• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

British Doctor claims he doped 150 sports stars including Br

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
UKAD was aware of Bonar already, but were not able to nail him, according to The Telegraph: "Britain’s anti-doping agency first became aware of the 38-year-old in 2014 after imposing a ban on a sportsman who sought to reduce his suspension by offering to turn whistle-blower.

The athlete raised allegations against Dr Bonar but was unable to provide enough evidence for UKAD to take further action under its existing powers, which are limited to the world of sport. It also decided not to share the unsubstantiated information it had been given with the GMC, although it is understood the whistle-blower was encouraged to do so. The failure of any authority to follow up the case may prove controversial following The Sunday Times sting.
Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2016/04/02/premier-league-stars-given-banned-drugs-by-british-doctor/

Re: British Doctor claims he doped 150 sports stars includin

Well there have only been 16 British Tour de France cyclists since 2010 so the pool of potential names isn't that big.

That leaked UCI suspicion list had Jeremy Hunt with a 7, Geraint Thomas a 6, Wiggins with a 5, Millar a 4, Wegelius a 3, Cavendish and Cummings both scored a 2 and Daniel Lloyd a 1.

It has to be said the Brits were pretty dodgy overall. Most of the Tour riders were in the 0-1 range indicating very low suspicion. Geraint Thomas and Wiggins were both up there with some ''interesting'' names. ;)

Of course that list was for the 2010 Tour and apparently the doping with this doctor started in 2010 so it might not be that relevant.

Here it is:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ucis-suspicious-list-leaked-from-2010-tour-de-france/

Other Brits who have ridden the Tour since 2010: Froome, Swift, Stannard, Rowe, Yates x 2, Kennaugh, Dowsett

People will automatically assume Froome is involved but I think that's silly considering Froome has never been based in the UK during his cycling career and this doctor ran his clinic from central London. In fact there are some claims that the 2012 Olympic road race was the first time Froome had stepped foot on UK soil!

JRanton said:
Well there have only been 16 British Tour de France cyclists since 2010 so the pool of potential names isn't that big.

That leaked UCI suspicion list had Jeremy Hunt with a 7, Geraint Thomas a 6, Wiggins with a 5, Millar a 4, Wegelius a 3, Cavendish and Cummings both scored a 2 and Daniel Lloyd a 1.

It has to be said the Brits were pretty dodgy overall. Most of the Tour riders were in the 0-1 range indicating very low suspicion. Geraint Thomas and Wiggins were both up there with some ''interesting'' names. ;)

Of course that list was for the 2010 Tour and apparently the doping with this doctor started in 2010 so it might not be that relevant.

Here it is:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ucis-suspicious-list-leaked-from-2010-tour-de-france/

Other Brits who have ridden the Tour since 2010: Froome, Swift, Stannard, Rowe, Yates x 2, Kennaugh, Dowsett

People will automatically assume Froome is involved but I think that's silly considering Froome has never been based in the UK during his cycling career and this doctor ran his clinic from central London. In fact there are some claims that the 2012 Olympic road race was the first time Froome had stepped foot on UK soil!

Froome rode the Olympic test race in the UK one week before his transformation in the 2011 Vuelta. Must have been something in the water he drank in Manchester :rolleyes:

thehog said:
JRanton said:

Here it is:

Froome rode the Olympic test race in the UK one week before his transformation in the 2011 Vuelta. Must have been something in the water he drank in Manchester :rolleyes:

An extremely tenuous link of course but interesting nonetheless.

Re:

Piconieru said:
UKAD was aware of Bonar already, but were not able to nail him, according to The Telegraph: "Britain’s anti-doping agency first became aware of the 38-year-old in 2014 after imposing a ban on a sportsman who sought to reduce his suspension by offering to turn whistle-blower.

The athlete raised allegations against Dr Bonar but was unable to provide enough evidence for UKAD to take further action under its existing powers, which are limited to the world of sport. It also decided not to share the unsubstantiated information it had been given with the GMC, although it is understood the whistle-blower was encouraged to do so. The failure of any authority to follow up the case may prove controversial following The Sunday Times sting.
Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2016/04/02/premier-league-stars-given-banned-drugs-by-british-doctor/

Tiernan-Locke?

Re: Re:

JRanton said:
Piconieru said:

Tiernan-Locke?

I would have said the same.

thehog said:
JRanton said:

Here it is:

Doubt Froome's case is related to this. I don't believe for a second that Froome is clean, but I doubt he's associated with this doctor

thehog said:
JRanton said:
Piconieru said:

Tiernan-Locke?

I wonder if someone could find a list of sportsmen banned by UKAD in 2014?

Re:

zlev11 said:
yeah, this guy seems way to half-assed to be the guy doping Sky riders. they'd had to have been real stupid to use this guy.

What do you mean by half-assed?

If there has been doping by the top British cyclists then this is actually the type of guy I would expect them to use. No official connection to any sport, off limits to a UKAD investigation and a privately run clinic.

JRanton said:
zlev11 said:
yeah, this guy seems way too half-assed to be the guy doping Sky riders. they'd had to have been real stupid to use this guy.

What do you mean by half-assed?

If there has been doping by the top British cyclists then this is actually the type of guy I would expect them to use. No official connection to any sport, off limits to a UKAD investigation and a privately run clinic.

this is what i thought originally when this broke, but after watching the video it just seemed like this guy was nothing special. here in the US there are tons of anti-aging doctors like this and they get caught all the time, i just can't see Sky being dumb enough to use this guy.

but then again, after Puerto it really donned on me how big of an idiot you had to be to use a guy like Fuentes. how could you bank your blood there and never think he could get busted eventually? especially when he already had a bunch of guys test positive. i guess they figured it would all get covered up like all of the soccer and tennis guys he was doping. so really, nothing would amaze me, but it just doesn't seem right.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Has to be Tiernan-Locke. The Doctor says "You want to do it off cycle or between races." Granted, cycle may refer to a cyclical event rather than the sport cycling, but the term 'racing' significantly narrows the list. Jason White (Cyclist) is the only other banned athlete from 2014 who may reasonable be described as a racer and he refused to provide a sample, so it would be unlikely to be him - whoever he may be.

Re:

Bobby G said:
Has to be Tiernan-Locke. The Doctor says "You want to do it off cycle or between races." Granted, cycle may refer to a cyclical event rather than the sport cycling, but the term 'racing' significantly narrows the list. Jason White (Cyclist) is the only other banned athlete from 2014 who may reasonable be described as a racer and he refused to provide a sample, so it would be unlikely to be him - whoever he may be.

JTL co-operated with UKADA. Whoever was working on this for the sunday times wasn't necessarily convicted themself, so it could be any cyclist (or possibly triathlete I guess)

PremierAndrew said:
Bobby G said:

JTL co-operated with UKADA. Whoever was working on this for the sunday times wasn't necessarily convicted themself, so it could be any cyclist (or possibly triathlete I guess)

They even state that the undercover guy is an athlete. The undercover guy and the sportsman banned by UKAD obviously aren't the same person. This video was taken in October 2015 and the sportsman was banned in 2014.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

CfEjh0jWQAE5Nr6.jpg:large

JRanton said:
thehog said:
JRanton said:
Piconieru said:

Tiernan-Locke?

UKAD list of current bans would be a good start.
Assuming a 2 year ban they still would be mostly there.

Catwhoorg said:
JRanton said:
thehog said:
JRanton said:
Piconieru said:

Tiernan-Locke?

http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule-violations/current-violations/search&year=2014&category=

2014 list, one cyclist, Jason White. A few Welsh Rugby players, so doubtful they were in Lomdon.

thehog said:
Catwhoorg said:

http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule-violations/current-violations/search&year=2014&category=

2014 list, one cyclist, Jason White. A few Welsh Rugby players, so doubtful they were in Lomdon.

That's a hard website to navigate. It shows individuals with current sanctions, but the historical sanctions tab only lists the violations by federation. JTL is not on the database at all for example (his sanction is not current).

It really shouldn't be hard to nail down who the alleged British Tour de France cyclists that were working with this doctor are. I mean we're talking about a minimum of 2 out of just 16 possible suspects. That revelation leaves those 16 riders very exposed.