• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Breaking News Contador May Quit

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
Could be that he quits, but I doubt it would be permanent. Maybe for 2 years or so, until a team with a "completely different approach" (and a big fat paycheck) comes along (most likely Movistar) and then Conti will be more than happy to start over new!

If Alberto had taken my advice on the forum he never would have the problem he has now.

My advice was to sit out this season, crack a beer and watch the races on TV while reclining on the lazy-boy.

Honoring his contract with Astana was an epic fail in good judgement by Alberto. After all the problems with Astana such as not paying their riders,and Vino kicking out Bruyneel he could have taken the year off and made a nice fresh start with a new team.

I do not know what Alberto was thinking. Perhaps he was not thinking?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Mich78BEL said:
i don't know if i would say he's mentally weak but he doesn't seem to have that killer instinct, that all consuming drive to be the best like some of the all time greats have had (not just talking about cycling but sports in general), people who achieve the greatest results in sports are usually not just very talented but also incredibely driven (people like Michael Jordan, Merckx, Nadal)and usually assholes as well

I can get where you're coming from, but don't agree at all. Contador only cares for the overall classification and he'll do anything to win it. He sees stage wins as an extra bonus, but probably is not too concerned about it.

What more killer instinct do you want, he attacked the Yellow Jersey even after his chain fell off. Contador perhaps has the most killer instinct from all the GT contenders.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
Contador is mentally weak. All the crybaby stuff about how he was mis-treated by Armstrong/Bruyneel. Come on Alberto showed how strong he was when he smoked the field on the first signifigent climb. 2009 race over at that point.

Secondly he never ever should have apologized on You-tube to Andy. weakness. arm and arm with Andy on a mountain top finish, weakness.

Now threatening to quit when he can have a nice 2 year vacation in Spain with his girlfriend. He can even pal around the med with vaLV-PITI.

What could be finer, why quit now Alberto?

Contador didn't cry at all during the Tour. He stayed calm throughout the race and didn't give a **** about Armstrong and his midgets.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
What more killer instinct do you want, he attacked the Yellow Jersey even after his chain fell off. Contador perhaps has the most killer instinct from all the GT contenders.

He didn't attack after the chain fell off. AS jumped him, then dropped his chain. Fair enough... Although he later gave him the victory. I'd rather see a little more viciousness. It is bike racing, afterall, and I can't think of another sport that lets you be as systemically cruel as cycling. That's what we're talking about.

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I can get where you're coming from, but don't agree at all. Contador only cares for the overall classification and he'll do anything to win it. He sees stage wins as an extra bonus, but probably is not too concerned about it.

What more killer instinct do you want

to me thats not killer instinct, thats riding defensively, doing just enough to win, to me killer instinct in cycling is winning everything you can win and not leaving anything for anybody else and preferably win with a lot of panache, totally dominating if you will, Contador doesn't to that imo though off course maybe it ain't possible in the current peloton

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
Stand by your man, way to go!

No, you just didn't watch the Tour of 2009. Simple as that. Contador wasn't crying or whining.

We know you hate Contador already, but let's keep it realistic instead of making things up.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
No, you just didn't watch the Tour of 2009. Simple as that. Contador wasn't crying or whining.

I guess you havn't been reading the forums here for the inside scoop on the '09 tour. Those big meanies Lance and Johann were very mean and hurtful to Alberto. It could be the haters here were just making all that up though. I wasn't actually there.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
I guess you havn't been reading the forums here for the inside scoop on the '09 tour. Those big meanies Lance and Johann were very mean and hurtful to Alberto. It could be the haters here were just making all that up though. I wasn't actually there.

You really are an idiot. Since when is what the people on this forum say about Lance and Bruyneel what Contador said?

Contador remained quiet throughout all interviews during the Tour of 2009. Like I said, start watching it instead of making things up.

I'm one of the only people on this forum that defends Armstrong from time to time, but boy, you're living in a fantasy world.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
You really are an idiot. Since when is what the people on this forum say about Lance and Bruyneel what Contador said?

Contador remained quiet throughout all interviews during the Tour of 2009. Like I said, start watching it instead of making things up.

I'm one of the only people on this forum that defends Armstrong from time to time, but boy, you're living in a fantasy world.

Sorry. I think I read Alberto complaining about the psycological damage Bruyneel and Armstrong caused to him during the 09 tour. I got a charge from Albertos' sensitivity.

El Pistolero said:

I'm on your side here. I was totally impressed how Contador handled the 2009 Tour. Others have raised mental weakness, get real FFS, if half of the crap he had to deal with during that Tour is correct. A young Spaniard with b*lls took on and took out the Establishment and, in my view, done it with class and dignity in tact. Including post Tour comments.

And as for not having a winners instinct, as another has claimed, well I give you 5 Tours out of 5.

That's likely to be 4 out of 5 soon and that I have to say has changed my feelings for him but I am still a fan, although now, a disappointed one. And unfortunately not a surprised one.

I'm also a big Schleck fan and am dreading the day I check out CN and...

flicker said:

Nevermind I forgot.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

You guys better get a grip. Contador rode around Schleck when his chain fell off because the action was up the road and nothing more. Once there he did what he was paid to do and that was ride to maintain his gap. Contador has proven he can win other races but he's disciplined enough to win the One that puts Steak on the Table.