• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Blood Sweat and Gears - CVV interview

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
As for legal argument, thank you to spectacle, but i think it was really just a red herring.
A few interesting points have been raised...is CVV lying? shouldn't he have already known his lactate values, though exactly which one from a 10km TT (maximal tolerance?) I'm not sure.
However more interesting to me is what effect would this have on a career. Would some see it as not real science and take the F*** you ,I'll show you all attitude, or would some as suggested run the course of being a happily paid domestique? Depends on your belief in the science being presented.

It would be interested to see what would happen if the reverse was true, a rider had a physiological test tampered with to make them believe they can win the Tour de France while really it only predicts barely making a continental pro.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
As for legal argument, thank you to spectacle, but i think it was really just a red herring.
A few interesting points have been raised...is CVV lying? shouldn't he have already known his lactate values, though exactly which one from a 10km TT (maximal tolerance?) I'm not sure.
However more interesting to me is what effect would this have on a career. Would some see it as not real science and take the F*** you ,I'll show you all attitude, or would some as suggested run the course of being a happily paid domestique? Depends on your belief in the science being presented.

It would be interested to see what would happen if the reverse was true, a rider had a physiological test tampered with to make them believe they can win the Tour de France while really it only predicts barely making a continental pro.

You guys are just acting dense, right? Like I said, these guys have known this data and variables since they were 17 years old. There's nothing to argue except how bad the acting is.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
You guys are just acting dense, right? Like I said, these guys have known this data and variables since they were 17 years old. There's nothing to argue except how bad the acting is.

CVV aside. So you get to 20 on and never step into a lab or do any work with anything resembling sports science and the first time you do you are told you could be a solid domestique, but no better...do you think you'd fall into that role or push for more?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
CVV aside. So you get to 20 on and never step into a lab or do any work with anything resembling sports science and the first time you do you are told you could be a solid domestique, but no better...do you think you'd fall into that role or push for more?

I've recommended to young guys with pro aspirations to get this information, anyway. Most have and the numbers matched with their performance. Farrar had his at 16 and they were good. Anyone that relies on an outside source to control their work definition and wage deserves what they get.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
I've recommended to young guys with pro aspirations to get this information, anyway. Most have and the numbers matched with their performance. Farrar had his at 16 and they were good. Anyone that relies on an outside source to control their work definition and wage deserves what they get.

Don't bring reality into a hypothetical ;)

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Wait a sec - I can understand doing the test to know what you are.

But - why do it a second time, when its not going to change?

Why do riders do LAC measurements again and again.

Dr. Maserati said:
Wait a sec - I can understand doing the test to know what you are.

But - why do it a second time, when its not going to change?

Why do riders do LAC measurements again and again.

This is what I was trying so hard to explain the other day. The OP had this wrong, lactate thresholds can change dramatically by training at or near your threshold. If you are just beginning to train its not uncommon at all to see your LAC measurement drop by greater than 50% in a span as little as six months.

I realize we got off to a bad start that devolved into me picking on your grammar and I'm sorry I was being douchey. Thats why I kept trying to say that there was 4 or 5 years between these two tests that led to his revelation that he was lied to. Lactate didn't have an international standard then and the equipment evolved a lot over that period of time, from a dilution to a whole blood measurement. I didn't want to debate if he was lied to or not, just that it may have been as simple as hard work and a new test method.

Peace and love, peace and love

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
Lactate didn't have an international standard then and the equipment evolved a lot over that period of time, from a dilution to a whole blood measurement. I didn't want to debate if he was lied to or not, just that it may have been as simple as hard work and a new test method.

Peace and love, peace and love

Glad to have you back.

So when was the LAC test developed, when did the test change, and can you change it only with exercise or other? I don't know the answers to these questions and if you know I'd love to read about it. That would be added value just like your last post. Thank you.

NW

TRENDING THREADS