• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Big stars entering the vuelta

May 27, 2010
Visit site
since the tour is nearly over i would be looking forward to the vuelta. i would like to know who are entering. i hear frank schleck would be entering. its time he got a gt victory

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
since the tour is nearly over i would be looking forward to the vuelta. i would like to know who are entering. i hear frank schleck would be entering. its time he got a gt victory

Fränk said he would help his brother. I don't expect any of them being competitive either for the GC or stage hunting. Nibali may be the man.

Nibali will be Liquigas' guy.

Caisse will have Soler and Arroyo at least.

Euskaltel will have Antón and Intxausti. Antón will probably be their GC man, but Samu might show if he has enough left.

Xaco will have Mosquera, who's always good for some fun.

Saxo will take both Schlecks. Fränk is coming off injury and says he'll work to help Andy, but I think Andy will have lost too much energy at the Tour. It's a shame as this could be Fränk's best chance of winning a GT.

Menchov used to ride Tour-Vuelta back when he won it twice, so I'd hope he does that again as he could well be competitive.

I expect you'll have a pretty elite mix of sprinters and classics men looking to prepare for the Worlds.

Moncoutié will want to defend his KOM too. Dani Moreno has got good results as a domestique at the Vuelta two years running now, but he's raced both GTs so far this year so I don't know if he'll ride.

Finally, a couple of more left-field suggestions - Rujano's been in talks with Footon (again) and Riccò's been in talks with Quick Step. Stefan Schumacher also wants to ride but I don't think he'll be as lucky getting a slot.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
I don't think any of them is ready and I hope no one puts silly ideas in their heads.

they both already 22 and after 2/3 pro season i think they can have a try.

they expect to go to tour next year so they should show something in Vuelta

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
joy118118 said:

no need rush the youngsters. avoiding a GT in their first season is a good idea imo.

22 is still very young btw.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Nibali will be Liquigas' guy.

Caisse will have Soler and Arroyo at least.

Euskaltel will have Antón and Intxausti. Antón will probably be their GC man, but Samu might show if he has enough left.

Xaco will have Mosquera, who's always good for some fun.

Saxo will take both Schlecks. Fränk is coming off injury and says he'll work to help Andy, but I think Andy will have lost too much energy at the Tour. It's a shame as this could be Fränk's best chance of winning a GT.

Menchov used to ride Tour-Vuelta back when he won it twice, so I'd hope he does that again as he could well be competitive.

I expect you'll have a pretty elite mix of sprinters and classics men looking to prepare for the Worlds.

Moncoutié will want to defend his KOM too. Dani Moreno has got good results as a domestique at the Vuelta two years running now, but he's raced both GTs so far this year so I don't know if he'll ride.

Finally, a couple of more left-field suggestions - Rujano's been in talks with Footon (again) and Riccò's been in talks with Quick Step. Stefan Schumacher also wants to ride but I don't think he'll be as lucky getting a slot.

Don't forgot about Kashechkin, he's hoping to return for the race as well. I think Anton could have a good year, and this is Mosquera's best shot at a podium for a while.

joy118118 said:

I don't think Van Garderen expects to go to the Tour next year. Sicard, maybe.

Usually a rider starts thinking about GTs in his second pro season. Certainly when they're so young.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
I don't think Van Garderen expects to go to the Tour next year. Sicard, maybe.

Usually a rider starts thinking about GTs in his second pro season. Certainly when they're so young.

well, Van Garderen said it on his twitter. but i think it depends on his vuelta show

Speaking of the vuelta im loving the new climb they included for the penultimate - Bola del Mundo. Its under 50km from madrid city centre

erfil20SanMartndeValdeiglesias-vi.jpg

How on earth did they get a gc mtf on the outskirts of Madrid?

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
it is not that surprising with the geography of Spain and Meseta, Madrid itself lies 600+ metres above sea and there are mountains all around Madrid with Sierra de Guadarrama to the north reaching 2400+m
btw. Bola del Mundo is going to be a massacre climb, there are 17-18-19% passages over last 4km

AtletiSK said:
it is not that surprising with the geography of Spain and Meseta, Madrid itself lies 600+ metres above sea and there are mountains all around Madrid with Sierra de Guadarrama to the north reaching 2400+m
btw. Bola del Mundo is going to be a massacre climb, there are 17-18-19% passages over last 4km

even though the vuelta doesnt have large number of fans usually, since the mtf is so close to the city, there might be a large number of fans, on the climb.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Anton, Intxausti, and hopefully Txurruka will animate the race. Anton has been the only guy to ride away from Contador in the mountains this year (Castilla y Leon).

Also Jose Angel Gomez Marchante will probably be team leader for Andalucia Cajasur- he's finished 5th and 8th in la Vuelta before.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Speaking of the vuelta im loving the new climb they included for the penultimate - Bola del Mundo. Its under 50km from madrid city centre

erfil20SanMartndeValdeiglesias-vi.jpg

BTW There is where El Pistolero goes to train when He is in his House in Pinto... He really loves that climb...!

Mellow Velo said:
Reminds me. How is Ricco's Vuelta transfer coming along?

Well He signed with Ceramica Flaminia for two years and with a clausule that doesn't allow him to leave the team until finish the 2 years contract... I think Quick Step really wants him but Falminia is not going to give up on Riccó so quickly...

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Navacerrada is 60km from Madrid and is the climb most featured in the Vuelta. Although the road to Bola del Mundo has been there for a long time (there is a radio station at the summit), it's part of a natural park and there are access restrictions. You can only get there walking, cycling or using the lift of the ski station.

The Vuelta wanted to have a stage finish there since a few years ago, but it needed the permission of the regional authorities to access the protected area, and the interest of the local authorities to pay for the stage and repair the access road where needed. This just happened last year.