyone else in the TT and having his team pace him up the mountains, if it was Contador that won all the races Wiggins did this year he would most likely have done it by attacking in the mountains and doing well in the TT's. Because Contador would win the races this way I think his victories would be received by the fans differently then Wiggins victories have been received this year.

I do agree with you that just attacking in the last 2k in races without guys like Froome or Schleck, or others would be disappointing, of course Contador has never been one to win races this way.

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Afrank said:
Couple TT's he didn't win- Stage 2 of Paris-Nice, Prologue of Normandie, Prologue of the Dauphine, Tour Prologue.
And it's no like he had a lot of competition in the TT :rolleyes:, did you happen to see what happened to Martin and Cancellara this season.

Some people look at more than just who won the a lot of races.

He won all the ITTs that were of any notable length

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Wiggins has had one of the best seasons ever had by any rider, ever. But my vote goes to JTL. JTL wins everything by default, even if he doesn't win.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Name them all 30 riders that had much better seasons then ....

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's hard to find a season of Merckx that was worse, so that's already 6-7 seasons. Couple of seasons from Freddy Maertens. Couple of seasons from Anquetil, Indurain, Coppi, Bartali, Stephen Roche, Hinault, etc

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
It's hard to find a season of Merckx that was worse, so that's already 6-7 seasons. Couple of seasons from Freddy Maertens. Couple of seasons from Anquetil, Indurain, Coppi, Bartali, Stephen Roche, Hinault, etc

Throw in a couple of seasons for Jalabert, Sean Kelly, Moser, Gimondi, Ocana and a single great season for Fignon, Lemond, Saronni, Janssen, Nencini, Koblet, Kubler, Van Looy.

And Hinault is more than a couple, he probaby also had 5 or 6 that could be considered superior.

Tommeke for me.

111awaebBoonenBetter142581115.jpg