• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best Uphill Sprinter From Those 4? (6-8%)

Best Uphill Sprinter From Those 4? (6-8%)

• P.Sagan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Depends a lot on the stage/race that precedes the sprint. If it's easy, Sagan. Medium, can be Sagan, Gilbert or Purito. If it's hard, Purito.

I am sure some posters will counter with a result in an obscure race, but this is just a generality.

Arnout said:
Depends a lot on the stage/race that precedes the sprint. If it's easy, Sagan. Medium, can be Sagan, Gilbert or Purito. If it's hard, Purito.

I am sure some posters will counter with a result in an obscure race, but this is just a generality.
A 1 km hill at 6%, Gilbert has been unbeatable on those for a while. I don't know if he still is, but I guess so.

Anything longer, I don't know. Valverde maybe.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Gilbert is the better hill.rider but if he wins its because he dropped valverde and sagan earlier, sprinting got **** to do.with it.

Why didn't he follow him at Valkenburg then? Or La Lastrilla in the Vuelta? Or Saint Nicholas at LBL?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Sprinting for 2k at 6% isn't really sprinting, so the thread is sort of pointless anyway. A real uphill sprint is max 500 meters or so, and then Sagan is without a doubt the fastest. Maybe even Greipel.

They mean a short explosive effort on a hill. I think all my examples are a statement of that.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Sprinting for 2k at 6% isn't really sprinting, so the thread is sort of pointless anyway. A real uphill sprint is max 500 meters or so, and then Sagan is without a doubt the fastest. Maybe even Greipel.

I made it 2km cause when it's 500 m Sagan wins easy IMO. But will he still have that after having a hill of 1.5 km. Not sprinting for 2 km obviously.

Who can 'sprint' for 2 km? impossible ;)

El Pistolero said:
They mean a short explosive effort on a hill. I think all my examples are a statement of that.

I said valverde and sagan could beat Gilbert in a sprint but that Gilbert can drop them earlier and you come back with 3 examples of.Gilbert dropping valverde earlier 2 of which the race did not end on the hill 1 of which valverde actually came back and beat them.

And you ask.me.how i explain them:confused:

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I said valverde and sagan could beat Gilbert in a sprint but that Gilbert can drop them earlier and you come back with 3 examples of.Gilbert dropping valverde earlier 2 of which the race did not end on the hill 1 of which valverde actually came back and beat them.

And you ask.me.how i explain them:confused:

Do you really think the outcome of the WC would've been any different had it finished on the Cauberg? :confused: Gilbert's time on the Cauberg at the WC was faster than Gaspa's time on the Cauberg during the AGR lol(and thus also faster than Sagan's time).

And La Lastrilla was an uphill finish where Gilbert won. Where did he drop Valverde earlier lol?

Same goes for Saint Nicholas. Had the finish been on it, Valverde would've lost.

Ps: Valverde didn't come back and beat Gilbert in LBL. Evans came back with someone in his wheel all the time. ;)

El Pistolero said:
Do you really think the outcome of the WC would've been any different had it finished on the Cauberg? :confused: Gilbert's time on the Cauberg at the WC was faster than Gaspa's time on the Cauberg during the AGR lol(and thus also faster than Sagan's time).

And La Lastrilla was an uphill finish where Gilbert won. Where did he drop Valverde earlier lol?

Same goes for Saint Nicholas. Had the finish been on it, Valverde would've lost.

Ps: Valverde didn't come back and beat Gilbert in LBL. Evans came back with someone in his wheel all the time. ;)

He dropped valverde earlier on the hill, it wasn't a sprint. If contador had won on gallina world you have called it a sprint because it was less than 2km? Even.though his advantage came from an earlier attack and not actually a sprint.

theyoungest said:
A 1 km hill at 6%, Gilbert has been unbeatable on those for a while. I don't know if he still is, but I guess so.

Anything longer, I don't know. Valverde maybe.

In 2011, yes. But so far 2011 seems to be an exception, in all other years he hasn't been unbeatable.

But my post was making the point that with 2 HC climbs before 500m hill, Purito will win.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Arnout said:
In 2011, yes. But so far 2011 seems to be an exception, in all other years he hasn't been unbeatable.

But my post was making the point that with 2 HC climbs before 500m hill, Purito will win.

Looked pretty unbeatable to me on the Cauberg this year. Which is a 1.2km hill with an average of 6%.

We all know he stuffed up his winter prep last year. Why else do you think he's starting Down Under this year?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Looked pretty unbeatable to me on the Cauberg this year. Which is a 1.2km hill with an average of 6%.

We all know he stuffed up his winter prep last year. Why else do you think he's starting Down Under this year?

how about giving another example of 2012?

TRENDING THREADS