• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Boxing

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ward ekes out a very close UD. It was really two fights. Kovalev dominated through most of the first six rounds, knocking Ward down once. Then Ward, faced with basically needing to win every round after that, absent a KO, more or less did that. I have the feeling that Ward’s ring rust—just five fights in the past five years—contributed to his slow start, and that if he had been more active recently, this fight might not have been close. He needs to keep fighting, maybe beginning with a rematch in a few months.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Good fight.

Ward recovered well. I feel the judges got it right.

A lot of the American journos were mainly saying Kovalev won. Malignaggi on Sky called it after round 8 when it was pointed out Dan Rafael had Kovalev 6 ahead by then, they score by pressure alone and not how effective it is. He said he wasn't surprised to see them score it that way. The others on Sky also had it for Ward too.

Great character by Ward to comeback from that knock down.

Listening to Ward, we should get a rematch.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Yes, good call. He hung them up at the right time.

I should have listed him. I've always felt that Lennox, like Larry Holmes, belong in the top 10 all-time HW. The fact they didn't have great competition for some of those years wasn't their fault.
Yes, both Lennox and Larry Holmes belong in the top 10, they pretty much fought everyone (Lennox only beat Riddick Bowe in an amateur fight, but instead of fighting him the guy dropped his belt), you can't really name 10 HW boxers that deserve to be ranked above them.
Back to Ward vs. Kovalev, it was a good, close fight and I think that the judges got it right.
I wouldn't mind to see a rematch in a few months.

Re: Re:

Irondan said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
51 years old, wow.

Roy Jones almost as old, scheduled to fight next year.

I have to think these guys run the risk of being the next Greg Page.
But they have visions of George Foreman and sugar plums in their eyes....

They run the risk of being knocked out of the sport a la Bernard Hopkins style, very embarrassing... :eek:

Foreman was one of the lucky ones. He never had that many fights before his first retirement and never got beaten up. Even the Ali fight was exhaustion ending in Ali hitting him with about six good punches. He was never involved in slug fests cause most of his fights he ended in the early rounds. Maybe a few of his last fights he took some punishment. People like Chavez, Duran and co had constant slug fests.

movingtarget said:
Irondan said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
51 years old, wow.

They run the risk of being knocked out of the sport a la Bernard Hopkins style, very embarrassing... :eek:

Foreman was one of the lucky ones. He never had that many fights before his first retirement and never got beaten up. Even the Ali fight was exhaustion ending in Ali hitting him with about six good punches. He was never involved in slug fests cause most of his fights he ended in the early rounds. Maybe a few of his last fights he took some punishment. People like Chavez, Duran and co had constant slug fests.

I think the fight vs Lyle qualifies.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
51 years old, wow.

Roy ones Jr. is now a Russian Citizen and blacklised by Ukraine over aa Crimea visit, that's rather bizarre.
Hopkins was still really impressive in his 40ies, he was 46 when he beat Jean Pascal, 49 when he beat Beibut Shumenov and he was amost 50 years old when he went 12 rounds with Sergey Kovalev (IMO that's the fig thatruined him, that fight should hae been stopped earlier, Hopkins took too much damage), compar that to the trainwreck that is Roy ones Jr.'s later career.
Well, we still have Carl Froch who quit at the right time after KOing Groves in front of 80,000 people at Wembley in one of the most anticipated remtches in reccent history (their first fight was a modern classic).

kingjr said:
movingtarget said:
Irondan said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
51 years old, wow.

I think the fight vs Lyle qualifies.

Never saw that fight but Lyle was a good fighter. Will have to track it down.

Mayomaniac said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
51 years old, wow.

Roy ones Jr. is now a Russian Citizen and blacklised by Ukraine over aa Crimea visit, that's rather bizarre.
Hopkins was still really impressive in his 40ies, he was 46 when he beat Jean Pascal, 49 when he beat Beibut Shumenov and he was amost 50 years old when he went 12 rounds with Sergey Kovalev (IMO that's the fig thatruined him, that fight should hae been stopped earlier, Hopkins took too much damage), compar that to the trainwreck that is Roy ones Jr.'s later career.
Well, we still have Carl Froch who quit at the right time after KOing Groves in front of 80,000 people at Wembley in one of the most anticipated remtches in reccent history (their first fight was a modern classic).

Sure there are some good fighters around still at that age but I don't believe they should be able to hold a license. If boxing authorities are serious about the health of the fighters or trying to minimize risk I think 40 is more than old enough as an end date.

movingtarget said:
Holy smokes! Are you serious?!? One of the most brutal, power punching slugfests in boxing history! The stare down alone is worth the price of admission!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8AVcEyyMco

I agree the young Foreman was never beat up, completely agree with the analysis on the Ali fight, and his aging.

Alpe d'Huez said:
movingtarget said:
Holy smokes! Are you serious?!? One of the most brutal, power punching slugfests in boxing history! The stare down alone is worth the price of admission!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8AVcEyyMco

I agree the young Foreman was never beat up, completely agree with the analysis on the Ali fight, and his aging.

Thanks a lot for that.

Money talks, and then some.

Connor McGregor is making all sorts of noise about how the MMA loudmouth tough guy now is a professional boxer, and wants to take on Floyd Mayweather. No, not MMA style, but in boxing, squared circle, 8 oz padded gloves, pugilism. That kind of boxing.

He'd lose. Badly. As in, picked apart, toyed with, beat up, and KTFO in a matter of rounds.

I've been as critical of the way Floyd picked and chose who he fought in order to keep a perfect record, and it robbed him of being as great as he truly could have been. But make no mistake here, even retired, even aging, Floyd is still one of the very best fighters in the world, and one of the better fighters in history. He has incredible ring skills, defense, and punching precision, coupled with speed. McGregor is not even ranked in the top 10, and may not even be in the top 100 in his weight class. In fact any top 10 fighter at 147/155 would beat him easily in a boxing match. Contender Chris Van Heerden was not in fighting shape, tired and jet lagged and sparred with McGregor, and considered it easy work.

But hey, if Floyd wants an easy paycheck, and another notch in his perfect record, I'm sure he'd be more than welcome beating a loudmouth sub par boxer, letting us know it's all legit and valid.

http://boxingjunkie.usatoday.com/2017/01/07/chris-van-heerden-conor-mcgregor-was-easy-work-in-sparring/

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
The guy just wants to get a once in a lifetime payday against Floyd, nobody who knows at least a bit about boxing should take him serious as a boxer, he has great boxing for MMA standarts, but good professional boxers are in another league.
Something completely different, how's your take on the Anthony Joshua vs. Wladimir Klitschko fight?
If he's not totally shoot I have to pick Wladmir, even if his footspeed is not what it has been he still has his jab and his power (his lead hook is a great punch and probably a bit underrated). For me AJ is not proven enough, he has a ton of power and is a good combination puncher, but I don't know if he has the footwork and the defensive skills to bet Wladimir. Overall I have to say that I don't really care that much about today's HW scene, the division is getting better, but there are just too many fighters who have bad cardio and aren't exactly in great shape and I feel sorry for a the great fighters at CW who don't get the money and fame that they'd deserve.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
The guy just wants to get a once in a lifetime payday against Floyd, nobody who knows at least a bit about boxing should take him serious as a boxer, he has great boxing for MMA standarts, but good professional boxers are in another league.
Something completely different, how's your take on the Anthony Joshua vs. Wladimir Klitschko fight?
If he's not totally shoot I have to pick Wladmir, even if his footspeed is not what it has been he still has his jab and his power (his lead hook is a great punch and probably a bit underrated). For me AJ is not proven enough, he has a ton of power and is a good combination puncher, but I don't know if he has the footwork and the defensive skills to bet Wladimir. Overall I have to say that I don't really care that much about today's HW scene, the division is getting better, but there are just too many fighters who have bad cardio and aren't exactly in great shape and I feel sorry for a the great fighters at CW who don't get the money and fame that they'd deserve.

Yes under standard boxing rules he has no chance at all.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Money talks, and then some.

Connor McGregor is making all sorts of noise about how the MMA loudmouth tough guy now is a professional boxer, and wants to take on Floyd Mayweather. No, not MMA style, but in boxing, squared circle, 8 oz padded gloves, pugilism. That kind of boxing.

He'd lose. Badly. As in, picked apart, toyed with, beat up, and KTFO in a matter of rounds.

I've been as critical of the way Floyd picked and chose who he fought in order to keep a perfect record, and it robbed him of being as great as he truly could have been. But make no mistake here, even retired, even aging, Floyd is still one of the very best fighters in the world, and one of the better fighters in history. He has incredible ring skills, defense, and punching precision, coupled with speed. McGregor is not even ranked in the top 10, and may not even be in the top 100 in his weight class. In fact any top 10 fighter at 147/155 would beat him easily in a boxing match. Contender Chris Van Heerden was not in fighting shape, tired and jet lagged and sparred with McGregor, and considered it easy work.

But hey, if Floyd wants an easy paycheck, and another notch in his perfect record, I'm sure he'd be more than welcome beating a loudmouth sub par boxer, letting us know it's all legit and valid.

http://boxingjunkie.usatoday.com/2017/01/07/chris-van-heerden-conor-mcgregor-was-easy-work-in-sparring/

I was watching the Frampton v Santa Cruz on Saturday night and Floyd was interviewed ringside on Sky. By listening to him then, this is likely happening.

I hope not, it would be unbearable listening to these two in the months leading up to the fight. It's a McGregor payday too. What he gets for a UFC fight would probably pale into significance compared to if this transpires. He knows he would be easy work for Floyd but then McGregor all he talks about is money, something other UFC fighters like Rousey and Dan Hardy don't like.

It will be a schooling, a fraud of an event.

On Frampton's fight, Santa Cruz boxed well from a distance and Frampton had trouble getting inside. He rarely went on the offence knowing Frampton as very good on the counter. A complete contrast to the first fight where he engaged more. It looks like a third fight on the card and Belfast is already talked about.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Just a few days away from Anthony Joshua vs Wladimir Klitschko and my opinion hasnt really changed.
Mayomaniac said:
If he's not totally shoot I have to pick Wladmir, even if his footspeed is not what it has been he still has his jab and his power (his lead hook is a great punch and probably a bit underrated). For me Joshua is not proven enough, he has a ton of power and is a good combination puncher, but I don't know if he has the footwork and the defensive skills to bet Wladimir. Overall I have to say that I don't really care that much about today's HW scene, the division is getting better, but there are just too many fighters who have bad cardio and aren't exactly in great shape and I feel sorry for a the great fighters at CW who don't get the money and fame that they'd deserve.

Really good article. Lots of quotes in there.

Regarding Joshua beating Klitschko, the one thing that came to my mind was how much heart Klitschko showed. I have argued for some time he's just used his size to stall tactics and defeat a weak crop of opponents, but when he got really pushed and hammered here, he did all he could to fight back, and continue on. It made me think if this was 5 years ago, even if Joshua would have floored him then, he would have been able to continue, and win in a way we never saw him have to fight.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Really good article. Lots of quotes in there.

Regarding Joshua beating Klitschko, the one thing that came to my mind was how much heart Klitschko showed. I have argued for some time he's just used his size to stall tactics and defeat a weak crop of opponents, but when he got really pushed and hammered here, he did all he could to fight back, and continue on. It made me think if this was 5 years ago, even if Joshua would have floored him then, he would have been able to continue, and win in a way we never saw him have to fight.

Well I still think the horse story is an urban myth unless the horse had a glass jaw !

TRENDING THREADS