• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Big stars entering the vuelta

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Vande Velde and Farrar are both confirmed to ride the Vuelta. Personally expect VDV to finish pretty high up (as long as he doesn't crash), and Farrar will win a couple of stages.

U.S. riders Vande Velde, Farrar to return for Vuelta

Christian Vande Velde has endured a tough 14-month stretch, one in which he crashed at the 2009 and 2010 Giro d'Italias and the 2010 Tour de France -- each time leading to his departure from the race.

Christian Vande Velde has endured a tough 14-month stretch, one in which he crashed at the 2009 and 2010 Giro d'Italias and the 2010 Tour de France -- each time leading to his departure from the race.

A little more than a week after Vande Velde's exit from the Tour, Garmin-Transitions teammate Tyler Farrar -- who crashed in Stage 2, just as Vande Velde did - also pulled out of the race.

But on Thursday, VeloNews.com reported that both American riders will return to competition at the Vuelta a Espana, the third Grand Tour race of the season. The 21-stage event starts Aug. 28 in Sevilla, Spain.

http://www.universalsports.com/blogs/blog=shiftinggears/postid=484128.html

Libertine Seguros said:
At least this time VDV will actually make it to the country the GT is supposed to be in, after crashing out of the Giro in Holland and the Tour in Belgium.

I dont know. Those andalucian independence movements have been gaining in confidence lately;)

And the ttt is at night which might increase vdv chances of falling off

I know people love their big name riders but does anyone think that the lack of outstanding favourites will make the Vuelta more interesting. I mean everyone had Contador and Schleck as 1-2 at the Tour and thats how it finished, predictably. Who is the favourite for the Vuelta, so far we seem to have:

Nibali
Schleck.F
Vandevelde
Anton
Mosquera

and................... a host of potential newer names

It could be a real free for all.

As much as I dont like RadioShack, it is disappointing they are not at the Vuelta. Would liked to see what Tiago Machado could do.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I dont know. Those andalucian independence movements have been gaining in confidence lately;)

And the ttt is at night which might increase vdv chances of falling off

TTT starts approximately at sunset time, so the first teams will ride it with natural light conditions. Those with a marked affection to kiss the tarmac should be given priority :D

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I think over the past decade Vuelta has had generally more stars (especially international, when we leave out ITA/ESP riders) taking part than Giro which is historically quite unusual
anyway, because I have to confess it is my favourite race in the calendar I hope that the field will be strong enough and equal to give us a spectacle, because the route is very exciting, I wonder if finally Andy, Samu and Denis show up and with what kind of ambitions... As for AC, he would race only if he had chance to win and he looked so tired after TdF, therefore it is very unlikely... so maybe next season

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Will franck schlek have recovered by the time of the giro? I think he woud have a good chance of winning it..... even if he does say he will help andy the team will find the stronget rider..

The route looks quite interesting too.... i guess a few big name sprinters will be there too.. boonen for the world championship preperation and I guess greipal or cavendish will be there too..

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
I know people love their big name riders but does anyone think that the lack of outstanding favourites will make the Vuelta more interesting. I mean everyone had Contador and Schleck as 1-2 at the Tour and thats how it finished, predictably. Who is the favourite for the Vuelta, so far we seem to have:

Nibali
Schleck.F
Vandevelde
Anton
Mosquera

and................... a host of potential newer names

It could be a real free for all.

As much as I dont like RadioShack, it is disappointing they are not at the Vuelta. Would liked to see what Tiago Machado could do.

+1

I'm excited about Anton and the form he's shown this year. Same with Inxausti who looked good earlier in the season making the podium in one of the major week long stage races.

Mosquera is overdue to make the Vuelta podium and always animates the race.

I hope Frank Schleck shows good early form so that he and not Andy is Saxo's protected rider. He was looking quite strong leading up to the Tour.

Of course Vincenzo Nibali, if he's coming to race for the win, has to be one the fav's based on his impressive Giro performance. I feel that had he not called into support Basso in the place of Pellizoti at the Giro, that he would've
been battling for a 4th or 5th place in the Tour.

I know Contador has not said yes or no to the Vuelta but based on how grueling the Tour was for him I'm not holding out hope that he'll be at the start.

I always enjoy the Vuelta and this years should be quite exciting. I'm really rooting for Anton to make that major step up.

nvpacchi said:
Anton, Intxausti, and hopefully Txurruka will animate the race. Anton has been the only guy to ride away from Contador in the mountains this year (Castilla y Leon).

Also Jose Angel Gomez Marchante will probably be team leader for Andalucia Cajasur- he's finished 5th and 8th in la Vuelta before.

Well those placings were in 2004 and 2006. Since then he's been anonymous in GT's. So, I predict that he won't be a factor at the Vuelta.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
afpm90 said:
Well those placings were in 2004 and 2006. Since then he's been anonymous in GT's. So, I predict that he won't be a factor at the Vuelta.

Yup not even a top 20 at a GT since. Still, I hope he can turn it around this year. Do people think riders like Sammy Sanchez and Joaquim Rodriguez have enough left to target this race?

ericthesportsman6 said:
Yup not even a top 20 at a GT since. Still, I hope he can turn it around this year. Do people think riders like Sammy Sanchez and Joaquim Rodriguez have enough left to target this race?
Marchante has been pretty unlucky with injuries throughout his career, but still last year he rode both the Tour and the Vuelta, while this year he has no results to show. Pity, I liked him as an amateur and neo-pro.

I'd think Andy, AC, SS, JR and DM are all likely tanked and will have a hard time winning the Vuelta. This race has become a big enough prize that riders focus their season on it, and why we saw last year Valverde and Sanchez battle it out.

Nibali and Mosquera are good top picks, Soler and Antón as well, as the course fits them, and it seems their season surrounds it. I'll be cheering for the first two there, as I like their riding style. IF Frank is recovered, and can focus, and if he got Andy's support, Frank could seriously contend.

In my mind Heras won it four times, but that's just me.

Alpe d'Huez said:
I'd think Andy, AC, SS, JR and DM are all likely tanked and will have a hard time winning the Vuelta. This race has become a big enough prize that riders focus their season on it, and why we saw last year Valverde and Sanchez battle it out.

Nibali and Mosquera are good top picks, Soler and Antón as well, as the course fits them, and it seems their season surrounds it. I'll be cheering for the first two there, as I like their riding style. IF Frank is recovered, and can focus, and if he got Andy's support, Frank could seriously contend.

In my mind Heras won it four times, but that's just me.

I think valverde was forced into focusing his season on the vuelta considering he couldnt ride the tour as it passed through italy, and, well, obviously couldnt ride the tour of italy so it was only the vuelta left.

ericthesportsman6 said:

It's San Sebastian and then training in Andorra in preparation for Vuelta for Rodriguez. I think he can top 10 at the least,

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Big GMaC said:
Where does that leave Andre Greipel? He will want to do the Vuelta to prep for the WCs

Perhaps Columbia will use him in 2nd tier races. If Cav is staying and Greipel is going, perhaps they'd prefer to race Cav at the bigger races and Greipel at the Tour of Britain and other secondary races at that time.

Greipel already got the Giro on his own. Should he have expected both the Giro and Vuelta?

Latest posts