• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

BMC statement on Frei A EPO positive

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
joe_papp said:
I'm not surprised that he articulates a feeling of relief at being caught, almost a liberation. [....]

Yes, that part stood out as well. To me it seemed as if he was saying that once you have gone down that path, there is no way back, almost - as you highlighted the behavior of an addict maybe? - wanting or hoping to find a way out. The temptations and the stakes seemed to be too high, income, fame, reputation...(perhaps even the kick that you can get away wit it?) Only a positive test would pull the rug from under his feet.

On the other hand, I think it's very individual. He for example also stated that he was 'not very professional', because he told his friends, his inner circle, 'otherwise it would have torn him'.

Das war unprofessionell. Professionell sind solche Fahrer, bei denen nicht einmal die Ehefrau etwas weiss. Aber das konnte ich nicht. Ich musste reden, sonst hätte es mich zerrissen.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
joe_papp said:
Irrespective of my involvement in trafficking EPO, depending on where you are in the world, it can either be very difficult or very easy to buy.

In the USA, for example, it is not easy to buy because you can't just walk into a pharmacy and get it. You have to buy it on the black market or import it from somewhere else. Likewise, it's very difficult to obtain in Italy, and can only be had on the black market, or from corrupt pharmacists or hospital staff (which I'd consider black market). If you actually need EPO b/c you're going through chemo, it's not likely that you could be racing a bike at the same time, or that you'd be willing to divert your EPO to your cousin the bike racer, because you'd need it just to function. So, that takes us back to black market or importation.

No TUE for EPO b/c anyone using it for legit medical needs isn't going to be racing...

That said, in Brazil or Chile or Russia or Switzerland, you can simply buy it from a pharmacy.

That's interesting because when Heras got busted, I read an article in Cycle Sport magazine, and in the article they included a story of a Spanish journalist who was able to go to different pharmacies and, bar one or two, he had no problems buying EPO over the counter, not even with a script.

craig1985 said:
That's interesting because when Heras got busted, I read an article in Cycle Sport magazine, and in the article they included a story of a Spanish journalist who was able to go to different pharmacies and, bar one or two, he had no problems buying EPO over the counter, not even with a script.

"In Spain, you could tape EPO syringes to your windshield and no one would stop. In France you couldn’t do that any more." - Jörg Jaksche

Roland Rat said:
Joe, given your comparison to an addiction, do you believe it's possible for a former doper to return clean and stay clean? I've no doubt many return intending to be clean, but when the old temptations start coming....

Great question. I think the more natural class a rider has, the easier it must be to return to competition w/o doping because there is already a significant capability to perform. But the less genetically-gifted the rider, and the more dependent they were on doping in order to be competitive at their previous level, perhaps the greater the risk? (just my opinion/speculation)

Cerberus said:
He's not implying anything. He is clearly stating that there is tacit acceptance, but not organized doping. And he's probably telling the truth. If he was walking the company line he wouldn't have said anything about tacit acceptance.
I'll be honest with you, but I read that again and it sounded like he was being doped by a Doctor. The same Doctor that was helping him with his regeneration injections. But if what Bala Verde is correct then I am wrong. In that case it looks like a poor translation from CN.:eek:

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Thomas Frei comments!

Just joined this forum. Cannot sit back and read anymore dopers comments without responding. Thomas Frei only seems to have one regret, that he got caught! His statement that everyone does it disgusts me to no end. For every clean amateur out there who would love to be a pro there is a jerk like him squashing that dream. As a father who is supporting a son's dream to move up the ranks, I wish this sport would truly get it's act together and completely clean house and not just with two year suspensions.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I am so sorry JP. As a racer in the 70s I realised that cycling was... ahem.. enhanced.

As a parent I try to guide my child as best as possible.

I as an old man with 10 + 11 year old sons who are athletic, participate in sport study sport as I do I point out the dopers to them. It is the best I can do....Fred Taylor

Doping has crossed into all sports. Its a drag getting old and having the wisdom to know doping is wrong and not being able to stop it.

Always keep lines of communication open with your children.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
I'll be honest with you, but I read that again and it sounded like he was being doped by a Doctor. The same Doctor that was helping him with his regeneration injections. But if what Bala Verde is correct then I am wrong. In that case it looks like a poor translation from CN.:eek:

I don't read it that way, I thinkthis quote strongly implices tacit, but only tacit acceptance.

"I am not a victim. It was my decision to dope. I can assure you, I have never (been) told by a boss to dope, but I have also never experienced a rider being asked why he suddenly became so fast"

Still I can see how the injection quote could be read as active participation from the team. I also think I read another article where his denial of team participation was more clear though I can't seem to find it right now.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
jpfromb said:
Thomas Frei only seems to have one regret, that he got caught!

Nothing new there.

For every clean amateur out there who would love to be a pro there is a jerk like him squashing that dream.
I think you unwittingly hit on the sum of it. If you want to be pro, you face a Faustian dilemma.

As a father who is supporting a son's dream to move up the ranks, I wish this sport would truly get it's act together and completely clean house and not just with two year suspensions.

Hope your kids make the choice a lot of good people aren't prepared to make.

His statement that everyone does it disgusts me to no end.

Why? Because you don't want it to be true? I think there are clean riders, but I doubt he's too far off the mark.

FWIW, I'm glad Frei was so open. I also glad he was caught.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Thomas Frei and other cheats

Yes, He's a drug cheat. And so he should be kicked out of the sport - although he's leaving of his own accord.
I still have respect for this guy though. He fully has taken responsibility for his action. He has been so frank as to say he would have kept on doping if not caught, and taken a bigger pay packet.
What he did was wrong. He knows it, and accepts it. - Good luck with whatever he does in the future.
UNLIKE some of those people who denied everything, and was guilty and they knew it. They served their time, and pretend butter wouldnt melt in their mouths.. and wonder why people BOO them when they win a race.. sound familiar?
Or be so hypocrytical as to deny, admit, dob, then dump his pregnant partner, when she falls foul..
The list goes on with these pathetic guys...

I hope this hasnt become the era of get caught doping, server your penalty, and come back like you sat out a week for striking!!
If so, the penalties must become much harsher, to the point, we DONT WANT THEM BACK.

jpfromb said:
Just joined this forum. Cannot sit back and read anymore dopers comments without responding. Thomas Frei only seems to have one regret, that he got caught! His statement that everyone does it disgusts me to no end. For every clean amateur out there who would love to be a pro there is a jerk like him squashing that dream. As a father who is supporting a son's dream to move up the ranks, I wish this sport would truly get it's act together and completely clean house and not just with two year suspensions.

It doen't matter how long the suspensions for riders are, they can always get more riders. Pro cycling can only ever stand a chance of being clean if they can get rid of the facilitators, the doctors who run doping cells, the team managers who either help organise it or at the very least turn a blind eye to it until their guy gets caught, and last but far from least the international governing body who cares only for a sport that "looks clean". Attacking only the riders is like trying to solve the drug problem in the US by trying to arrest all the customers while ignoring the importation channels. The fact is that is what we have always done there and we are no closer to solving that than we were when we started.

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
jpfromb said:

Ya, you should pick a new sport for your children to compete in....Oh wait, every sport is dominated by doping and cheating! At least cycling has programs in place to monitor riders and attempts to catch a rider every so often to remind us rather than a press conference.

Thomas Frei only seems to have one regret, that he got caught!

Thats usually how it goes when you cheat....

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
jpfromb said:

And how much does his actions taint those around him?

All that can be done is encourage those growing up and moving through the sport the benefits of being clean. Maybe the UCi need to consider it a requirement for all professional riders to undertake a MANDITORY information session about the consequences of doping (both professionally and personally to themselves and those around them) to obtain their license and then on a regular basis. Maybe through some appropriate bodies appointed in conjunction with WADA.

It may get the message through of all the consequences.

However as they say the drug cheats are ahead of the testers and it takes mistakes to get caught. At lease Frei, when caught decided not to drag the process out, and deal with it (not like some e.g. Landis).

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
What are those legal injections he's talking about that are used for recovery?

I have a friend who was gonna get signed to a team but apparently I was told the team checks the riders Iron levels and if they are to low they don't get picked to ride races. You can take Iron supplements I believe but anything injected is illegal as far as I know but as far as Ive been told most riders will use injections anyways because they effect the body faster.

I don't have any knowledge in this are but I found it extremely interesting hearing something along those lines.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
joe_papp said:
Specific Gravity (and pH) are checked during the sample collection process by the Doping Control Officer as a "field check" l
joe as far as i know pH is no longer required..i will check again

@others
the 'lega'l injections frei mentioned were vitamins, nutrients, glycogen and magnesium (the glycogen is probably a mistake by a reporter as the injection would normally be a glucose - the transportable form of blood sugar - and glycogen is the bio-storage form of sugar made in the body).

@bala
there were several threads on the legality of injections. again, as far as i recall, if the injection is an IV it's outright banned in all cases except the medical necessity. in other cases, it depends on the size of the needle. note that joe mentioned a self-administered iv so to stick an epo syringe in the **** is a child's play for a seasoned doper.

edit (after reading other posts on "organised" doping)
frei clearly states there was no team-wide practice. but this can not be extended to all teams (imo). i think it differs from team to team though i'll accept that most pt teams management have become sensitive to public pressure and potential scandals.

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Pretty much. Except for naming everyone he could.

Although I would like a rider to, its hard to ever expect him to. The only people he knows who dope are the only people who know he doped. You can't turn on your closest friends just like that. After getting caught I would assume you would want anyone you consider a friend who could help you with the situation.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
danjo007 said:
Yes, He's a drug cheat. And so he should be kicked out of the sport - although he's leaving of his own accord.
I still have respect for this guy though. He fully has taken responsibility for his action. He has been so frank as to say he would have kept on doping if not caught, and taken a bigger pay packet.
What he did was wrong. He knows it, and accepts it. - Good luck with whatever he does in the future.
UNLIKE some of those people who denied everything, and was guilty and they knew it. They served their time, and pretend butter wouldnt melt in their mouths.. and wonder why people BOO them when they win a race.. sound familiar?
Or be so hypocrytical as to deny, admit, dob, then dump his pregnant partner, when she falls foul..
The list goes on with these pathetic guys...

I hope this hasnt become the era of get caught doping, server your penalty, and come back like you sat out a week for striking!!
If so, the penalties must become much harsher, to the point, we DONT WANT THEM BACK.

He's only upfront about because he was caught. He is not sorry because he got caught but because he doped.

Frei was honest about his dishonesty. This means he has thrown his cycling career in the toilet.

He should have denied doping, hired a bunch of lawyers to obfuscate the process, then won some races after serving his suspension to prove that in fact he was previously clean and to gain the respect of his peers, the UCI, and cycling fans everywhere.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
frenchfry said:
Frei was honest about his dishonesty. This means he has thrown his cycling career in the toilet.

He should have denied doping, hired a bunch of lawyers to obfuscate the process, then won some races after serving his suspension to prove that in fact he was previously clean and to gain the respect of his peers, the UCI, and cycling fans everywhere.

After reading Frei's story, I can reluctantly agree with this. If I read correctly, his salary when riding clean was significant. Should a team would be willing to offer him something similar after his suspension, he could ride with a clear conscience and for good money.

Perhaps this is an indication why riders don't usually confess when they get caught; it makes it impossible to ride even without doping.

One pattern I see is that the confessions are often done by German-speaking riders: Jaksche, Sinkewitz, Kohl, etc.