Big stars entering the vuelta

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 6, 2009
1,901
1
0
danyela said:
Frank had seriously good form coming into the tour, if he can recover quickly he'll be a serious contender.

I agree, to me Frank has to be the strognest of the guys who didn't ride the Tour (assuming we don't count the first 3 stages). Also the route should be good for him I think with only 45 k ITT.
 
Jul 26, 2010
1
0
0
Anyone have experince to share on watching vuelta stages? Going to be in northern spain for the Pena Carbarga, Covadonga, Cotobello stages and curious how early they close roads, etc? I would like to be up on the climb at Covadonga or Cotobello if possible, how early would you suggest getting there? Unfortunately camping is not an option, have 2 small kids in tow, but not against loading them in a stroller and walking uphill for a good spot. Thanks.
 
Mar 10, 2009
296
1
9,035
VespistaCiclista said:
Quick question (don't mean to hijack the thread though) - do you know if you can watch on delay? That is, if I get home in the evening US time and want to catch the stage then, do they post a replay?

Thanks.


According to the website, On Demand stages will be available.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,455
5
0
I hope one of the Schlecks can win.

All those runner up positions at Grand Tours must be depressing for them.
 
May 7, 2009
1,282
0
0
You will all probably laugh at me if I say Tom Danielson, but what the heck ....
Start laughing :p
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,455
5
0
VeloGirl said:
From http://www.velonews.com

Other big names expected to start include Tom Boonen (Quick Step), Oscar Freire (Rabobank), Philippe Gilbert (Omega Pharma-Lotto) and Filippo Pozzato (Katusha

Tom Boonen will probably not start. He hasn't been racing/training since some idiot made him crash in the Tour de Suisse.
 
Nov 24, 2009
1,602
0
0
Deagol said:
You will all probably laugh at me if I say Tom Danielson, but what the heck ....
Start laughing :p

I think BroDeal will have something to say about you stealing his thunder :rolleyes:

I love the JV comment about Tommy D (paraphrased): Yeah, we'll send him, but I can't predict anything and haven't got a clue what he will do
 
Sep 21, 2009
2,978
0
0
Cerberus said:
I agree, to me Frank has to be the strognest of the guys who didn't ride the Tour (assuming we don't count the first 3 stages). Also the route should be good for him I think with only 45 k ITT.

The question is if he has the time to recover his form in time. Anyone has any idea of how much time one has to to spend off-the-bike waiting for a collarbone fracture to seal?
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,455
5
0
roundabout said:
At least i suppose he can use the home trainer unlike Boonen.

Boonen has to wait 3 -4weeks after his operation till he may touch a bike again. After that he'll have to train/ride for another 3 weeks before even considering the Vuelta.

Now he was operated on July the 15th, so he can resume training again on let's say the 7th of August?

After that he'll need 3 weeks of training/riding races before he can enter the Vuelta. So he'll probably be back in the peloton somewhere around the end of August or start of September.
 
Sep 21, 2009
2,978
0
0
El Pistolero said:
Boonen has to wait 3 -4weeks after his operation till he may touch a bike again. After that he'll have to train/ride for another 3 weeks before even considering the Vuelta.

Now he was operated on July the 15th, so he can resume training again on let's say the 7th of August?

After that he'll need 3 weeks of training/riding races before he can enter the Vuelta. So he'll probably be back in the peloton somewhere around the end of August or start of September.

Too tight for him, I'm afraid. Vuelta starts on the 28th of August.
 
Jun 18, 2009
2,079
2
0
So why in the world would AS do the Vuelta? He's gotta be just wasted after this TDF and I don't think he'll be going for it. It is just to support his brother?
 
Jul 14, 2009
744
0
0
Ryo Hazuki said:
Pound for pound the greatest climber in the world with contador and rujano.

For Soler, your basing this off of one good tour and a couple attacks in the Giro mountains? Is Rujano sarcasm?
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
2
0
ericthesportsman6 said:
For Soler, your basing this off of one good tour and a couple attacks in the Giro mountains? Is Rujano sarcasm?

whenever soler doesn't crash even if he's not in good shape he's always a contender. just look at castilla leon this year.

rujano is arguably the greatest climber in the world. I base that on the vuelta colombia of last year and the giro 2005 when he was barely 23!! his wattage of 8,3 per kg is the highest ever measured in cycling. and like I said what he did in the vuelta colombia last year was unheard of. he was alone on his team, only 1 rider finished along with him, victor moreno and he blasted everyone!

like I said pound for pound the greatest climbers in the world. they have different problems. rujano often has motivational problems which keeps him from racing well, not to mention horrible manager he had on his first stint in europe. he'll be back though I'm sure of(still only 28). for soler his problems lay in the fact that he attracts bad luck. whenever he crashes he breaks something.

still being the best climber in the world doesn't mean you have to always show it. that's why they are the best climbers in the world and not the most succesful climbers in the world. that's a big difference
 
Jul 14, 2009
744
0
0
Ryo Hazuki said:
whenever soler doesn't crash even if he's not in good shape he's always a contender. just look at castilla leon this year.

rujano is arguably the greatest climber in the world. I base that on the vuelta colombia of last year and the giro 2005 when he was barely 23!!
his wattage of 8,3 per kg is the highest ever measured in cycling. and like I said what he did in the vuelta colombia last year was unheard of. he was alone on his team, only 1 rider finished along with him, victor moreno and he blasted everyone!

like I said pound for pound the greatest climbers in the world. they have different problems. rujano often has motivational problems which keeps him from racing well, not to mention horrible manager he had on his first stint in europe. he'll be back though I'm sure of(still only 28). for soler his problems lay in the fact that he attracts bad luck. whenever he crashes he breaks something.

still being the best climber in the world doesn't mean you have to always show it. that's why they are the best climbers in the world and not the most succesful climbers in the world. that's a big difference

Your right about Soler. He's probably among the top 10 or 15 climbers in the world. But we haven't seen him at 100% against fully prepared top competition since the 07 tour, so let's not jump to conclusions. But Rujano being the best climber in the world-no way. The 2005 Giro is 5 years ago, he hasn't done anything in Europe since. He tried to replicate the performance the following years, but failed miserably. I understand winning a race as tough as the Vuelta a Colombia and in the form that he did is impressive, but it doesn't make him the best. As good as the local climbers are in that race, it still isn't the Tour de France. You really need a head to head battle to decide, until then, I don't think Rujano should be considered to be anywhere near Contador's level.