• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

BMC statement on Frei A EPO positive

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Nick777 said:
A few St Kilda AFL players would be nervous - Brian Waldron is the supposed architect of the Melbourne Storm salary labyrinth.

Not really. Salary limits between codes are no comparison. AFL players like Judd and Ablett can earn 800,000 plus at their club. No NRL club can stay within the limit of 4.1million and offer than kind of money. Riewoldt is St Kilda's big money earner. Demetriou runs a slicker show with the AFL than Gallop does with the NRL. It is why the AFL is expanding into new markets and the Storm have now been delivered an almost fatal blow.

Brain Waldron will almost certainly lose his new job with that start-up Melbourne Union team. The head of News Limited is either a gullible old fool or a liar. He knew or someone under him knew what was going on. Players talk. Everyone knows how much the next guy gets. It is what they are aiming for themselves. They can add 2 and 2 together. High executives at News Limited knew all of this. Hence the CEO apologising is off key. If in the unlikely event he was genuine in his shock and apologies, then it is as I said. Someone else close to him knew and he is a gullible fool. My money is on liar. A well rehearsed liar. Think Enron. Think OneTel. Executives and CEO's always know. They are paid to know.

luckyboy said:
Here are Basso's Hb & HCT results from mid-08 to end-09.

Reticulocytes (%)

Sorry for being so off-topic :eek:

Well done :)

so basically all his markers look pretty normal, although you could prob argue that some of them vary quite a lot in short timeframes, which could then be explained by level of hydration and calibration I guess.

The only one making me think is the reticulocytes. Is that low or normal??

Sometimes off-topic is nice!

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Epicycle said:
And Rhis made him the chief soigneur. That is mind boggling. Fool me once....
Freddy was Floyd's personal soigneur and was too hot for even the staff at Quickstep. As Chris Carmichael said 10 years ago..."There are only four people who really know what's going on with Lance's body: me, Michele (Ferrari), Johan Bruyneel and Freddy."

By hiring Viane, either the management is complicit and endorsing shady practices while keeping the pretense of being clean or are completely clueless. Not sure which one is worse.

JPM London said:
Well done :)

so basically all his markers look pretty normal, although you could prob argue that some of them vary quite a lot in short timeframes, which could then be explained by level of hydration and calibration I guess.

The only one making me think is the reticulocytes. Is that low or normal??

Sometimes off-topic is nice!
Retics is a little low. It would be good if we saw the off -score chart. I think we need a different scale for the retics.

I think retics was the key. I have heard that this parameter should be very stable.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Not really. Salary limits between codes are no comparison. AFL players like Judd and Ablett can earn 800,000 plus at their club. No NRL club can stay within the limit of 4.1million and offer than kind of money. Riewoldt is St Kilda's big money earner. Demetriou runs a slicker show with the AFL than Gallop does with the NRL. It is why the AFL is expanding into new markets and the Storm have now been delivered an almost fatal blow.

Brain Waldron will almost certainly lose his new job with that start-up Melbourne Union team. The head of News Limited is either a gullible old fool or a liar. He knew or someone under him knew what was going on. Players talk. Everyone knows how much the next guy gets. It is what they are aiming for themselves. They can add 2 and 2 together. High executives at News Limited knew all of this. Hence the CEO apologising is off key. If in the unlikely event he was genuine in his shock and apologies, then it is as I said. Someone else close to him knew and he is a gullible fool. My money is on liar. A well rehearsed liar. Think Enron. Think OneTel. Executives and CEO's always know. They are paid to know.

I think Waldron leaving Australia ASAP might be a smart move. Before the AFP and ATO knock on his door.

If Evans Could Jump Ship Now, it would be to go where?

Mellow Velo said:
You are right, BMC are not Lampre...............they are Phonak.
I'd guess their wildcards are OK for the moment, but on a knife edge.
One more whiff and it won't matter where the bad smell omes from.
I'm more concerned that Cadel's mountain domestiques just took a major hit.
TF looked good in the Dolomites, yesterday. I watched the stage last night.
Now he's a gonna, before they've even started.

Thoughts on whether or not Evans' mgmt was smart enough to get a Contador-like "Escape" clause written into the contract that allows him to bail out in a truly dire team situation (like that which is creeping upon us) and ride the Giro in a properly-flash WC kit? ... Probably not.

BUT! :) Let's assume he did (have a get-out-of-the-Phonak-redux clause) - which team would be the next-best-fit for him? And make the assumption that the team can find a mid-season sponsor to pay the costs of acquiring Evans...

Lampre, where he'd ride alongside Simoni and Cunego (lol at that one - actually, it would be cool, since Cunego is admittedly not targeting the GC, and Simoni is just hoping to be able to buy a stage win and not retire embarrassed)?

15-PIC71592669.jpg

What about joining Caruso at Katusha?

Or replacing Menchov at Rabo'?

80-PIC71685984.jpg

HTC?

Ahhh, gratuitous Yolanthe Cabau van Kasbergen photo...

70-model-PIC71558781.jpg

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
2beacoup said:
http://twitter.com/bradwiggins/status/12625753630: "I wonder if the UCI will make an example now of this Thomas Frei or will he like Ricco et al be back racing next year in new colours?" :rolleyes:

What was Mr. Clean smokin?

Same junk as usual. The guy is a tool. Perhaps he forgot he had a Ricco type transformation last year. I can't wait for the **** to choke. It will be priceless. I and many others will be in hysterics when it happens.

Galic Ho said:

Sorry, but you are wrong. It doesnt matter what the salary cap is. Clubs will always have to resort to dodgy ways of keeping/gaining players.
Chris Judd is only at Carlton FC because of the huge 'endorsement' deal that he got with Visy. Who was the president at Carlton? Richard Pratt.
What are Geelong doing right now? The whole town is trying to find a way of 'sponsoring' Gary Ablett into staying.
St Kilda had other players on huge money at the time, e.g Gherig, Hamill and many around the AFL wondered how they were affording it.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Nick777 said:
Sorry, but you are wrong. It doesnt matter what the salary cap is. Clubs will always have to resort to dodgy ways of keeping/gaining players.
Chris Judd is only at Carlton FC because of the huge 'endorsement' deal that he got with Visy. Who was the president at Carlton? Richard Pratt.
What are Geelong doing right now? The whole town is trying to find a way of 'sponsoring' Gary Ablett into staying.
St Kilda had other players on huge money at the time, e.g Gherig, Hamill and many around the AFL wondered how they were affording it.

+1
Exactly right. I am interested how geelong and StKilda are able to keep all those star players in their sides. Something must be going on there.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
joe_papp said:
Thoughts on whether or not Evans' mgmt was smart enough to get a Contador-like "Escape" clause written into the contract that allows him to bail out in a truly dire team situation (like that which is creeping upon us) and ride the Giro in a properly-flash WC kit? ... Probably not.

BUT! :) Let's assume he did (have a get-out-of-the-Phonak-redux clause) - which team would be the next-best-fit for him? And make the assumption that the team can find a mid-season sponsor to pay the costs of acquiring Evans...

Lampre, where he'd ride alongside Simoni and Cunego (lol at that one - actually, it would be cool, since Cunego is admittedly not targeting the GC, and Simoni is just hoping to be able to buy a stage win and not retire embarrassed)?

15-PIC71592669.jpg

What about joining Caruso at Katusha?

Or replacing Menchov at Rabo'?

80-PIC71685984.jpg

HTC?

Ahhh, gratuitous Yolanthe Cabau van Kasbergen photo...

70-model-PIC71558781.jpg

The more pictures of Yolanthe the better IMO.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Thomas Frei has admitted that he used EPO, to his team management.

He has been sacked by BMC - but they thanked him for his "honesty to confess his failure". BMC were also at pains to say Frei had acted alone.

This is on the same day that BMC have said they want to apply for a ProTour licence and Andy Rihs made this comment...
"Thomas made a huge mistake,” Rihs said frankly. “Doping has become very individual. But with the very good checks done by the Swiss Olympic Committee, he had no chance of getting away with it. In his place, I would not even request the analysis of sample B and I’d just say I’m sorry.”

It begs the questions - did Thomas take one for the team? If so did
he fall on his own sword or was he pushed?

Will the UCI even look at the application of BMC (Phonak 2.0)? (Sadly i think i know the answer to that...)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I think the most telling part of his confession is that he said that all he would have had to do to avoid the positive is drink a litre of water. That is how easy it is to get around the controls.

Jamsque said:
I think the most telling part of his confession is that he said that all he would have had to do to avoid the positive is drink a litre of water. That is how easy it is to get around the controls.

Yes. I had no idea it was that straightforward. Explains now why the UCI were banging on Saxo's doors so early before ... was it Amstel or Flèche Wallonne, I forget.

Not that I'm casting aspersions on Saxo, just underlining the earlyness of the wake-up call, because I didn't know before why it was so early.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
So two years of doping and the only reason he gets tagged is because he forgot to drink a big glass of water before bed. Wow. If this doesn't make a mockery of the "never tested positive" line, I don't know what does.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Kennf1 said:
So two years of doping and the only reason he gets tagged is because he forgot to drink a big glass of water before bed. Wow. If this doesn't make a mockery of the "never tested positive" line, I don't know what does.
You can drink a lot of water while making the AFLD guy wait outside while you "take a shower". ;)

TRENDING THREADS